DJI Global Facebook page on RAW for Vision

Reaction score
Here is the excerpt from today you can see the pictures on their page

http://www.facebook.com/DJIglobal

DJI Global shared Randy Jay Braun's photo.
5 hours ago
We've heard from a lot of you about how much you want Adobe DNG RAW processing with your Vision camera and how you're frustrated at it's delay. We want to let you know that it is almost here, and we are working with the best people to make sure it is as good as you all have been hoping.

Until it comes out, take a look at what Randy Jay Braun, one of our beta testers and the eye behind many of the images we use for our online ads, has to say about it, and take a look at one of the images he's been able to get.

The wait is almost over.
I am a fortunate soul. First, I realize I live in a stunningly beautiful location. Second, I am surrounded by friends and family who believe in what I do as a photographer. Third, I am part of a small group who has been beta-testing the DJI Global products.
I have to tell you that beta-testing is not all fun and games. Really, it is a commitment of time and requires some thought, as well as some confidence to voice your own opinion in the face of criticism. Still it is an honor.
Along with about 10 other folks (some of whom you see often on the DJI forums) I have been shooting the early versions of DJI Phantom 2 Vision's RAW file format photography files, and playing with the data to see how it works with me. RAW photo files are generally 3 times the size of a JPG file. In the 14 megapixel DJI Vision camera, a JPG file will come out of the camera at about 4.8 megapixels (as the remainder of the pixels are tossed out by the camera). In a DJI RAW file, each photo will be downloaded into your computer at about 13.95 megapixels - thus you will have much more data to process and play with! The geniuses at Adobe Software Systems have been working very closely with DJI to create the type of RAW file captured by the DJI Vision camera. The file type is called "dng" (digital negative).
Before I completely bore you with details, I must say, as a career professional photographer, that RAW files from this tiny camera give us the ability to process and produce images on a professional level. WOW! I have printed several 20x24 inch photos taken with my DJI Vision camera and I am both thumbs up.
To the best of my knowledge, DJI Global will finally release the RAW imaging software upgrade soon. Finally, right? The beta-testing process was a bit slow (we have been scolded), and the beta-team was quite picky about details. I have loved this testing process and cannot wait to see how other flyer/photographers use the RAW file option.
Personally I am a huge fan of Adobe software for my digital photo processing needs. I generally do my work with Adobe Lightroom. Lightroom5 is amazing and can be used by hobbiests and professionals alike.
I have attached a typical JPG and RAW photo below. The top image is a jpg file straight out of the camera. The bottom photo is a RAW (.dng) file and I processed it lightly using Adobe Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.
Really.... just a year ago could we have imagined photographing from small format cameras attached to mini quadcopters? My mind is spinning! — at Maui Arts and Cultural Center.

I looked at the pictures and I wasn't the least impressed. They brightened it "slightly" as they worded it.
No they did more. Colors and all.
Even so, it still looks like crap. What resolution?
Good to see some people on there letting them know how they feel though.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31