DJI Go or Litchi?

Reaction score
Aloha everyone...

I am brand new to this avocation and am really jazzed. Ordered my Phantom 3 4K and it'll arrive on Monday - I am so excited - longing to explore the mapping possibilities and of course the photography.

My question is: I was thrilled to see the display on the DJI Go ap and then found reference to Litchi and Top Pilot and another [forgot name] which one is best, they all seem to be very similar in capabilities...

The only caveat I see is the warning Litchi gives about loosing signal and Phantom goes into hover not RTH.
[is it possible to then turn off Litchi or start DJI Go to initiate a RTH?]

Thanks - and I am sure I will be seeking all your combined experiences at times...

Aloha

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum Puna .
I would start with the Go app and get the feel for your new bird then add apps if I wanted .

Reactions: Squirrel!
Agree with dirkclod.. but both litchi and go app have return to home. go app when loss of signal you can choose what the AC will do. I believe default is to come home. Get familiar with go app first then consider litchi for waypoint flight missions..my suggestion. Once many use litchi they dont go back. Purely depends on what you are using yours for. Highly suggest also you read the contents of the manual and learn your AC as much as you can. Good luck!!

Mahalo guys... great advice...
Been playing with the Litchi dashboard planing flights and POI with sweeping camera pans... lots of fun... All this and I haven't even left Terra yet, so yeah - great advice will heed it for sure. Also bought prop guards cause I am sure gonna need them...
Aloha
PP

Oh... It arrived this evening... 4 days before it was due... But don't ya know it... we have a major storm heading our way out of the east pacific... last time we had one like this 4 trees hit my house. So I will be battening down for the next 4-5 days for sure...

If I can give you one unrelated piece of advice.
Make sure you read the section of the manual regarding RTH, and fully understand the way it functions.
From just landing where it is if within 20m distance when initiated, to NOT touching the controller sticks when RTH first initiates (it will stop accenting and start heading home if you do. Bad if objects are in the way).
I read about too many new owners who have crashed or lost their bird due to one of the above.
Oh yeah, whatever you do, DON'T USE CSC TO STOP THE MOTORS WHEN YOU LAND.
Just hold the left stick down after it is on the ground and this will shut the motors down.
Unless of course you want it to flip over like a puppy happy to see you :)
And no, holding left stick down will not kill the motors while in the air, only when on the ground.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
I just don't want you to make the same mistake many others have made.

MB

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Make sure you read the section of the manual regarding RTH, and fully understand the way it functions.
From just landing where it is if within 20m distance when initiated, to NOT touching the controller sticks when RTH first initiates (it will stop accenting and start heading home if you do. Bad if objects are in the way).
I read about too many new owners who have crashed or lost their bird due to one of the above.
Just hold the left stick down after it is on the ground and this will shut the motors down.
And no, holding left stick down will not kill the motors while in the air, only when on the ground.

MB

Hey thanks for that MasterBlaster... good advice... Just took my bird out for it's maiden flight... OMFG I love this thing... I can see really getting into it... One of the first mods I have to do though is increase the battery life.

Anyway, back to your advice... I should have read this thread before I went out this morning... cause yeah... I had to fly it in Manual mode without the go ap - for some reason it said no signal and I couldn't see camera view... well this was just a test flight - but on landing... i did the CSC thing and yep... rolled right over on its back like my dog... lucky no broke props.

Again thanks to all...

PP

Hey thanks for that MasterBlaster... good advice... Just took my bird out for it's maiden flight... OMFG I love this thing... I can see really getting into it... One of the first mods I have to do though is increase the battery life.

Anyway, back to your advice... I should have read this thread before I went out this morning... cause yeah... I had to fly it in Manual mode without the go ap - for some reason it said no signal and I couldn't see camera view... well this was just a test flight - but on landing... i did the CSC thing and yep... rolled right over on its back like my dog... lucky no broke props.

Again thanks to all...

PP

Yeah they are a lot of fun, and it seems like the fun never ends :)
Just be careful and have fun.
Glad you didn't break anything. I flipped mine the first week. Killed a motor. That was back in Feb and have not had an incident since.
BTW, mine does that sometimes, won't connect. I pull the USB out of my tablet, stick it right back in, and it picks it up right away. I do it with everything on, app open. Not sure why, but it works for me when it happens.
Make sure you also power on I the following order - RC, Quad, App.
That's what most on here say anyway :)
Can't wait to see some videos!

MB

Agree with dirkclod.. but both litchi and go app have return to home. go app when loss of signal you can choose what the AC will do. I believe default is to come home. Get familiar with go app first then consider litchi for waypoint flight missions..my suggestion. Once many use litchi they dont go back. Purely depends on what you are using yours for. Highly suggest also you read the contents of the manual and learn your AC as much as you can. Good luck!!
Not true on one point. Litchi does NOT have a RTH option. It's only by controller, not software.

Reactions: Mfoster82
Aloha everyone...

I am brand new to this avocation and am really jazzed. Ordered my Phantom 3 4K and it'll arrive on Monday - I am so excited - longing to explore the mapping possibilities and of course the photography.

My question is: I was thrilled to see the display on the DJI Go ap and then found reference to Litchi and Top Pilot and another [forgot name] which one is best, they all seem to be very similar in capabilities...

The only caveat I see is the warning Litchi gives about loosing signal and Phantom goes into hover not RTH.
[is it possible to then turn off Litchi or start DJI Go to initiate a RTH?]

Thanks - and I am sure I will be seeking all your combined experiences at times...

Aloha
"The only caveat I see is the warning Litchi gives about loosing signal and Phantom goes into hover not RTH.
[is it possible to then turn off Litchi or start DJI Go to initiate a RTH?]"
Think about your question, if control is lost what good would switching apps have. There's still not control contact.
And your statement about it only going into a hover is only in certain flight modes. It's on their web site.

"The only caveat I see is the warning Litchi gives about loosing signal and Phantom goes into hover not RTH.
[is it possible to then turn off Litchi or start DJI Go to initiate a RTH?]"
Think about your question, if control is lost what good would switching apps have. There's still not control contact.
And your statement about it only going into a hover is only in certain flight modes. It's on their web site.

Yeah... I'm not up on all the technical aspects just yet... only got involved in the UAS's in last 3 weeks... and am hooked.

So... the ap (aka mobile device) communicates with the RC then the RC passes that on to the Phantom... ok... makes sense - that's why there are boosters etc for signal attached to RC...

Thanks for pointing that out...

MB

OH... re the CSC thing... I bought (donation) a gizmo that slips over your control stick that prevents the right stick from going into the corner... thought this a prudent safeguard for a neophyte like me.

Reactions: MasterBlaster

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.