DJI addresses gimbal motor separation problem with redesign

Reaction score
Looks like DJI finally smartened up and installed a steel plate at the rear motor joint. Now, instead of a steel shaft press fit into soft aluminum, it looks like steel pressed into steel, a much stronger bond and better design. I am basing this on a photo I saw of a brand new replacement camera/gimbal. I have not seen this up close or taken one apart yet to verify it is what I think it is. Anyone else seen this on a new camera or quad or have any info to add?

If this is what it appears to be, the separation problem should be solved for the most part, and the new design should help dramatically or eliminiate the out of level camera(after crash or hard landing) issue.

EDITED TO ADD: Confirmed this design change with DJI today. The metal disk is embedded into the aluminum arm/housing for a proper motor shaft pressed fit connection, eliminating the separation problem. The other two motors have always had a similar design, they use a stainless steel housing where the motor shaft is press fit into it. I have seen zero crashes where either of the other two motors separate at the shaft joint. Time will tell, but my guess is this will gradually eliminate the market for gimbal protectors/brackets.

Attachments

• redesigned gimbal.JPG
    redesigned gimbal.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 1,831
Re: DJI redesign on gimbal?

I may upgrade (or replace) if mine ever gets damaged

Looks like DJI is constantly tinkering with the Phantom and not waiting for the next version. Makes it hard to know when to pull the trigger and buy one because there is no pure models, just mix and match parts bins.

Hmmm, going to have to check mine when I get home as I believe mine looks the same as well. Bought Mid December.

Re: DJI addresses gimbal motor separation problem with rede

It's an official and permanent change. Confirmed this with DJI. Although there are still older style camera/gimbals on the market, all new P2V+ cameras/gimbals will be built using this new design. Time will tell how effective this will be, but based on the other motors never separating at the shaft due to an all steel connection, I think DJI got it right this time.

I'll be damned, didn't see that.
Yes i have a V3 and the camera that came with it has the new design.

Now what about those of us that broke one already and have repurchased new ones. They should offer a trade in or credit at least towards a new one.

Well thats nice.... I guess I will be seeing allot more bent pitch motor shafts. I think they need a break away design and it should have been used on the Inspire.

Jeremy James

Breakaway design would be fine if it would just snap back together and work again. Without that, they need to give the gimbal more protection from being impacted. A couple of bars across the landing gear would help in some cases. Perhaps slightly stiffer landing gear as well.

Stronger landing gear would be an improvement. Aftermarket camera guards help, but the landing gear collapse in a hard crash.

burlbark said:
Well thats nice.... I guess I will be seeing allot more bent pitch motor shafts. I think they need a break away design and it should have been used on the Inspire.

Jeremy James

For some people, nothing DJI does will ever be good enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20