Dji go 4 tablet question

Reaction score
Does anyone know what iPads can be used on the dji 4? It's has to have a certain chip, right? A list of options would be great!

Also, if I don't have internet at my house it will still work correct? I have really good gps signal. I use my iPhone 6s+ phone at the moment.
Thanks in advance

Does anyone know what iPads can be used on the dji 4? It's has to have a certain chip, right? A list of options would be great!

Also, if I don't have internet at my house it will still work correct? I have really good gps signal. I use my iPhone 6s+ phone at the moment.
Thanks in advance
U can get other devices that work aswell this just what recomended
1489958699812-337055422.jpg

I am using an older iPad, the full size one. I was going to get you the model number but I just cannot see that small! Anyway, it works great. I love the extra screen size. I just today built a home made sun shade out of foam board and packing tape. I already had a flimbsy one but this one is much better. I may post a link on how I built it but it was super easy. Back to the iPad, I don't know if some of them won't work or not. I saw a list from DJI of approved devices but did not read it since my iPad and iPhone 7 both work fine.
Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

555bf7e0b3413d99508d017677225226.jpg

I can just just the wifi version, right? I should need cellular.. Just making sure. The gps will work even though I don't put my SIM card in? (No cell)

I'm currently using my iPhone 6+s

I can just just the wifi version, right?
Yes. However, you won't be able to use Follow Me or reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you don't plan to use those features, then a Wi-Fi only Apple device would be okay to use.

The gps will work even though I don't put my SIM card in?
Yes, but only if you buy a cellular model. The GPS works even when the SIM card is missing and/or not activated.

Ok but if I buy the cellular model it will have to be put on my phone plan to work, right? I can't do that if that's the case because I can't change my plan..I'll lose my unlimited data I was grandfathered in with.

Or does the cellular iPad just use the towers and I don't have to have it on my plan?

I tried using an older ipad that did not have the lightning connection. It would not download DJI Go 4. It said it was not compatible.

You will need to use your hotspot on your phone so you can update the firmware on your remote and drone.

You will not have to add the ipad to your plan.

Ok but if I buy the cellular model it will have to be put on my phone plan to work, right?
You don't have to activate the cell card if you only want to use GPS on the mobile device. If you want to be able to connect to the Internet when out flying for doing things like download the maps in real-time, then you'll need to activate the cell card.

I can't do that if that's the case because I can't change my plan..I'll lose my unlimited data I was grandfathered in with
You could buy an Apple device from a different mobile provider and start a new plan.

I'm just wanting to still have the follow me option and other features and on a bigger screen (iPad). So without linking my iPad to my cell plan I can do that? Just buy the iPad compatible with the cellular plan?

Yes, you should buy the cellular iPad model (not the Wi-Fi only model) if you want to use Follow Me. The only downside is that it's going to be more expensive if you do not activate the cell card when you buy it.

You can buy the cellular model of any Apple product without activating the cellular service.

The only additional benefit is that you'll be able to use Follow Me and reset the home point to your current location after takeoff. You'll gain nothing else.

I tried a Asus ZenPad 8 on my new P4 downloaded the app from google. I am new to drones in fact still trying to get my ducks in a row before I take off and screw up.

I could not connect and it said no signal. We tried inside and out and in several locations and when I did the video jumped in and out. As I moved the cable it went in and out. Changed cord same problem so assume it might be a bad Asus socket.

I went out and bought an inexpensive Lenovo Tab 3 8. It seems much better. Have not tried outside yet but still have video that blinks even with controller and drone are 2 feet away. I am plugged in to tablet.

While this might not be on recommended list as Android tablet I was trying to narrow down issue.

I do not have a smart phone or Apple tablet but see used ones online under $150 for tablet even iphone. Is there and reason other than size to consider Apple tab over phone? Is going to Apple that big a deal or would I do almost as well with Android.

I read a lot about benefit of GPS over not but have a question. If I purchase a GPS Tracker to find a lost drone do I need GPS on tab or phone

I am very nervous about first few flights and heard there is a simulator you can use but I can not locate. Is there one for the P4. If so where can I find and does it work with P4 controller

Any advise? I live in Carlsbad CA north San Diego so anyone in the area that is willing to help give me hands on I really would be greatful

Walter

Thanks for answering all of my questions. I really appreciate it
Travis, if you don't have internet at your home you're going to have a hard time owning a phantom. You'll need to download new firmware occasionally, so you'd have to go to a friends house with WiFi to do that. Optionally you can have your iPad connected to the internet through your provider. With Verizon it's $10/mo to add an iPad to my account, using data from my 12GB plan. These devices don't use a lot of data to fly. It's very handy to be connected to the Internet while flying because you can see active maps on the iPad with your craft position overlayed. Without a cell connection you won't have those maps on your screen. This map can help you tremendously if you lose your craft, locating it potentially. If you know where you're going to fly you can download the maps to the device, but you said you don't have Wifi at home, right? Optionally you can link to your phone hotspot each time you fly, but that's a hassle IMO. In your case I'd recommend putting the iPad on your phone plan, assuming you have good coverage in the areas where you fly.

You'll need at least an A7 CPU in an Ipad (iPadMini2 or 3), but those can overheat in temps over 90F. This will make your video crap out until the iPad cools down. The A8 CPU (iPadMin4, iPadAir2) is less susceptible to overheating.

Yes that is correct, they are running the cables in my neighborhood now for high speed internet. I'll have it soon I assume. I can't add a tablet to my plan (AT&T) because any changes in my plan will cause me to lose my unlimited data that I was grandfathered in to. I can't do a hot spot or they make you change your plan. I use my phone a lot at work and the unlimited is great. I want to go fly it at the beach in a month but I might just use my phone so I have the map you're talking about. Or if I had an iPad I could have the map downloaded or connect to a friends hotspot. Yes, as of right now I'd go to a friends or family members to DL any new updates.

So the "follow me" works with the cell model iPad even if I'm not on the Internet, right? Like if I bought it I'd have no Internet at the moment.

So the "follow me" works with the cell model iPad even if I'm not on the Internet, right? Like if I bought it I'd have no Internet at the moment.
That's correct. The cell card doesn't even need to be activated.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20