Dji app shutdown in mid flight!

Reaction score
Was flying this evening over Biscayne Bay filming some jet skiers and some big beautiful yachts and all of a sudden the app crashed, drone just hovered in place, I reopened the app broug It back in with no problems but kind of scary because all I was thinking about was the drone being the newest artificial reef. Has anyone else had this happen to them, and what do you do to keep this from happening again!

It happens when I use my android. Sometimes more then once a flight. Many have the same problem. It has never happened to me using my I pad.

I had a lot of issues with 2014 edition Samsung 10.1 tablet. Drop outs, crashes, and I just went to T-Mobile and financed a ipad mini 4, with cellular like 20 a month. Have never looked back.

Fly over water - eventually lose craft over water.
My suggestion is to use IOS (if you are not already) to increase your odds. But a lot of people who spend most of their time over water - eventually have a water landing. It only makes sense.

Restarting the phone prior to flying probably helps also......all the mess in it's memory gets freed up. Make sure the phone has plenty of empty space on it.

Make sure ALL the proper return home and low battery parameters are properly set. For example, one of them tells it to land where it is when battery is low. You don't want that, of course!

My suggestion is to use IOS (if you are not already) to increase your odds. But a lot of people who spend most of their time over water - eventually have a water landing. It only makes sense.

Restarting the phone prior to flying probably helps also......all the mess in it's memory gets freed up. Make sure the phone has plenty of empty space on it.

Make sure ALL the proper return home and low battery parameters are properly set. For example, one of them tells it to land where it is when battery is low. You don't want that, of course!
Trust me I have every thing set up for rth and battery life, I don't let batt level get below 40% !

Was flying this evening over Biscayne Bay filming some jet skiers and some big beautiful yachts and all of a sudden the app crashed, drone just hovered in place, I reopened the app broug It back in with no problems but kind of scary because all I was thinking about was the drone being the newest artificial reef. Has anyone else had this happen to them, and what do you do to keep this from happening again!
When that happens remember the controls still work, you just have no video feed. You can fly back line of sight if you have it. RTH also works if you are in range. This is an Android problem. I had to switch to iPhone because of this exact same issue. Would happen to me constantly. Switched to apple, not one single problem ever. Look at your box, most likely it will NOT say made for Android. It says made for iPhone Ipad. They will never admit it, but it's not made for Android.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 331

Yes, but it's cool. Especially when you get footage of shipwrecks like this. The SS Selma. Been sitting there since 1920. I had the same issues with Android, but once I switched to iPhone I've done 30 or so flights over water and not once a peep about the app crash.

Paul

Control app crashes can happen on any device or operating system. They should be very infrequent and if not then there's a problem that needs to be solved, but regardless as noted above an app crash is not disabling since you still have full control of the aircraft via the controller, and can also initiate RTH if necessary. Sometimes the best thing to do is simply restart the app, the aircraft will hover happily until you get it back online. Probably most accidents related to app crashes are due to the operator panicking over any other reason.

When that happens remember the controls still work, you just have no video feed. You can fly back line of sight if you have it. RTH also works if you are in range. This is an Android problem. I had to switch to iPhone because of this exact same issue. Would happen to me constantly. Switched to apple, not one single problem ever. Look at your box, most likely it will NOT say made for Android. It says made for iPhone Ipad. They will never admit it, but it's not made for Android.

Paul
Probably due to a financial incentive via Apple.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj