DJI Launches Public Beta of New Geofencing System

I issue/concern I have with these changes is that the laws are different in each country. I don't want restrictions enforced on me, that are only applicable in the United States. Worse still, I can see them not being updated in a timely fashion in our region and we getting outdated restrictions and boundaries.

But other than the restricted (red) areas (and there don't seem to be many of those), you can easily self-certify in the yellow areas and fly in those areas just fine.

And the "restrictions" don't appear to be "US based" but mostly appear to be major airports.

Are any other manufacturers going this far to cripple their drones? I've been an opponent of DJi's nanny-fencing "features" ever since they were foisted upon us. This is likely a strong reason why I'll likely look to other manufacturers for future purchases.

Manufacturers should stay away from playing nanny with their creations - if their users wish to fly somewhere that gets them into trouble, that's the customer's problem and not DJI's. Treat us like freaking adults, for goodness sake.

3DR is going to be implementing a similar feature.

However, this system (as implemented by DJI) is not 'crippling' your drone. You actually will be able to fly in locations that are currently blocked.

But to each his own. Carry on as you wish.

3DR is going to be implementing a similar feature.

However, this system (as implemented by DJI) is not 'crippling' your drone. You actually will be able to fly in locations that are currently blocked.

Well, I guess that's a reason to start buying up some more non-DJI equipment now then. I'd beg to differ about your opinion - any software which creates a no-fly area that cannot be overridden or turned off permanently by the user does indeed cripple the drone. My understanding is that there are still going to be certain "red zone" areas that users will not be able to override, no matter what... that's crippling the equipment in my book.

Again, manufacturers should just make the equipment and let users do what they want with it. If someone chooses to fly their drone 50 feet off of a runway at Dulles, then the authorities can catch them and deal with them accordingly. The vast majority of owners are already responsible enough to not deserve to be treated like children.

I also don't like the idea of having to have a verified account to disable a lock-out zone. Why is it any of DJI's business (or anybody else's business) where you choose to fly, as long as you aren't endangering yourself or others in the process?

Again, manufacturers should just make the equipment and let users do what they want with it. If someone chooses to fly their drone 50 feet off of a runway at Dulles, then the authorities can catch them and deal with them accordingly. The vast majority of owners are already responsible enough to not deserve to be treated like children.

I see no reason why DJI would just want to do this on their own. Truth is, they don't. This _minor_ annoyance is to avoid further/more restrictive government intervention. I suspect there is some limited liability involved as well but I'd say it's mostly further restrictions. There is simply no way around it. You can complain but the alternative would be far worse.

"The verified account is required only if a user chooses to fly in a location that might raise aviation safety or security concerns"

You know, I think this is what should have happened INSTEAD of the registry. I just hope there will be a system in place to keep people from being overzealous. For example, a luddite doesn't want drones in state and local parks just because he thinks the noise is intrusive....

Congress could do what they do with automobiles. Pass a law saying that by 2017 every drone over a certain weight limit have this feature.

It makes more sense than a national registry of toy users.

So I took a look at the map DJI provides on the GEO information page. Not happy.

As far as what's come down the pike already, I have no problem registering, I have no problem with restricted airspace, I have no problem with an airmen's knowledge course or test so UAS pilots know where they are flying, the types of airspace and how it all is supposed to work. I do not believe the US national airspace should be open for use by anyone anytime anonymously.

But I do have a problem with dumb rules for the sake of making a show of "doing something". First of all, a five mile restriction around airports is ignorant. No one in general aviation is below 400 feet five miles from an airport, not even helicopters, unless they are military or air ambulance (which is anywhere, not just around airports). Most traffic pattern altitudes are set between 800-1000 feet AGL, so what is the FAA and DJI thinking in restricting a backyard flyer from taking off and staying below 400 feet if they are 4 miles from the airport?

My biggest issue with GEO is the errors. In NJ, there is a large joint military base called McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. Around this base is an "alert area", which is a box on a sectional chart. This box alerts pilots that military activity will be occurring in this area (basically airborne refuelers coming in and out). There are no restrictions on flying into or around the box (other than class D airspace) on general aviation pilots at all! According to the GEO web site, this should be a "green" box alert area with no restrictions, but DJI's map makes the whole alert area a yellow "Authorization" zone. Now every time I want to fly I have to log in and unlock. Ludicris. On top of this pain in the a$$, I was flight planning for the future in Winslow, NJ. This area is surrounded by 3 airports (Cross-Keys, Hammonton Muni and Camden County. Only Hammonton was marked on DJI's chart, with no reference or restriction for the other airports, its as if they are not there. Mind you, these are not small, private fields, but busy general aviation airports. This is an unacceptable error of ommision on DJI's part.

To be fair, this is only the beta of GEO, but I truly hope they get their system straight before it becomes a "forced" update.

For sh$ts and giggles, I gave the unlock function a try, it took just a minute and the authorization zone was unlocked for 3 days. I like the ability to self-certify, and to open up previous no-fly zones.

If DJI is going to make this work, they need to have updated, accurate information. There will also need to a feedback pathway for pilots to alert DJI to errors such as missed airports or zones that are "Authorization" or "Restricted" zones but shouldn't be.

So I took a look at the map DJI provides on the GEO information page. Not happy.

As far as what's come down the pike already, I have no problem registering, I have no problem with restricted airspace, I have no problem with an airmen's knowledge course or test so UAS pilots know where they are flying, the types of airspace and how it all is supposed to work. I do not believe the US national airspace should be open for use by anyone anytime anonymously.

But I do have a problem with dumb rules for the sake of making a show of "doing something". First of all, a five mile restriction around airports is ignorant. No one in general aviation is below 400 feet five miles from an airport, not even helicopters, unless they are military or air ambulance (which is anywhere, not just around airports). Most traffic pattern altitudes are set between 800-1000 feet AGL, so what is the FAA and DJI thinking in restricting a backyard flyer from taking off and staying below 400 feet if they are 4 miles from the airport?

My biggest issue with GEO is the errors. In NJ, there is a large joint military base called McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. Around this base is an "alert area", which is a box on a sectional chart. This box alerts pilots that military activity will be occurring in this area (basically airborne refuelers coming in and out). There are no restrictions on flying into or around the box (other than class D airspace) on general aviation pilots at all! According to the GEO web site, this should be a "green" box alert area with no restrictions, but DJI's map makes the whole alert area a yellow "Authorization" zone. Now every time I want to fly I have to log in and unlock. Ludicris. On top of this pain in the a$$, I was flight planning for the future in Winslow, NJ. This area is surrounded by 3 airports (Cross-Keys, Hammonton Muni and Camden County. Only Hammonton was marked on DJI's chart, with no reference or restriction for the other airports, its as if they are not there. Mind you, these are not small, private fields, but busy general aviation airports. This is an unacceptable error of ommision on DJI's part.

To be fair, this is only the beta of GEO, but I truly hope they get their system straight before it becomes a "forced" update.

For sh$ts and giggles, I gave the unlock function a try, it took just a minute and the authorization zone was unlocked for 3 days. I like the ability to self-certify, and to open up previous no-fly zones.

If DJI is going to make this work, they need to have updated, accurate information. There will also need to a feedback pathway for pilots to alert DJI to errors such as missed airports or zones that are "Authorization" or "Restricted" zones but shouldn't be.
DrJoe, when you unlocked the restriction does it allow you to fly above the 500m limit or is that still locked. Could you check when you have a chance?

Thank You.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4