DJI ND Filters vs The Others

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm in the market for an ND 8 and 16 filter. I see DJI makes them now. How does the glass on these compare to SRP or Polar Pro?

I tried searching but I didn't see any comparisons.

I had the DJI ND4 found that quite good but dont know how it compares.

I just bought some filters for my advanced but lens cap won't unscrew lol.completely solid
if you squeeze it too tight it pushes the metal ring into the threads, you need to wrap a rubber band around it and put even pressure around the ring as you uncrew. It will come loose, I have had to do it to a few different phantoms and it has always eventually come loose. be gentle so you don't damage your gimbal.

Hey all. I'm in the market for an ND 8 and 16 filter. I see DJI makes them now. How does the glass on these compare to SRP or Polar Pro?

I tried searching but I didn't see any comparisons.
The Polar Pro filters are ok, if you order directly from them you will get a carry case since everyone was complaining (myself included) about the lack of one. I personally never used the ND4 filter and ND8 works great but I hate that I only have 2 ND options in the Polar Pro Set, If you spend more money you can have more ND options. That is where the @Rainbowers set comes into play. I knew if I was going to spend slightly more than $100 on a set of filters I would have to get the rainbowers kit. It comes with 2 graduated filters and you can use 2 different filters at a time. Before I ordered the rainbowers kit I ordered an adjustable ND filter from Amazon. You can twist it and adjust it on the fly which was ideal to me so I could find the best exposure for filming with a shutter speed at 2x my frame rate. I haven't tested the rainbowers filters or the adjustable ND filter yet but I will post a review when I do. Until then, here is a picture of all 3.
IMG_5908.JPG
IMG_5909.JPG

The main selling point for me on the rainbowers kit was the graduated filters

Attachments

• G4 Filter.JPG
    G4 Filter.JPG
    641.4 KB · Views: 500
see DJI makes them now. How does the glass on these compare to SRP or Polar Pro?
I have all of these filters. I don't know how the glass compares, but I can tell you they are all quality products. The only thing I don't like about the SRP filters is that they are very hard to slide on and off the camera. They are just too snug.

could you link to a variable nd that fits the phantom 3? i also would like the combination variable nd and graduated nd?

The Polar Pro filters are ok, if you order directly from them you will get a carry case since everyone was complaining (myself included) about the lack of one. I personally never used the ND4 filter and ND8 works great but I hate that I only have 2 ND options in the Polar Pro Set, If you spend more money you can have more ND options. That is where the @Rainbowers set comes into play. I knew if I was going to spend slightly more than $100 on a set of filters I would have to get the rainbowers kit. It comes with 2 graduated filters and you can use 2 different filters at a time. Before I ordered the rainbowers kit I ordered an adjustable ND filter from Amazon. You can twist it and adjust it on the fly which was ideal to me so I could find the best exposure for filming with a shutter speed at 2x my frame rate. I haven't tested the rainbowers filters or the adjustable ND filter yet but I will post a review when I do. Until then, here is a picture of all 3.View attachment 42757 View attachment 42758

could you link to a variable nd that fits the phantom 3? i also would like the combination variable nd and graduated nd?
This is the variable ND filter I have, I have not had a chance to test it yet as I am having to send my P3P in for service due to a gimbal problem and focus problems. It does weigh 8 grams more than the phantom UV filter so i am guessing it will need to be balanced in the same manner as the rainbowers filters. This is the thread to the rainbowers filters, see post 249 for ordering instructions:
The professional filter set for the Phantom 3

To be clear the variable ND cannot be used with the graduated nd, they are 2 different systems.

The only thing I don't like about the SRP filters is that they are very hard to slide on and off the camera. They are just too snug.
This is hot and miss due to tolerance variations of the DJI filter ring. I still have my first DJI stock filter from my very first P3P. Fits well. It's tight on my new P3P. So I just removed the scratched UV out of the 1st filter and mount my SRPs to it.

ah thx.

ps what nds are used in diffrent timer of day? is it the following

nd 32 (mid day strong sun).
nd 16 (afternoon light clouds)
nd8 (eavning w ligt clouds)
nd4 (sunsets) ?

The variable ND I have has darkening is top left and bottom right quadrants of the frame, I think this is the result of using polarized glass for the variable capability. Also a bit tinted as I am pretty sure they are resin based.... Wouldn't recommend them, although very convenient. I am going rainbowers, most flexibility in that you can stack filters etc. DJI are great from what I gave read, but you can't stack em.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Sinisalo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers