Dji Go vs Litchi App - Android

Reaction score
Hey guys,

One week old owner here of a P3S and having lots of fun with this machine :) I've been lurking on the forums and watching lots of videos trying to learn as much as i can. Then stumbled upon the issues that android can have with the DJI GO app causing flyaways etc due to not using google maps. Is this true guys? My first few flights i used the DJI GO app on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and didn't fly it too far to RTH thankfully.

I then switched to litchi and had a few flights with it. Still haven't taken it into the distance since I'm sceptical and want to know where i stand with litchi. I read that as long as im not in VR mode, head, track and follow mode litchi will initiate an automatic RTH on signal loss or low battery. Is this correct?

Also if i had to switch back to the DJI GO app what version should i be using in order to not worry about the fly away issues?

I'm stuck between using the two apps and want to stick to one.

Thanks for any help :)

Regards
Jake

If your using litchi make sure to set the loss of signal action to rth and you will be fine.for dji go most people use version 3.0.1 as its the latest that uses Google maps and the rth is accurate.

Sent from my SM-T550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jakeaheli
Then stumbled upon the issues that android can have with the DJI GO app causing flyaways etc due to not using google maps. Is this true guys?
It could happen if you're using DJI GO 3.1.2 on an Android device. If you're going to use DJI GO, use an older version until DJI releases a new version.

I use litch exclusively. RTH has worked every time in invoke. There have been a few times I have screwed up with my waypoint missions and left the drone way out there at the end of a mission. When that happens I put litchi into home loc mode and fly back manually using a down right stick. Just make sure you are high enough before coming home.

Reactions: jakeaheli
Hey guys,

One week old owner here of a P3S and having lots of fun with this machine :) I've been lurking on the forums and watching lots of videos trying to learn as much as i can. Then stumbled upon the issues that android can have with the DJI GO app causing flyaways etc due to not using google maps. Is this true guys? My first few flights i used the DJI GO app on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and didn't fly it too far to RTH thankfully.

I then switched to litchi and had a few flights with it. Still haven't taken it into the distance since I'm sceptical and want to know where i stand with litchi. I read that as long as im not in VR mode, head, track and follow mode litchi will initiate an automatic RTH on signal loss or low battery. Is this correct?

Also if i had to switch back to the DJI GO app what version should i be using in order to not worry about the fly away issues?

I'm stuck between using the two apps and want to stick to one.

Thanks for any help :)

Regards
Jake
It is not a problem due to not using Google maps.
Version 3.1.1 works good and uses same maps (Here maps).
It is a software issue, wich only occurs on Android, not on IOS.

Reactions: jakeaheli and Pharm
Thank-you all for the replies :)

If i did have to go with either 3.0.1 or 3.1.1 for DJI GO where can i get it from?

Also for you guys who are using litchi does RTH work when using a cheap set of VR goggles with head tracking vertically as i understand the P3S doesn't have horizontal head tracking right?

I really want to see what range i can get but am a little scared trying it with either the litchi or DJI GO app just incase i got something wrong.
So you guys reckon if i use litchi, the only thing i need to change is loss of signal to RTH?

Also have you had an instance with litchi other than when using missions OR manual flying where you've lost contact with the drone and its RTH worked without any issues?

Is there a manual way on the RC itself to activate RTH regardless of what app im using?

Sorry about all the questions

Jake

UPDATE:

I just been reading around some forums and FB posts and apparently DJI have fixed the android bug of incorrect home-point with version 3.1.2. Although the version number hasn't changed. Some folks are saying that the GPS is pointing to exactly where they are now.

I'm testing this now without the blades to see if this is the case.

Jake

Yes, DJI did fix this problem. All Android users should reinstall DJI GO 3.1.2 from the Google Play store.

So i've re-installed the android 3.1.2 version after the 7th Feb update. Still can't get maps to work on DJI GO app. If i hit the map area in lower left corner i get the following message on picture 2. Any idea whats going on?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-10-11-41-51.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-10-11-41-51.png
    568.8 KB · Views: 452
  • Screenshot_2017-02-10-11-42-20.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-10-11-42-20.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 467
I seem to be having no issues on litchi (See picture attached) Do i need GPS positioning on my phone as well. I don't think this was the case when i first flew with the DJI GO app. I'm a little bit confused. Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_20170210_115539.jpg
    IMG_20170210_115539.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 500
I ran both dji go 3.13 and litchi today in a field with no interference with my P3s. The range seems to be a lot better with Litchi. I was loosing video at 700ft with dji go. I came back and landed, started litchi and went out to 1700ft with no loss of any signal. I would have went farther but there is a hill with trees at 2300ft. But in this screen shot you can see the difference in signal strength in both flights.
djigo3.13vsLitchi.jpg

There shouldn't be any inherent difference in range between the two apps, but DJI GO may have been set to a higher return link bitrate (which will reduce range, or at least probably result in more 'minor signal errors.')

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik