DJI Go app video feed distortion - and gimbal settings question

Reaction score
Two for one deal here. First: in the last couple days (since the last time I turned my Phantom on) I've done a number updates - Android update, DJI Go app update, Phantom 3 firmware update, and an RC firmware update. After doing the 1.7 update for the bird this evening, I've found that the DJI Go app now compresses/distorts the 16:9 live video feed into a 4:3 box (see screenshot). It didn't do this before all of the above updates. Also, it doesn't do this in Litchi, so I'm guessing the culprit is the latest Go app update. Is anyone else experiencing this?? I haven't shot any video, but I'm assuming (hoping) it still at least records in 16:9.

Screenshot_20160317-212219.png

Second, while poking around the Go app tonight, I came across all of these advanced gimbal settings. Can anyone on here interpret what they mean/do? Google hasn't been too helpful.

Screenshot_20160317-224509.png

There is one more update for DJI Go App, that will resolve 4:3 issue.

Are you sure your camera setting for video aspect ratio hasn't reverted to 4:3? I think the 1.7 aircraft update wiped all the user camera settings.
Just a thought.
There is a second app update for a bug specific to iOS, but I don't think there is a second Android update for DJI GO.

Two for one deal here. First: in the last couple days (since the last time I turned my Phantom on) I've done a number updates - Android update, DJI Go app update, Phantom 3 firmware update, and an RC firmware update. After doing the 1.7 update for the bird this evening, I've found that the DJI Go app now compresses/distorts the 16:9 live video feed into a 4:3 box (see screenshot). It didn't do this before all of the above updates. Also, it doesn't do this in Litchi, so I'm guessing the culprit is the latest Go app update. Is anyone else experiencing this?? I haven't shot any video, but I'm assuming (hoping) it still at least records in 16:9.

View attachment 47536

Second, while poking around the Go app tonight, I came across all of these advanced gimbal settings. Can anyone on here interpret what they mean/do? Google hasn't been too helpful.

View attachment 47537
Yeah that happened to me today and was driving me crazy!! I did everything I could think of and finally I said screw it and loaded up Litchi. The video wasn't distorted there so I went back to GoApp and the 16:9 feed was back. Tested several times and the smashed up view never came back.

All of those advanced settings have always been there.
1) the speed at which the camera tilts with wheel input
2)lets the camera tilt upward 15 degrees past horizon
3)camera pans left and right as bird pans to smooth out video. Kind of like headlights on newer cars
4) smooths out gimbal input. In other words there is a little run off of the gimbal after you release the wheel.

Weird jiggy, I switched back and forth a few times and it never fixed itself. Maybe I'll get lucky if/when I take her out this weekend to fly.

And Precision, I've never found a video aspect ratio setting. There is one for still photographs (either 4:3 or 16:9), but video has always shot in 16:9. I did record some video just now and it's definitely 16:9 when I play it back on my computer. Plus the image is definitely distorted (squished horizontally) in the app when in video mode.

Did you toggle to photo mode and back to video mode? I've had to do that to get the aspect ratio to "reset" out of the HDMI port. Yeah, I can definitely see that the aspect ratio is wrong now.

Thanks for the info on the gimbal settings, jiggy. I'm sure they were there, I just never noticed them before.

Did you toggle to photo mode and back to video mode? I've had to do that to get the aspect ratio to "reset" out of the HDMI port. Yeah, I can definitely see that the aspect ratio is wrong now.
Sure did, several times. I'm relatively certain it's an app issue. Maybe the latest version isn't playing nice with my phone or vice versa. If it hasn't cleared up next time I fly, I'll try reinstalling the Go app. The good thing is that it doesn't appear to affect the recorded videos, just the FPV.

Assuming the update doesn't clear it up...
If you set the the AR for photos to 16:9, does it display correctly? It sure does seem like a problem in the app.
I'll chime in again since I shared this issue with op. Only now that you mention it do I distinctly remember that the photo mode displayed them both as 16x9 on screen with the 4x3 being either stretched or cropped.
OP- you mentioned going back and forth between Litchi and Go several times as I did. Does Litchi display everything properly?

Weird jiggy, I switched back and forth a few times and it never fixed itself. Maybe I'll get lucky if/when I take her out this weekend to fly.

And Precision, I've never found a video aspect ratio setting. There is one for still photographs (either 4:3 or 16:9), but video has always shot in 16:9. I did record some video just now and it's definitely 16:9 when I play it back on my computer. Plus the image is definitely distorted (squished horizontally) in the app when in video mode.

Did you ever get anywhere? Now my 4x3 photo viewfinder is stretched to 16x9!! What the hell is going on. Confirmed again, Litchi has not either of these problems.

Did you ever get anywhere? Now my 4x3 photo viewfinder is stretched to 16x9!! What the hell is going on. Confirmed again, Litchi has not either of these problems.
Unfortunately no. I haven't flown yet, but have fired everything up a couple times to check. The Go app still compresses 16:9 into a 4:3 box. I tried changing the AR for still photos to 16:9 and it did the exact same thing. Really weird that you're getting the opposite effect. This has to be an app issue. I'm just surprised no on else reporting/complaining about it.

There was a recent Android update for the Go app that I was hoping would clear up this issue. No such luck unfortunately.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj