DJI Firmware 3.12 - Tested*** Is it worth it?

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Did you install the Firmware 3.12 yet? Some people are waiting and staying with 3.08
I did wait, and then last week I decided to update and explore some of the new features.
Our video below shows some of the stuff people haven't been talking too much about that
is included in this update. Some pretty cool new features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iVX8_Nkhx4

I'm on 3.12 for a few weeks now (P2 non Vision). No issues.

But it seems there's no way to go back. I tried going back to 1.08 (to adjust my G-2D gimbal limits in Naza) but it's not allowing to install older firmware. Even while in 1.08 the software now says: Firmware version 3.12, latest version.
There's no option to download or install the 1.08 firmware. Same goes for all previous versions.
Once on 3.12, it seems you're stuck.
I got all the older versions still local on my PC but no joy.
Anybody knows a way to get back? I just want to be able to adjust the Naza gimbal settings in 1.08 (that's all I use it for).

I might add that it could be wise to look at the control gains page after upgrading.

If you still have the old 9" props you would want the gains as they were, so don't change anything. However, if you have the 9450 thrust boosters, you might want to hit DEFAULT. You will notice the default gains are changed quite a bit. They work especially well with the 9450's. Haven't tried it with old 9''s yet but the difference should be noticeable.

I was certain someone on here was able to go back to 3.08. I think it was Dirk (might be wrong).

But thanks for the info regarding the gains.

I installed 3.12 but only had a few minutes with it. The flight wasnt that great but other causes were to blame and not the firmware.

lake_flyer said:
I might add that it could be wise to look at the control gains page after upgrading.

If you still have the old 9" props you would want the gains as they were, so don't change anything. However, if you have the 9450 thrust boosters, you might want to hit DEFAULT. You will notice the default gains are changed quite a bit. They work especially well with the 9450's. Haven't tried it with old 9''s yet but the difference should be noticeable.

lake_flyer, I would be interested to learn more about this. Are you saying that what they have programmed into the Assistant for defaults has now changed with the latest version ?

In what whay does it fly differently with these defaults ?

Thanks

Hi Hughie,

yes the default gains are different. You notice it as soon as you hit DEFAULT.
Make screen shot of your gains before you hit default, just to be sure.

With the 9450 props 3.12 flies absolutely fine. Possibly the best overal flying experience so far. A bit quicker response on the controls, but that's the nature of the thrust boosters. But flying smooth and steady. I have less lateral shaking in the video too, while flying forward, almost like I have a (cheap)3D instead of a cheap 2D. I haven't tried the old 9" props with these settings and I probably won't because i never trusted them in the first place. They do cause VRS, I tried them on my FC40 the other day and I managed to get it into VRS while descending with barely 4m/s. Fortunately I was testing this deliberately so I knew what happened and released the sticks immediately, proving in the process that this is THE way to get out of VRS. 10 feet lower the descend was 0m/s and all was good again.

I just hope there's a way to get back to 1.08 every once in a while.......

I have a video of this flight, including the DVR footage. I might post it some time.
I'll make a different topic for that in the FC40 forum.

lake_flyer said:
Hi Hughie,

yes the default gains are different. You notice it as soon as you hit DEFAULT.
Make screen shot of your gains before you hit default, just to be sure.

With the 9450 props 3.12 flies absolutely fine. Possibly the best overal flying experience so far. A bit quicker response on the controls, but that's the nature of the thrust boosters. But flying smooth and steady. I have less lateral shaking in the video too, while flying forward, almost like I have a (cheap)3D instead of a cheap 2D. I haven't tried the old 9" props with these settings and I probably won't because i never trusted them in the first place. They do cause VRS, I tried them on my FC40 the other day and I managed to get it into VRS while descending with barely 4m/s. Fortunately I was testing this deliberately so I knew what happened and released the sticks immediately, proving in the process that this is THE way to get out of VRS. 10 feet lower the descend was 0m/s and all was good again.

I just hope there's a way to get back to 1.08 every once in a while.......

Many thanks lake_flyer. Will have a look at this tonight.

Cyclone said:
I was certain someone on here was able to go back to 3.08. I think it was Dirk (might be wrong).

But thanks for the info regarding the gains.

I installed 3.12 but only had a few minutes with it. The flight wasnt that great but other causes were to blame and not the firmware.
I did as I still had 3.06 in my PC but went back to 3.12 and now when I try it won't let me go back. :?
Not really having any issue's I can tell though with the 3.12 .

lake_flyer said:
If you still have the old 9" props .... Haven't tried it with old 9''s yet
The old 9" props were 9.4 inch ... same diameter as the new props.
9443 vs 9450 - only the pitch was changed - not the diameter.
Here a shot of the original props in action.
There is no room for larger diameter props than came on the original P2 series.
i-BQ4TNgZ-L.jpg

Nice shot.

But I can't remember me saying anything about difference in diameter.

lake_flyer said:

DJI need to address this. They advise you to hit the default button after each firmware update.
The problem is that there is so much variation in the phantoms and 1 default setting does not suit all.
Vision Plus Non upgrade with old props
Vision Plus Non upgrade with new 9450 props
Vision Plus Upgrade with new 9450 props
Now this is assuming that your weight does not change (installing trackers etc).

I can't whinge too much... I have the old Phantom Vision Plus with a H33d and GoPro (non-droneexpert). I can tell you, the default settings in 3.08 is all wrong. I tried copying the P2 non-vision setting and still caused vibrations.

Slightly confused by this guys, how do I know which props I have? Do I need to default everything? :roll:

Have a look at the props you have. There should be a number on them telling you what they are. 2 of them will have an R next to it.

My stock props have 9443 on the leading edge. New ones have 9450.

Right i had a look guys, by hitting the default button did not change anything for me...I think the software knows which version you have...

Turbazz said:
I got 9450 what does this mean
9450s are the latest version of the OEM props.

Turbazz said:
Right i had a look guys, by hitting the default button did not change anything for me...I think the software knows which version you have...

If you have the V2, you also automatically have the 9450 props. I assume DJI already adjusted the gains in the factory in 3.06 for the new props, hence the default turn out to be the same after updating to 3.12. The defaults for older versions are all set default for the 9345's, the original P2 - V1 props.

Naza-M V2, as in the FC40 and P1, is default set for the P1/FC40 8" props. If you want the same flight behaviour with 9450's with Naza-M V2, you need to adjust the gains like the default settings in 3.12.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik