Dji Go 2.7 android: locked in 4/3 !?

Reaction score
Is it just me ?

I just upgraded both my P3A to latest firmware 1.7.0060 and my android tablet (Samsung Tab S 8.4) to DJI Go 2.7.0
Besides the fact that the revamped menus are now smaller (they don't use the full size of the screen but a 4/3 zone on the right side of it) there is something much more annoying :
The Camera View main screen only displays 4/3 images, whatever the picture ratio you choose (for photos: 4/3 or 16/9).
And the video Camera View is also displayed in 4/3: you can't see the left and right parts of the frame! When in 16/9 the 4/3 "window" displays only the slightly magnified zone of the real 16/9 FOV of the camera.
WTF???

Weird... Haven't upgraded yet. Probably will. Just waiting to see I guess.

Is the app at least filling the screen?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes it does. But the camera view displays a narrower frame.
And besides of that the popup menus and dialogues are now smaller, in a 4/3 zone stuck to the right side of the main displays. The font is thus much smaller and some actions (eg expo tuning) can't be finger-made any more.

Last edited:
Aspect ratio of photo shots is correct, though. You get 4000x3000 and 4000x2250 jpegs. But you can't accurately frame from what is displayed on screen.
Same for videos.

Other folks say this bug is not present on their android smartphone (galaxy s2). On tablets, it is. On mine, at least (galaxy tab s 8.4).

Reactions: grottoli
I have never flown with Go.

But my point was that why crop in camera when you can crop in post with better control. Shoot using the full sensor at 4000x3000 and then choose how and when to crop in post. Once you have cropped in the camera the data is lost forever. If you shoot full sensor and crop in post, you can choose whether to crop or not and what part to take out far more accurately than aiming the P3.

I don't want to crop in camera, YOU are talking of cropping.
I just want to see on the screen what the camera actually sees to be able to frame before shooting.
Even if you use Litchi you see what you're about to film or shoot, right? In a frame of accurate WxH proportions, right? The screen is your view finder, so to say.
It's the way it use to be in Dji Go, too. But now we only have a 4/3 "viewfinder", get it?

I don't want to crop in camera, YOU are talking of cropping.
I just want to see on the screen what the camera actually sees to be able to frame before shooting.
Even if you use Litchi you see what you're about to film or shoot, right? In a frame of accurate WxH proportions, right? The screen is your view finder, so to say.
It's the way it use to be in Dji Go, too. But now we only have a 4/3 "viewfinder", get it?

If you want to see what the camera sees, then 4:3 is what you need.

Yes. You are cropping in camera whether you realize it or not if you set it to 16:9. If you set it for 16:9, you are telling the camera to only use a portion of the sensor. 4000x2250 instead of 4000x3000. You are cropping 750px off the height IN CAMERA.

By changing to 16:9, do you actually think it suddenly stretches the sensor wider? NO. Quite the opposite. It crops the top/bottom. The sensor is 4000x3000 and 4:3 ratio. Since it can't make the image wider than its sensor, it has to make it shorter. Thats cropping, like it or not. Thats what I was talking about. Shoot in 4:3 and get FULL SENSOR USE! Then crop to 16:9 in post if thats the format you want. Then YOU can choose where to chop off the 750px (top or bottom or any place in between).

Reactions: matti
Very handy tu use, not to see what you're aiming to get ☺
I agree with you: it won't change the sensor dimensions.
Now, go make a 16/9 video viewing just a 4/3 window of the center of the actual fiel of view...
It is a bug DJI acknowledges, and as I said here above: they'll issue à fix with in 2 days.

I'm getting this on my NVidia K1, but weird thing is it shows the camera view as full 16:9 on my Nexus 7 2013.

Yes. You are cropping in camera whether you realize it or not if you set it to 16:9. If you set it for 16:9, you are telling the camera to only use a portion of the sensor. 4000x2250 instead of 4000x3000. You are cropping 750px off the height IN CAMERA.

By changing to 16:9, do you actually think it suddenly stretches the sensor wider? NO. Quite the opposite. It crops the top/bottom. The sensor is 4000x3000 and 4:3 ratio. Since it can't make the image wider than its sensor, it has to make it shorter. Thats cropping, like it or not. Thats what I was talking about. Shoot in 4:3 and get FULL SENSOR USE! Then crop to 16:9 in post if thats the format you want. Then YOU can choose where to chop off the 750px (top or bottom or any place in between).

IMO, shoot full sensor and in RAW if you want ALL the information. I shoot that way with Nikon D3s and D800 and will do so with my P3P. You can remove/reduce/crop anything you don't need in post, but you can't add. That's how I work. It isn't for everyone. But I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

It's an old adage and a bit cheesy but I'm tired of taking a shot then wishing I had bothered a little more to get a better shot.

Happy flying

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems it's digressed already.

I was going through the menus as so many things were returned to default settings with the 2.7 update including RTH height and maximum flight height. When I try to change Max flight height I get the DJI disclaimer saying I'm breaking rules basically and when I choose to accept it nothings changes! No matter what value I input. If I change RTH it tells me I need to first choose a value for Max height. And the values of zero that each display are RED. I haven't experienced any height warnings while flying but I'm worried what happens on a RTH.

Is this solved already ? Just updated to 2.7.1 on Android and the FPV for video seems weird like is stretched. But when I go to picture mode I get more field of view and a true image without the weird aspect ratio from video. On video the view seems cropped, on 2.6 was ok.

No v2.7.1 has fixed nothing at all.
It's erratic: sometimes you fire the thing up and everything is 4/3, and the other time you're stuck in 16/9.
This v271 is terrible.

well bugger me, I never realised that makes sense though nice one

well bugger me, I never realised that makes sense though nice one
Glad someone got what I was talking about.

I understand everyone seems to want to be 16:9 because its currently en vogue. But, the hardware is not 16:9, its 4:3. Thats the shape of the sensor and no amount of will or desire will change that. If they had put a 16:9 sensor in the bird, it would be a different story. And I too understood the OP's point that there was a bug in the software rendering a false view of what was happening in wide mode. But my point was that shooting in that mode may not be the best choice or perhaps not the best use of what little sensor there is to work with.

By shooting in 4:3 and then sitting at a nice big screen after the shoot and being able to choose how much top and bottom to crop and taking your time deciding seems a better option than limiting yourself at the time of the shooting looking at a comparatively small screen with limited bandwidth making an irrevocable choice in real time.

There are many optinos to achieve the end goal. We all have to choose what works best for us but its good to make that choice with ample facts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers