DJI 5.8Ghz vTx Install? w/ Upgrade Board

Reaction score
My DJI 5.8Ghz Video Downlink just arrived, but without any installation instructions. I successfully installed the Upgrade Board and ZenMuse H32D Gimbal but am new to soldering and schematics. I am looking for specific instructions pertaining to the installation of the Downlink Tx onto the new Upgrade Board. Also, what is the status of using an OSD with this combo? I really appreciate your time.

SplashProof

So far no word on when it might be possible to use the iOSD Mini with the upgrade board. There are rumors of a "new" new board, or a Y-cable that would provide a CAN-BUS port, but so far that seems to all be speculation.

As far as wiring in the DJI AVL58, it's pretty simple. The TX has an 8-pin cable that terminates in two connectors: a Deans style battery connector and a 3.5mm 3-conductor plug. Depending on how "neat" you want to keep your installation, you can either cut those connectors off, or install mating connectors on the upgrade board, your choice.

Whichever method you choose, the battery conector can be soldered to any VCC+ and GND on the main board -- either on one of the ESCs or at the point where the main battery leads connect. Be absolutely sure you solder this *perfectly* as if you end up with a cold joint or a loose connection, you will be causing your entire quad to lose power during flight.

For the video connection, the tip of the 3.5mm plug is 12V+; you don't need that. The video signal is on the middle ring, and the GND is on the sleeve at the base. If you want, you can just solder a 3.5mm plug to the end of the thin cable that comes with the upgrade board. Solder yellow to the middle ring, brown to the sleeve/base, and don't connect the third wire (it's 12V+). Then just plug in. Alternatively you can cut off the 3.5mm plug and solder the wires directly with no jack.

I am not using the Zenmuse but I am using the IOSD MINI and a the DJI 5.8ghz video transmitter.

To get them to work you will need to take the video out and ground for the IOSD MINI and then run it into a 3.5mm stereo jack. It is a little funky but it works well.

Thank you for the responses. I forgot to also ask if the best placement for the vTx is inside the chasis or out? Keep in mind that I have more room now inside with the Upgrade Board swap.

Cheers!

I should be getting my miniosd and PMUv2 today well I just missed the postie so need to pick it up at 4pm. I have the AVL58 setup and getting another gimbal not the zenmuse but the one from XPro heli.

This site has a manual for the AVL58 and pin diagrams on this page too, its where I buy some of my gear from and worth checking out for aussies. http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/ ... o-link-kit

Here is the manual for the AVL58 http://www.multiwiicopter.com/product_i ... manual.pdf

AVL58_wiring__57534.1374055177.480.480.jpg

wiring_iOSD_AVL58__04761.1378446386.480.480.jpg

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/dji-iosd-mini

v2_PMU__32657.1380874417.480.480.jpg

Im assuming I can connect mine directly to the PMUv2 as I am not using the zenmuse or bluetooth so this should be all I need. I was tossing up between IOSDv2 and the mini, thinking using the larger OSD allows for cam switching so I can use an FPV fixed cam for manual mode flying and also switch to the gopro footage but thats just getting a bit too heavy for a phantom. Data logger on the larger OSD also seems intersting but not sure how it works and in the end you cant stick too much on a phantom and so the smaller lighter mini osd I think was the better choice.

I wonder if I will be able to learn to fly manual mode via the OSD pitch and using a gimbal :lol: maybe thats pushing the limits but should be easy enough to fly ATTI mode using the OSD and gimbal stabilized footage.

I have this portable Photgenic ION Battery/Inverter combo available to use:

http://tinyurl.com/ohk95zr

What cord do I need to connect my DJI AVL58 Downlink Receiver to 120v AC?

I think the above product will be great for charging batteries in the field too.

I have a 115V > 12VDC transformer that fits, but it is 1000 mA. From the spec sheet above. the Rx is rated for only 90 mA +/- 10mA @ 12V DC? That seems awfully low from my limited perspective. Would the Rx be damaged from using this cord adapter? Thanks again for your help everyone.

The receiver doesnt use much power at all best to just use a small 3s lipo. I use a 2200mah lipo to power the reciever and my 7inch 1000cdm/2 bright screen. I can use it for 7 phantom flights over a couple hours leaving it on and it only uses about 500mah from the battery powering both. Many times I dont even bother to recharge that battery for a few flight sessions using the 2200mah battery.

martcerv said:
The receiver doesnt use much power at all best to just use a small 3s lipo. I use a 2200mah lipo to power the reciever and my 7inch 1000cdm/2 bright screen. I can use it for 7 phantom flights over a couple hours leaving it on and it only uses about 500mah from the battery powering both. Many times I dont even bother to recharge that battery for a few flight sessions using the 2200mah battery.

I have a tiny 850mah S3 battery that run my screen and 5.8ghz receiver. I can FPV all day without a recharge.

I could easily use a smaller battery but have plenty of 2200's the 200g of weight doesnt really bother me as I have the radio on a neck strap. There is no chance I will ever run out with one of those and 9noy charge it after a few sessions with it.

martcerv said:
I could easily use a smaller battery but have plenty of 2200's the 200g of weight doesnt really bother me as I have the radio on a neck strap. There is no chance I will ever run out with one of those and 9noy charge it after a few sessions with it.

My point is that a small monitor and receiver do not use hardly any power.

Wow, the colors of the wiring for 8 pin cable that comes with the DJI AVL58 Video Downlink made no sense to me. With help from martcerv and others I finally had success hooking the downlink up to my Phantom with Upgrade Board and H3-2D. Here is how the color scheme broke down for mine (potentially different for others):

Battery Neg - (Yellow & Black together) -soldered to Gnd of nearby ESC
Battery Pos + (Green & White together) -soldered to VCC+ of nearby ESC
NOT USED (Red & Brown)
Video Ground (Purple) -attached to Brown wire from Upgrade Board video out cable
Video Signal (Grey) -attached to Yellow wire from Upgrade Board video out cable

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.