DJI FC40 - New user - fail safe help.

Reaction score
Hi guys..
I have just got a fc40. I took it out for the first time yesterday and I was getting use to the controls. Turns out need abit of space (almost smash a green house and next doors window) lucky I only broke a guard.
Anyway, I have tired a piece of string to it while I am learning so it can fly away.
I had the dji about 9 meters up (not high I know), and I though I would try failsafe. So I turned of the handset. (loss of tx). the dji started going up... I had to pull it back down via the string in a mass panic.

So I don't understand why it went up. When I started it, I did a full compass setup and made sure it had home. Home was about 6 meters from where I were, I would of expected it to be logical and just fly across and the drop down. Does it have to go to a certain height first on failsafe?

should I pack up now, and start an allotment instead....

Any help / advice please.

When RTF is initialised, its supposed to climb to a preset altitude. I think for the fc40, the default altitude is 60'.
If you had turned the RC back on, you could have regained control. Do your google and youtube searches.
Id fly out in a wide open area away from people and buildings to do test flights. Ive read online that DJI does not recommend testing failsafe on the FC40.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for that. Just scared of it flying away and it doing some damage to someone / thing.

Do you know why they say dont test failsafe? Abit unnerving not knowing it may not work.

Thanks for your prompt response. No doubt I will be back, and hopefully one day may be able to help someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Can't see why bunk says not to test RTH, from what I've seen its just as reliable as any phantom quad.

I would of thought better to test it, than just hope when I need it...

I may just email dji directly and see what they say.

Can't see why bunk says not to test RTH, from what I've seen its just as reliable as any phantom quad.

I saw a few videos on the FC40 where they said it wasnt recommended to test the RTH. Perhaps it was an issue on the earlier versions of the FC40 (firmware?). Or maybe its a little more involved to set RTH than on a Phantom.
By all means, test it, but do it in an open field!

Should I test the Failsafe (GPS) and other quesiton.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik