Dji app restrictions near airports

Reaction score
Is there a way to override the dji app from not allowing you to take off near an airport? What I'm trying to do is get an aerial shot of a roof that would require gong no higher than 10 - 15 meters. I understand the reasoning for the app but just curious wether it can be disabled for low flying use

If you are near an airport go 4 will prompt you with "near airport msg" and then give you the option to continue flying with caveat that you are responsible for your actions. After you agree, away you go. But beware, you are responsible, you have absolved DJI of their responsibilities.

The trouble I have is that it won't even take off. It just comes up where it usually says ready to go, cannot take off

Have you tried unlocking the area you want to fly in using the DJI Unlock service? I have unlocked areas previously that were near to airports, albeit it wasn't an area that would prevent full flight. Give it a try DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access.

Another thing I've noticed is if you are near an airport, a gravel runway in my case, I cannot use the TapFly feature.

Reactions: Stephen027
If you are within 1.5 miles of a major airport the props will not start. This cannot be changed or altered. I _think_ you might be able to cover the GPS unit (or wrap the P4) in something like tin foil so that it does not know where it is. You'd be flying in atti mode though.

Of course, you'd also need to contact the tower and airport owner to let them know that you are flying.

If you are within 1.5 miles of a major airport the props will not start. This cannot be changed or altered. I _think_ you might be able to cover the GPS unit (or wrap the P4) in something like tin foil so that it does not know where it is. You'd be flying in atti mode though.

This is not true.

I have flown (as a test) in the parking lot of the airport (with operating tower) with the P4 and there were no warnings at all.

I do have GeoFence turned off and have made the appropriate entry into the NFZ request icon.

I do NOT fly there as a normal routine but did TEST it to make sure it works as advertised.

AD

Suspect different classes of airports. Int'l would probably result in NFZ, Regional, even those with towers might let you maneuver up to a certain height, Small country airports might be unrestrictive after you agree to the caveat.

This is not true.

I have flown (as a test) in the parking lot of the airport (with operating tower) with the P4 and there were no warnings at all.

I do have GeoFence turned off and have made the appropriate entry into the NFZ request icon.

I do NOT fly there as a normal routine but did TEST it to make sure it works as advertised.

Agreed. I stand corrected. In some red areas (such as airports) the OP can obtain authorization from DJI to fly.

I am authorized to fly closer than 1.5 miles from an airport. How will this work?
In Authorization Zones such as the one you mention, an operator simply needs a verified DJI account and uses the DJI GO application to unlock the area. Making sure that you are authorized is your responsibility.

Reactions: Stephen027
I have a dirt strip airport near my home and when I first used the app it warned me but I turned geofencing off and I've had no more issues. It didn't ask me to log in or anything. I didn't even have a DJI account at the time. That was 3 days ago.

Is there a way to override the dji app from not allowing you to take off near an airport? What I'm trying to do is get an aerial shot of a roof that would require gong no higher than 10 - 15 meters. I understand the reasoning for the app but just curious wether it can be disabled for low flying use

2 approaches I've taken:
1. Tried to take off within 10 yard of the 1.5 limit, DJI Go props won't start, DH app won't upload a flight path, same with Pix4D Capture.
2. Tested this out in the boonies so to speak, in Class D airspace but 300 yards outside 1.5 limit. got the near airport warning, but was able to fly fine with DJI and DH. Programmed a DH flight that crossed into 1.5 limit, and at 200 ft AGL, the drone stopped into hover 150 yards into the 1.5 limit. Know this because i took a photo while hovering and my GIS location showed that I was inside by 150 yard.
So, short of getting an FAA waiver, or using Airmap-see airmap.com, to do it legit, you might try charging the geofence at the desired altitude if your area of interest is within the 150 yards. Option 3 would be to fly at 399 ft and take a series of oblique images from outside the 1.5 limit and process them into a top down mosaic. This worked to great effect for the CIA when they could not cross into certain airspace back in the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20