DJI new releases coming April 23rd, help me decide.

Reaction score
So, DJI is having a press event April 23rd in Las Vegas, probably to release the Spark, but it's possible we could see a new Mavic, Phantom 5, or the Osmo 2 in addition.

Now, my problem:
I have a college graduation coming May 5th, I only get one shot at this so I need to do it right, so I plan to get an Osmo to film it. Specifically an Osmo+. Mail doesn't deliver here until late and I would like some practice as well so I need my new camera in my hands no later than May 4th. That is a firm deadline.

I know DJI is releasing new products on April 23rd and that there is a very good chance, if not a probability, it will include an Osmo 2 (we have already seen leaked photos and DJIs website says it's coming). Given DJI's track history and the price of the X4s camera compared to the X3 camera I anticipate that the price will be comparable to the existing Osmo series.

If a new model does come out the price on the old ones will fall.

Now, bearing my deadline in mind, should I order tonight and just get the Osmo+ and be sure I get it on time? Or should I wait until April 23rd on the chance that I might get the Osmo 2 for the same price, or the Osmo+ for cheaper, but at the risk of my deadline?

What do you think is in the release? What should I do?

Now, bearing my deadline in mind, should I order tonight and just get the Osmo+ and be sure I get it on time? Or should I wait until April 23rd on the chance that I might get the Osmo 2 for the same price, or the Osmo+ for cheaper, but at the risk of my deadline?
What do you think is in the release? What should I do?
DJI announced the P4 Advanced last week but if you try to order it this is what you'll see: Estimated to ship 15-20 business days after payment confirmation.
If you have a tight deadline don't count on quick availability.

DJI announced the P4 Advanced last week but if you try to order it this is what you'll see: Estimated to ship 15-20 business days after payment confirmation.
If you have a tight deadline don't count on quick availability.

But what about a price drop in the Osmo 1? How steep of a reduction are we likely to see?

Well I went for it. I was looking for an excuse to wait and see, but I have a hard deadline that I just can't risk, and besides, I would like to practice a bit first. Ofcourse you know now that I have ordered the Osmo 2 will release on the 23rd for certain, and it will rock, and cost the same price as the regular Osmo, which will, along with the +, surely plumet about $200 in price, in fact this spring event was probably to clear out stock ahead of the release, notice how the sale ends the day before?

Anyway, the new one probably wouldn't ship in time for me anyway so I guess the extra I'm paying will be simply a fee to guarantee I get it in time, at least that is how I am choosing to look at it.

It arrives Thursday "sometime before the end of the day," and that is as specific as the morons at FedEx will get, and ofcourse DJI insists on a signature, so I guess I will have to take the day off. I wonder if they will actually deliver this time? They didn't the last time.

I overpaid by at least about $80 already because I could not combine my DJI Credits with my education discount (different accounts).

Here's hoping I get a good one and get some nice footage of the graduation.

You made the right decision IMO. The Osmo+ has 3X optical zoom, plus 2X digital zoom, and you'll need that. The Osmo 2 will unlikely have optical zoom, only 2X digital zoom when shooting in 1080. The X4 camera in Osmo 2 will work better in low light because it has the 1" sensor, good for indoor shoots, but your graduation will likely be outdoors in daylight, hopefully. You may want the tripod kit, handy to elevate the Osmo an extra 3' when needed.

Last edited:
I first got an OSMO Mobile. On first release, it's software had a problem. Both the OSMO Mobile and the iPhone7 were trying to manage the stabilization process. The result was shaky video images and a hot gimbal motor on the OSMO.

DJI accepted a trade-in of my OSMO Mobile for an OSMO+. I was glad. The OSMO+ worked nicely, BUT it was missing one nice feature that the OSMO Mobile had ... ACTIVE TRACKING. While the OSMO+ stabilized the image, I had to manually track my subjects. Now ACTIVE TRACKING is in all of DJI's drones. My guess is that it is a feature that would be added to the OSMO 2. I would wait for this feature. The issue will be timing of the announcement and first ship.

Well I went for it. I was looking for an excuse to wait and see, but I have a hard deadline that I just can't risk, and besides, I would like to practice a bit first. Ofcourse you know now that I have ordered the Osmo 2 will release on the 23rd for certain, and it will rock, and cost the same price as the regular Osmo, which will, along with the +, surely plumet about $200 in price, in fact this spring event was probably to clear out stock ahead of the release, notice how the sale ends the day before?

Anyway, the new one probably wouldn't ship in time for me anyway so I guess the extra I'm paying will be simply a fee to guarantee I get it in time, at least that is how I am choosing to look at it.

It arrives Thursday "sometime before the end of the day," and that is as specific as the morons at FedEx will get, and ofcourse DJI insists on a signature, so I guess I will have to take the day off. I wonder if they will actually deliver this time? They didn't the last time.

I overpaid by at least about $80 already because I could not combine my DJI Credits with my education discount (different accounts).

Here's hoping I get a good one and get some nice footage of the graduation.

Wondering why you insist on calling the FedX drivers "morons"? They are just the folks that deliver products, that's all. Please be more considerate when expressing your thoughts about your fellow man. Never think too highly of yourself, what ever goes up, must come down. When I owned a business I posted a sign in the shop that read, "LACK OF PLANNING ON YOUR PART DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART"! Thank you for your consideration.

Wondering why you insist on calling the FedX drivers "morons"? They are just the folks that deliver products, that's all. Please be more considerate when expressing your thoughts about your fellow man. Never think too highly of yourself, what ever goes up, must come down. When I owned a business I posted a sign in the shop that read, "LACK OF PLANNING ON YOUR PART DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART"! Thank you for your consideration.
I agree with you in principal but clearly he was not speaking of the drivers-as the drivers are not the people that plan your shipment and provide updates for it. As said; your comment is much valid as we should try to be considerate of our fellow man and your comment also inspires me to consider my words as I move forward as well-thanks!

Reactions: Marvin Roberts
are you expecting FedEx to give you the exact minute it would be delivered?
It sounds to me like you're the moron if you even think that's possible

Reactions: John Locke
are you expecting FedEx to give you the exact minute it would be delivered?
It sounds to me like you're the moron if you even think that's possible

No, but I have had horrible experience with FedEx in the past. In this case they delivered it OK, but it was still not incident free. I found out that if I signed up on their site I could get a slightly better estimate than "by the end of the day," they estimated 1:05-3:00. The package arrived at 12:00 right when I was getting ready to leave to run a quick errand, I barely recieved it.

I'm not overly upset about that, my issue with them is that in the past I had an issue with the driver just flat not delivering. He would either not show up at all (when I am deliberately staying home all day waiting) and just punch into the computer that he tried but no one was home, or he would not even get the box out of the truck, just get out of the truck, missed delivery sticker in hand, and leave it on the door. Repeated calls to customer service resulted in nothing but them repeatedly saying that I was not home (when I deliberately was) that they would not attempt delivery more than three times and that if I wanted my package I would have to drive an hour and a half (each way) to their distribution center. I managed to intercept the lying bastard on day three, sticker in hand but no box.

You made the right decision IMO. The Osmo+ has 3X optical zoom, plus 2X digital zoom, and you'll need that. The Osmo 2 will unlikely have optical zoom, only 2X digital zoom when shooting in 1080. The X4 camera in Osmo 2 will work better in low light because it has the 1" sensor, good for indoor shoots, but your graduation will likely be outdoors in daylight, hopefully. You may want the tripod kit, handy to elevate the Osmo an extra 3' when needed.

Unfortunately my graduation is indoors, inside a hockey rink.

The right decision? The graduation video that hopefully you will share with us will answer that question.

I hope to do just that. I would like to get out and practice with my new Osmo+ as well as get some B role with my Phantom 4 but the weather and my schedule have not been cooperating. If I am free it's raining, if I am not free it is sunny and beautiful.

Unable to make a decision, but calls others "morons"?

I first got an OSMO Mobile. On first release, it's software had a problem. Both the OSMO Mobile and the iPhone7 were trying to manage the stabilization process. The result was shaky video images and a hot gimbal motor on the OSMO.

DJI accepted a trade-in of my OSMO Mobile for an OSMO+. I was glad. The OSMO+ worked nicely, BUT it was missing one nice feature that the OSMO Mobile had ... ACTIVE TRACKING. While the OSMO+ stabilized the image, I had to manually track my subjects. Now ACTIVE TRACKING is in all of DJI's drones. My guess is that it is a feature that would be added to the OSMO 2. I would wait for this feature. The issue will be timing of the announcement and first ship.
Hmm, that's odd why Active Tracking is not in the Osmo+, I assumed it was, and I was thinking of buying one. I have the Osmo Mobile and active track works great with my Android LG-G2. I haven't noticed any major issues yet. I haven't tried it with an iPhone yet.

It arrives Thursday "sometime before the end of the day," and that is as specific as the morons at FedEx will get, and of course DJI insists on a signature, so I guess I will have to take the day off. I wonder if they will actually deliver this time? They didn't the last time.
If you enroll online with a free FedEx account for yourself, FedEx will notify you the minute any package leaves it's shipping point, headed to your address, from any vendor. At that point you can divert the delivery location of any undelivered package, real time, changing it to a local FedEx Kinkos store in your area, allowing you to stop by at your convenience to sign and pick it up.

UPS has this too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.