DJI AVL58 FPV System w/ spironet?

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been doing a lot of research on FPV systems for the my phantom and gopro. Originally I was going to go with the attitude SD's with Spironet antennae, but after talking to some guys I ran into down at the beach today from Aerial Mob ( www.Aerialmob.com ) who were doing FPV with their custom discovery pro filming a 10k run event, I realized that for what I wanted to do, goggles wouldn't be the right choice. So the most simple system i've found so far is the DJI AVL58 FPV System, and I would buy my own monitor. After reading some reviews and other forum threads, I found that some people do get close to the 1000m range that manufacturers claim, and others don't at all. I'll be flying mainly in an open place (over the pacific ocean) but I was wondering if changing out the stock antennae to circularly polarized Spironet antennae would increase the stock range of the Tx/Rx? Or if any body has found another Tx/Rx combo and monitor for the phantom that is still as simple, yet has a better range. I just want to get a great range out of the system for if I ever upgrade to a futuba. Thanks for you're help! :D

Antennas have to be tuned to the frequency that you are using. The 5.8 gHz system already has a circular polarized antenna.

miskatonic said:
Antennas have to be tuned to the frequency that you are using. The 5.8 gHz system already has a circular polarized antenna.
So is what you're saying that I can't switch out the two antennae, or it wouldn't make a difference?

Now that I look at it, just judging by the price difference, the DJI cloverleaves might actually be better than the spironet. whoops. Do you yourself know of any good FPV monitor systems for the phantom? Just curious

I have used both the stock dji antennas and the ibcrazy blueabeam ultra 5.8 antennas, the dji do a little better for me and have gone well beyond 2km with them. The bluebeams have got close to the same range in the same location but have had more noise where the dji have been pretty much noise free if maintaining los at those distances.

Seeing as many people rate the bluebeam antennas as the best around it shows the dji antennas are about as good as your going to get. You can get a longer receiver antenna but with the range I have been getting with mine I see no reason to upgrade these. Antenna placement may have quite a bit to do with the range for those getting poor results and if the phantom or camera gets in the los then range is cut quite a bit at the further distances.

I really wouldnt expect those antennas to be better then the dji or ibcrazy antennas but you can always test then out and see how they go for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20