DJI Lightbridge Long Range Antenna Mod for 5-10KM flight (4 watt)

Droneted

Phantom 4 gimbal repair advice
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got one of these from Fstop Labs.com. I am really impressed with how well this mod works. I usually fly line of sight as I don't want to loss my P4. When the video feed drops I bring it back. If I can't see where I am going I get very uncomfortable. So I thought I would try one of these. It looked a little bulky but it turned out not to be so bad. First I had to open my remote. That is always scary. If you nick a ribbon cable you are done. Well I went on YouTube and watched a few videos. A couple of hours later and I was in the air. First I went out to where I usually loose the video. It was still there. I got real brave and took it farther than I have ever been. Rock solid video feed. I probably went about half as far as it said I could. That was enough for one day. After I got it back home, I thought, gee why didn't you turn on record?
I give it an "A" rating. It is really a cool device.
14963160_10209736155013126_1671871533209812662_n-380x285.jpg
14947546_10209736154573115_2160401750895925455_n-380x285.jpg
By the way, I am not in any way affiliated with Fstop. I use a lot of their parts for repair P3 and P4 cameras. Apparently they sell a lot of other toys for boys.

Reactions: Quamera
Hey guys, I just got one of these from Fstop Labs.com. I am really impressed with how well this mod works. I usually fly line of sight as I don't want to loss my P4. When the video feed drops I bring it back. If I can't see where I am going I get very uncomfortable. So I thought I would try one of these. It looked a little bulky but it turned out not to be so bad. First I had to open my remote. That is always scary. If you nick a ribbon cable you are done. Well I went on YouTube and watched a few videos. A couple of hours later and I was in the air. First I went out to where I usually loose the video. It was still there. I got real brave and took it farther than I have ever been. Rock solid video feed. I probably went about half as far as it said I could. That was enough for one day. After I got it back home, I thought, gee why didn't you turn on record?
I give it an "A" rating. It is really a cool device. View attachment 72249 View attachment 72250 By the way, I am not in any way affiliated with Fstop. I use a lot of their parts for repair P3 and P4 cameras. Apparently they sell a lot of other toys for boys.

I just purchased one of these and albeit I didn't really let the battery charge up that much (it was red and almost beeping while flying) --- I am disappointed in the upgrade. I am flying in my backyard which is a very congested area, probably 200+ houses in the immediate area, with high power lines, trees, etc. I know its a noisy area --- Stock antenna's got 2000 FEET away from me. After I hooked this up I flew in the same direction and lost HD video signal at the same distance - I can tell it was trying to pick it back up but it wasnt working very well. I unlocked all 32 of my channels in order to assist, but I am hoping I didn't just waste my money ---

What are your thoughts? is is just because the battery was low/dying?

Thanks
New Pilot.

Did that really work? I means in my opinion the video comes from the drone and this module plugs in the RC, I dont think it enhances the video signal quality since the transmitting power is the same

Charge it up and try again. I am out in an open area by a lake so i have no interferance

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thanks for telling us about the mod you did, I am very disappointed with the 500 to 700 metres range from my stock P4.

Even though we do have plenty of trees the nearest house is several kilometers away, phone tower 14 km and the closest town over 40 kilometers away so there is nil electrical interference. I usually launch from a cleared area and I can loose contact and/or video while I can still see the aircraft which is by then flying over trees but 20 or 30 metres above them. I need about 2km range to check watering points and find wandering stock but so far that's not looking possible despite a claimed 5km range in perfect conditions.

Do you know how the Fstop labs setup compares in price and performance to the other mods on the market. There is an immensely long discussion somewhere on this forum about antenna mods but at over 60 pages I am not quite game to tackle it!

Did that really work? I means in my opinion the video comes from the drone and this module plugs in the RC, I dont think it enhances the video signal quality since the transmitting power is the same
If it safely increases the gain on the Rx it is nearly as good as increasing the Tx power on the Phantom until the background noise takes over.

Reactions: Droneted
Thanks for telling us about the mod you did, I am very disappointed with the 500 to 700 metres range from my stock P4.

Even though we do have plenty of trees the nearest house is several kilometers away, phone tower 14 km and the closest town over 40 kilometers away so there is nil electrical interference. I usually launch from a cleared area and I can loose contact and/or video while I can still see the aircraft which is by then flying over trees but 20 or 30 metres above them. I need about 2km range to check watering points and find wandering stock but so far that's not looking possible despite a claimed 5km range in perfect conditions.

Do you know how the Fstop labs setup compares in price and performance to the other mods on the market. There is an immensely long discussion somewhere on this forum about antenna mods but at over 60 pages I am not quite game to tackle it!
I really don't know as this is my first attempt at long range antennas. I have no experience with anything else. Maybe someone on here can help you.

Received my kit yesterday. Unfortunately I won't have enough free time any time soon to do the install.

I do have a question though - are the supplied antennae decent, or total crap?

-Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20