DJI (not FAA) fighting to make it so you don't have to register your Phantom

AV News: DJI's "Defining A Lowest-Risk UA...

Interesting story about changing the registration weight. It would change the registration weight to just under 5 LBS instead of .55 LBS.

Thoughts?
I hadn't seen that, thanks. It makes sense. If it happens I wonder if we can all UNregister?
FAA probably got 30 or 40 million more registrations for drones than they had scheduled manpower to handle. (Ooops ) #whatwait!

If you look at the big picture, what purpose does it serve except in an infinitesimally small number of instances?

So, it's not the FAA that's fighting to increase the weight for registration (as the title says) and it seems DJI isn't really trying to change it either.

"Stockwell said the FAA doesn’t need to change drone registration size, but that if new regulations are put in place to assess safety standards, their 2.2 kilogram weight threshold should be considered"

"FAA fighting to make it so you don't have to register your Phantom"

I assume that you meant "DJI fighting to make it so you don't have to register your Phantom".

There is no indication so far that the FAA is willing to entertain this change.

Last edited:
Here in the U.K. we don't currently have drone registration. Although mine is registered indirectly though my Ops Manual through the CAA as I have a Permit for Aerial Work to operate commercially within the UK.
I'm planning to take my P4P to Florida in 6 weeks time. Can anyone point me to the best place where I can find info on the rules covering this situation?

The FAA was looking at this:

Attachments

• goosfaa.jpg
    goosfaa.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 404
Reactions: SkyCandyStudios
Here in the U.K. we don't currently have drone registration. Although mine is registered indirectly though my Ops Manual through the CAA as I have a Permit for Aerial Work to operate commercially within the UK.
I'm planning to take my P4P to Florida in 6 weeks time. Can anyone point me to the best place where I can find info on the rules covering this situation?

From: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?

If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the United States. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

NOTE: at this time, the FAA's online registration website can only be accessed from a computer located in the United States or its territories or possessions.

Reactions: Alec200
I changed the title to something slightly more accurate.

Reactions: Kirby Johnson
From: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?

If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the United States. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

NOTE: at this time, the FAA's online registration website can only be accessed from a computer located in the United States or its territories or possessions.

I am in Canada and registered on the FAA's online registration website yesterday, from my home computer, and used my Canadian address and other information. Got a Certificate of Registration. See attached. There is some fine print on the back.
FAA.jpg

Reactions: Alec200
Thank you for your assistance.
Just one point you could perhaps make clear in my mind-what is the difference between a operating the UAS exclusively as a model aircraft and a non-model aircraft?

Model = Recreational/Hobby
NonModel = Everything else (making money, Search & Rescue, Crop Inspection, helping a Realtor friend, .....)

AV News: DJI's "Defining A Lowest-Risk UA...

Interesting story about changing the registration weight. It would change the registration weight to just under 5 LBS instead of .55 LBS.

Thoughts?
Actually, I think that the purpose is to get the FAA to think about not raising the registration weight, but to consider the weight under which constraints like flying over people could be backed of some. The tone of the article is all about damage and damage thresholds, nothing really about registration

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1