DJI Groundstation announcement

And unfortunately not all good news.....from the Facebook comments DJI Global posted this answering one user question. "Hi Clifford, you will need to add a Bluetooth unit to your Phantom 2 or Phantom 2 Vision to make this work."

Yeah but I think that was expected wasnt it?
I presume you "bluetooth" the waypoint data up to the phantom then send it on its way?

Hmm, I was just checking the details for this and it works on 2.4g so how does this work alongside the 2.4g controller ??

2trickpony said:
Hmm, I was just checking the details for this and it works on 2.4g so how does this work alongside the 2.4g controller ??

The current groundstation setup works fine on 2.4GHz even when using that for the main control channel as well.

What device are we going to need for this? DJI haven't made it clear at all.

BTU? 2.4G GS? Or maybe a new device?
I can't see them using the BTU as it's range is only about 25 meters. The 2.4G GS is a big device and wouldn't really fit on the Phantom.

rilot said:
What device are we going to need for this? DJI haven't made it clear at all.

BTU? 2.4G GS? Or maybe a new device?
I can't see them using the BTU as it's range is only about 25 meters. The 2.4G GS is a big device and wouldn't really fit on the Phantom.

Unsure but wouldnt this just be the straight DJI BTU needed (17gram) that would plug into the single CAN port on main P2V board ?? (shows range at 50M) have they done something to make this a easy ground based app "waypoint addition" upgrade, somehow ??
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/BTU_Module_Setup

Dont you only use the 2.4 datalink if you want to fully change config while still flying at distance and you have in that scenario the BTU on the ground and use the 2.4 to transmit config ??
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/2.4G_BT_Datalink_&_iPad_Ground_Station

Not an expert .... so listening :)

You would use the current iOS ground station. There are three components to the ground station. You have an RX that connects with canbus to your phantom 2 (if using mini iosd then you connect it to pass thru canbus on the iosd). It also has a TX and the bluetooth module.

The bluetooth connects to the TX and that talks to your iPad. Your TX also connects to a power source (in my setup it connects to a phantom 1 battery). The TX talks to your RX. The iPad sends info to your TX (via bluetooth) and the Phantom gets the info via the RX on a 2.4 connection. Your current phantom controller stays on. It's "bypassed" but should there be a situation that requires immediate action, you flip the IOC switch (or maybe it's the GPS/ATT switch, it's been a while) up and down and that allows you to take over and manually control the phantom.

So yes bluetooth only gives you a few feet but it's a moot point because it only connects to the iPad. I think Phantom 2 vision users will have a watered down version which is controlled through the phantom vision app. It's my understanding that you'll be toggling back and forth between navigation screen and FPV screen. Not the ideal situation but to maintain the ready to fly of the vision, it will need to be that way.

So, if what Ksc says is correct, then it will be the same as the system I use on my S800. The air-end of that system is a pretty sizeable box, a bit bigger than the AVL58 but flatter. Hmmm.

It's larger than the mini iosd. I have it already on my P2. Behind the zenmuse is the IRC FPV tx and behind that is the ground station rx. On top of the ground station rx is the mini iosd. It all fits just fine. If you are using the dji FPV setup, mount it on its side with the fan facing the rear and the same setup will fit.

I am still waiting for this GS, which I have paid for

"December 04 2013
Additionally, a separate firmware and mobile phone App update will be released providing the Phantom 2 Vision with Ground Station capabilities including waypoint editing and autonomous waypoint navigation. The update will be released around the end of December or early January."

"iPad Ground Station support for the Phantom 2 is just about ready! We apologise for the long delay. The system is now 100% functional and has been thoroughly tested. All that remains is to make it compliant with the many UAV regulations now emerging all over the world. This process going at full steam and we expect to launch in approximately 2 weeks. Again, we sincerely apologise for the long delay."

This is worrying... first we buy a product being promised something that isn't there. And then we are told that we'll be getting an inferior version...

What does it mean "make it compliant with the many UAV regulations"? Is it going to limit altitude or range? The GS is for BVR (beyond visual range) flight as advertised right? Compliant is dependent on the use case and the user and not the equipment. Should Chevy limit their Corvette to 100km/h because that's the speed limit on roads in the country?

Existing GS Naza V2 owners, you may want to get all your firmeware and updates done right now because the next update may seriously restrict what you can do.

macheung said:
"iPad Ground Station support for the Phantom 2 is just about ready! We apologise for the long delay. The system is now 100% functional and has been thoroughly tested. All that remains is to make it compliant with the many UAV regulations now emerging all over the world. This process going at full steam and we expect to launch in approximately 2 weeks. Again, we sincerely apologise for the long delay."

This is worrying... first we buy a product being promised something that isn't there. And then we are told that we'll be getting an inferior version...

What does it mean "make it compliant with the many UAV regulations"? Is it going to limit altitude or range? The GS is for BVR (beyond visual range) flight as advertised right? Compliant is dependent on the use case and the user and not the equipment. Should Chevy limit their Corvette to 100km/h because that's the speed limit on roads in the country?

Existing GS Naza V2 owners, you may want to get all your firmeware and updates done right now because the next update may seriously restrict what you can do.

Definitely, and I'm watching closely to see if they also cripple the existing GS at all. I'm current on firmware updates, and I don't think they could remove previous functionality without a new one, but it will still be interesting to see how it plays out.

While factory speed limitations in cars is a debate that has raged on for decades without much resultant legislation, I do think if Corvettes could run autonomously and started running people over when the driver wasn't in control, that would be pretty easy pickings for your average tort lawyer.

HAS ANYONE performed the 2.0 upgrades for Groundstation to work with the PHANTOM 2? I just did it and noticed it says to upgrade the IOSD MINI as well? How do you do that from a Mac? Where is the IOSD MINI firmware download?
:shock:

You have to do it on a PC or run an emulator on your Mac like Parallels or similar...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj