DJI Go app crashes and will not re-launch...... solution!

Reaction score
So I upped to the P3P last week and treated myself not only to a much better bird (not to mention, video!), but ponied up for a tablet I could dedicate to flying.

First flight out............ the DJI Go app crashed as soon as I stopped recording my very first video.

And...................

...............it simply would not launch again.
50_b.gif

I tried the old search-Google-for-the-solution, but didn't find much help. So I set out to solve the problem myself.

Problem was determined to be way the tablet recorded the cached video. It is always corrupt. One can watch it, but it blocky and jumpy, with lots of odd colors. And if the corrupt video remains on the device, the Go app will fail to launch.

As soon as I clean out one sub-directory, the app works as designed.

Videos are recorded in the DJI_RECORD directory. Delete everything there, and you'll be able to launch the app. To prevent the system from caching more videos and causing the problem again: Launch the app and connect to your bird (enter camera view). Click on the General Settings bars (3 short and 3 longs lines) in the top right. Click on the Other option (3 dots) in the lower left.

Under Video Cache, find Cache locally when recording. Slide that option off, or to the left, so the green disappears.

Bam! Problem solved. You can now record videos to your heart's content as much as you want.

It could be advantageous to have a recording on your tablet though - if the phantom doesn't make it home e.g.bird strike etc.
I prefer to clear the cache before each flight.- if I remember.
The 2GB auto-clear probably works too, but I wonder what happens if the limit is reached during a flight?

I had my ipad2 air. On airplane mode. 19 satellite. 300m away 120m high and all of a sudden no signal. Screen went blank told me the iPad was hooked up. Hook up my phantom.

Waited over an hour. And talked to DJI while it all happened. Not sure there verdict. But she never came home. And how for that long can it not attempt to come back from the point it started? A little hurt over this one. Software was all updated. A bit upset. Let you know what happens. But before all these updates never had this problem.

Reactions: Poundofnuts
Can you post your flight log to HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters and share with us, it should help.

It sounds like communication between the TX and the P3 was cut. A power loss on the P3 would do this as would a bird attack.
Was your P3 in sight?
300m is pretty far, did you see it come down?

You can also download or view the cached video in the iPad.

It could be advantageous to have a recording on your tablet though - if the phantom doesn't make it home e.g.bird strike etc.
I prefer to clear the cache before each flight.- if I remember.
The 2GB auto-clear probably works too, but I wonder what happens if the limit is reached during a flight?

What good is the craft if I can't even fly it because I stopped recording ONE video and the app refuses to start? Or having to waste time while in the air clearing the cache or deleting a video through the File Manager just to get the app to launch again........ only to have to do all that every time you stop recording video?

Can you post your flight log to HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters and share with us, it should help.

It sounds like communication between the TX and the P3 was cut. A power loss on the P3 would do this as would a bird attack.
Was your P3 in sight?

This occurs even when I'm all fired up sitting at my desk. Allow the app to cache a video, and it WILL crash when I stop recording. Delete everything in the DJI_RECORD subdirectory, set the app to not cache a video, and the app will start up.

Was your P3 in sight?

Ummm.......it's not a bird attack or power loss, it's called the latest version of DJI GO and the latest updates, they are buggy as hell.

Waited over an hour. And talked to DJI while it all happened. Not sure there verdict. But she never came home. And how for that long can it not attempt to come back from the point it started? A little hurt over this one. Software was all updated. A bit upset. Let you know what happens. But before all these updates never had this problem.
These are features of the latest updates. They break everything that was working fine. DJI really did a number on us with these latest updates and DJI GO 2.4

Ummm.......it's not a bird attack or power loss, it's called the latest version of DJI GO and the latest updates, they are buggy as hell.
Unfortunately, its NOT. If you have a problem with the App then its YOUR equipment. There are at very least tens of thousands running the same combination that you are running and having no issues. Somme other cheesy app could easily be interfering with GO. It sucks to have issues, but set the blame where it belongs.

Reactions: olof Ekbergh
Unfortunately, its NOT. If you have a problem with the App then its YOUR equipment. There are at very least tens of thousands running the same combination that you are running and having no issues. Somme other cheesy app could easily be interfering with GO. It sucks to have issues, but set the blame where it belongs.
I have absolutely no problems either with the latest GO and FW from DJI and Apples latest iOS 9.1. No video drop outs or loss of communication. I have an iPad mini 2 WiFi and when running the GO app I turn everything else off. I also dedicate this iPad to the P3P only, no extra apps at all exept B4youFly and AirNest, both beta test programs for flying MRs. I f I had problems I would uninstall those.

I think using a clean iPad is the best way. And I always run the iPad in airport mode when flying and turn my hotspot off on my iPhone.

Even if running other apps and having wifi on in the iPad is not causing problems then at least turning them off will make the iPad run cooler and conserve battery and take some load off the processor.

So in my mind the iPad or whatever tablet you use should be dedicated to the Go app and other apps to do with flying. Over the years I have seen many problems with 3rd party apps crashing different operating systems or causing temporary freezes. I use to work as an Apple tech.

Reactions: III% Streve
Sorry for your loss! I'm getting to a point where I don't trust DJI. I would not buy anything like a Inspire 1 ect... Til they get it right on the phantom.

Wrong genius. I didn't update my equipment, I updated the app and it broke my equipment, just like the majority of others having these issues. So to make it clear, the ONLY thing that changed was DJI GO to 2.4. Once it broke I updated IOS, the bird and the controller to get on all of the latest versions and nothing has fixed the problem. I've uninstalled, rolled back, rebooted, reinstalled, more times than you can imagine. And I'll correct you, there are tens of thousands working fine because they haven't updated to the latest versions and when the do they will experience the same issues everyone else is that's updated. The latest versions have only been out a few days, trust me, tens of thousands haven't updated yet! And yes, I'm running the latest version of IOS 9, with NO OTHER APPS installed, only DJI GO 2.4, so tell me again how the other apps I have installed can be conflicting?

Last edited:
I've been running just fine with the latest updates of everything on my iPad mini 2, even back when I was running the iOS 9 beta. No problems at all.

Im somewhat in the same boat as @olof Ekbergh . Dedicated Air 2, Tab 2, Tab 3 and Tab 4. Nothing is on any of these devices except app directly related to flying my P3P. I dont do the whole airplane mode, shut everything down bit though. Always tethered to my phone that is in my pocket, and bluetooth always in my ear. There is no possible way for signal interference except from the tethering, and its locked to a channel on the opposite side of the spectrum from what I am flying on. I've been BETA testing for Litchi and DJI since the first apps were released, and have never had any issues from anything. Android devices work flawlessly, and Apple.. other than being a POS, works as advertised. I dont fly it often, but occasionally fly from my Galaxy S6 as well, and it runs perfectly other than the tiny screen. I have taken and made a few calls while flying also just for the sake of knowing I can.

Wrong genius. I didn't update my equipment, I updated the app and it broke my equipment, just like the majority of others having these issues. So to make it clear, the ONLY thing that changed was DJI GO to 2.4. Once it broke I updated IOS, the bird and the controller to get on all of the latest versions and nothing has fixed the problem. I've uninstalled, rolled back, rebooted, reinstalled, more times than you can imagine. And I'll correct you, there are tens of thousands working fine because they haven't updated to the latest versions and when the do they will experience the same issues everyone else is that's updated. The latest versions have only been out a few days, trust me, tens of thousands haven't updated yet! And yes, I'm running the latest version of IOS 9, with NO OTHER APPS installed, only DJI GO 2.4, so tell me again how the other apps I have installed can be conflicting?
There really are a number of us running fine with the 2.4 and latest IOS.

I am saying only some users are having these problems, some are not.

Lets try to figure out why. Not trade personal insults.

I would do a complete reset of my iPad and then a clean reinstall of everything, not a restore from a backup. Do this in iTunes. Then install the latest GO and see if that helps. If it does not I would contact DJI. I bet they have a way of forcing a FW update that they can have you do. Or better yet use an iPhone or another iPad to test and see if the same thing happens.

DJI would never have released 2.4 if it did not work for them in testing.

I have used DJI products mostly the Pro versions of WKM and Zenmuse for 5 years now. Everything has always worked very well for me, but others on the boards have had problems. DJI would not be the leader in this field if they did not make very good products.

This is still a very new technology and it is changing fast we are living on the bleeding edge here. Lets help each other and DJI figure out what is causing the problems with GO 2.4 and iOS 9.1 for those that have problems.

Reactions: DMac
I guess I missed a post somewhere?!?! Is there a place that you somehow validated the trust anyone should have in you? And Ive missed the magic registry that shows that few have updated due to an app being released for only days. Doing the math based on iTunes app rank the update has been dloaded 23856 times across iPhones and iPads. Not as many as I expected, but still within the range I guessed it to be

There really are a number of us running fine with the 2.4 and latest IOS.

I am saying only some users are having these problems, some are not.

Lets try to figure out why. Not trade personal insults.

I would do a complete reset of my iPad and then a clean reinstall of everything, not a restore from a backup. Do this in iTunes. Then install the latest GO and see if that helps. If it does not I would contact DJI. I bet they have a way of forcing a FW update that they can have you do. Or better yet use an iPhone or another iPad to test and see if the same thing happens.

DJI would never have released 2.4 if it did not work for them in testing.

I have used DJI products mostly the Pro versions of WKM and Zenmuse for 5 years now. Everything has always worked very well for me, but others on the boards have had problems. DJI would not be the leader in this field if they did not make very good products.

This is still a very new technology and it is changing fast we are living on the bleeding edge here. Lets help each other and DJI figure out what is causing the problems with GO 2.4 and iOS 9.1 for those that have problems.
Sorry if I'm coming across brash, this issue really has me pissed off. Earlier in a post, you stated that you were not on IOS 9 and 2.4, so can you confirm whether or not you're running IOS 9 and 2.4, because that makes all of the difference in the world? And yes, I have tried everything you have suggested and more.

I guess I missed a post somewhere?!?! Is there a place that you somehow validated the trust anyone should have in you? And Ive missed the magic registry that shows that few have updated due to an app being released for only days. Doing the math based on iTunes app rank the update has been dloaded 23856 times across iPhones and iPads. Not as many as I expected, but still within the range I guessed it to be
I believe you that DJI GO has been downloaded 23,856 times, but how many times has the version 2.4 been downloaded? My point is that 2.4, the buggy version, hasn't been out long enough for tens of thousands of people to download and test it. Furthermore, 2.4 is the common link amongst all of us that are having the problems. If you take the time to read the twenty something reviews for 2.4, you will see that I am not the only one that this version is causing problems for. I think DJI has the best drones on the market, I love my phantom 3, however I do believe their software testers need to test better. I used to do this for s living and I can tell you now that 2.4 has bugs, as well as a high possibility of the latest RC firmware having bugs. There is something with the two not playing well together.

Currently, DJI is selling in over 30000 units a month. The 23000 number is based on todays rank. Rank changes constantly, and is derived from the number of apps in the store and, devices in the market, and number of dloads. That numbers is relatively accurate over the past few days

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20