DJI can you build a better product?

Reaction score
I have bought my P3P on 12/29/15 and have flown it about 10-11 times so far. About 2 weeks ago I have noticed that the RC when held it has a cracking sound and it feels like is not closed completely, when squeezed on the right side the shell has a feeling gap. Also there is something rattling and moving inside. Knowing that the RC was never dropped or placed in places that could have something get inside, and fearing something could be loose inside the RC that could cause to loose the drone, I have decided to open the RC after viewing a lot of tutorials how to do it.
What I found inside had me disappointed again in DJI QC and their way of building the drone kit. So, in this light, can you DJI improve the way you build the plastic components? Things that could be done to eliminate future problems like this.
- insert a metal threaded post inbeded in the plastic and not use the self tapping wood screws like now or,
- after molding the shell, tap the plastic post where the screw goes in to avoid cracking the post, or
- use M3 screws that have less biting threads to avoid cracking the post.
Below are attached photos showing the manufacturing defects that DJI is selling to us. It would be nice if DJI would take ownership of the problem and replace the RC like any other respectable company would do but from past experience we can not expect that from DJI.

upload_2016-3-11_14-57-9.png

upload_2016-3-11_14-57-54.png

upload_2016-3-11_14-58-38.png

upload_2016-3-11_14-59-12.png

It would be nice if DJI would take ownership of the problem and replace the RC
Have you contacted DJI support about this? If so, are they refusing to fix it?

No, did not contact them, we all know is more fun to have a proctology exam than to deal with DJI Customer Service...Also fearing a loose electronic component that could cause a crash, I have opened the RC thus voiding the warranty. Was a catch 22, wait and see or try to fix it before is too late.

I wonder if opening the hood of your new car voids its warranty? Not quite the same thing but in the case of it rattling, hmmm?

Bits of plastic running freely without GPS guidance inside the RC will make a rattle noise...
After opening the RC and seeing them I realized that one of those plastic bits could have found a way into the joystick mechanism and jam the stick in a position (up, down, left, right, front, back) while flying and not be able to control the drone since the stick is jammed...there goes the bird, an accident can happen and another headline is making the rounds "Irresponsible drone operator crashes drone and hits kid..." and I had nothing to do with this, DJI built and sold a defective product.

When my RTH button collapsed into the RC I took it apart, took lots of pics, actually repaired it by tapping new threads and put small nut and bolt to reinforce the button. Then, JFTHOI, I called DJI and got a free replacement RC.

Attachments

• IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 450
No, did not contact them, we all know is more fun to have a proctology exam than to deal with DJI Customer Service...Also fearing a loose electronic component that could cause a crash, I have opened the RC thus voiding the warranty. Was a catch 22, wait and see or try to fix it before is too late.

If you close it back up to its original state, you shouldn't have a problem getting it warrantied. I had my return home button fall into the RC, so I took a look to see if I could do anything to fix it. When I opened it, I saw a lot of the post cracked along with the RTH button. I wasn't even going to attempt to try fixing all that, so I closed it back up and sent it in. No way they could tell it was opened by me.

Way beyond that point. Since all posts were cracked and the original screws were too short and loose, I had to put new longer screws to close it right...so no one will notice is out the window.
DJI has a very good idea and concept product, just crappy manufacturing.

For the price I have to agree the build quality is very poor. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes sooner rather than later

DJI service in the states is top notch.

I had the same issues. Super Glue got it all back together

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20