DJI 4 Go App settings

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I am new to Drones and am looking for suggestions on setting up the Go app. I want to set it for very safe beginner settings. I want to fly slow and safe, and focus on using the camera. The reviews were not very good, and would like to avoid the features that may be troublesome.
Thank you very much for you help.
Terry

Hi Terry, are you referring to Go or Go4. In my experience both are outstandingly good apps, Go has always worked perfectly with my P3P on Android devices, but Go4 has, although every bit as good as Go as far as software is concerned, is prone to 'crashing' (the app, not the drone) in mid flight with my Mavic, and possibly P4Ps too. When the app crashes, full control is retained of the drone, so it's not quite the catastrophe it seems, keep a cool head..
I think this problem does not happen with iPad/phones.
In any case use beginner settings until you are familiar with it, plenty of Youtube guidance, and read and understand the manual and DJI videos.

I have downloaded Go4. I read some comments where some guys are still using an older version, instead. Seem afraid to use Go4. I will set it as safe as I can and hope for the best. I did get an iPad Mini 4 just for this drone. Hope that helps.
Thank you Alex.
Terry

Hi Terry, are you referring to Go or Go4. In my experience both are outstandingly good apps, Go has always worked perfectly with my P3P on Android devices, but Go4 has, although every bit as good as Go as far as software is concerned, is prone to 'crashing' (the app, not the drone) in mid flight with my Mavic, and possibly P4Ps too. When the app crashes, full control is retained of the drone, so it's not quite the catastrophe it seems, keep a cool head..
I think this problem does not happen with iPad/phones.
In any case use beginner settings until you are familiar with it, plenty of Youtube guidance, and read and understand the manual and DJI videos.

Alex, I want to be as safe as possible and avoid problems. I don't think or react as fast as I used to, I would rather not use a version that may crash. What's the version that's not prone to crashing? I have downloaded the Go4, but have not set anything. Can I just download the older version and start all over? Will it work well with my P4?
Terry

Hi Terry, sorry, I'm not trying to be a scaremonger, if it's a P4 you'll need Go. What tablet or phone are you intending to use, Apple products seem to be more robust (from what I've read, not personal experience)? Go is pretty much bulletproof on either platform. It's all really as easy as the DJI guidance videos suggest, just approach it step-by-step. I'm not in the first flush of youth myself, and if I can 'get it', anyone can. It's really very easy, you'll find, these things do all the work for you. I still have anxious exhilaration when flying, after maybe 100 hours in the air...

Alex,
I will be using an iPad Mini 4 cellular. I bought it just for my drone. I just thought if there was an older but safer DJI Go app, that I would use it instead of the Go 4. If not, I will just get it set up and use it.
Terry

Seems you can use dji go app, or dji go 4 app. Dji go app is for Phantom 3 and 4. If I have that right, I'm using the old one, just to be safe.
Terry

Ha, reviews on both are terrible. Guess it's a toss up. If any of you have experience with both, I would appreciate your thoughts,
Regards,
Terry

Hi Terry, sorry, I'm not trying to be a scaremonger, if it's a P4 you'll need Go. What tablet or phone are you intending to use, Apple products seem to be more robust (from what I've read, not personal experience)? Go is pretty much bulletproof on either platform. It's all really as easy as the DJI guidance videos suggest, just approach it step-by-step. I'm not in the first flush of youth myself, and if I can 'get it', anyone can. It's really very easy, you'll find, these things do all the work for you. I still have anxious exhilaration when flying, after maybe 100 hours in the air...

Alex,
I do have a P4. Are you recommending the dji go app or the dji go 4 app? Sorry to keep bothering you about this, but I am in the middle of choosing the right app and getting my P4 set up to fly.
Thank you,
Terry

Yes, DJI Go, the DJI Go4 is for the 4Pro and Mavic. If it's the wrong app it won't load. This is from DJI Phantom 4 – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

If you have doubts, simply refer to the DJI website, it's got FAQs and lots of good info.. BTW, what phone or tablet do you have?

APP / LIVE VIEW
Mobile App DJI GO
EIRP 100mW
Power Spectral Density 6.9mW/MHz
Live View Working Frequency 2.4GHz ISM
Live View Quality 720P @ 30fps
Latency 220ms (depending on conditions and mobile device)
Required Operating Systems
  • iOS 8.0 or later
  • Android 4.1.2 or later
Recommended Devices
  • ios: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
  • Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD

Use the dji go4 app on your apple device. I kept the older version in case of any bugs, but no issues at all. I understand that in future the older app may not be upgraded to suit P4 and above so you may not have a choice anyway. I have read of issues with the app being used on various android devices, but that wont be a problem for you. Blow your hair back, read the manual, fly in an open area and learn slowly. Enjoy!

Yes, DJI Go, the DJI Go4 is for the 4Pro and Mavic. If it's the wrong app it won't load. This is from DJI Phantom 4 – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

If you have doubts, simply refer to the DJI website, it's got FAQs and lots of good info.. BTW, what phone or tablet do you have?

APP / LIVE VIEW
Mobile App DJI GO
EIRP 100mW
  • iOS 8.0 or later
  • Android 4.1.2 or later
Recommended Devices
  • ios: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
  • Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD
This is exactly what I needed. You have been a tremendous help. Since I didn't use the app, do I just delete it and download the Go App? My iPad was mounted and connected to my RC when I loaded dji go4 but I did not enter the app to make any settings. Does that matter? Can I just delete it and download the Go app?
Sincerely,
Terry

This is exactly what I needed. You have been a tremendous help. Since I didn't use the app, do I just delete it and download the Go App? My iPad was mounted and connected to my RC when I loaded dji go4 but I did not enter the app to make any settings. Does that matter? Can I just delete it and download the Go app?
Sincerely,
Terry
Not sure what is going on here,the dji go4 is suitable for the P4. I'm using it right now, the app displays the P4 as an option in the drop down menu on the front screen. The guru of drones on this site, msinger, has confirmed this a number of times. I have attached a rough as guts photo as proof.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 434

APP / LIVE VIEW
Mobile App DJI GO
EIRP 100mW
  • iOS 8.0 or later
  • Android 4.1.2 or later
Recommended Devices

I have an iPad Mini 4 wifi and cellular

I am also using a new flyer, I also using a mini4 and the P4. I use DJgo4 with no problems whatsoever .There are no real settings to either program for beginners, just read the manuals and stay away from the Settings that scare you. The only setting that really matters now for you is just keep it in the beginner mode. Also go over to YouTube and watch every video from "Tom's tech time". Great stuff.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
I am also using a new flyer, I also using a mini4 and the P4. I use DJgo4 with no problems whatsoever .There are no real settings to either program for beginners, just read the manuals and stay away from the Settings that scare you. The only setting that really matters now for you is just keep it in the beginner mode. Also go over to YouTube and watch every video from "Tom's tech time". Great stuff.

That sounds like really good and safe advice. If there aren't many settings, that's even better.
Thanks for braking it down for me.
Terry

That sounds like really good and safe advice. If there aren't many settings, that's even better.
Thanks for braking it down for me.
Terry
Oh there's a Ton of settings, you just have to realize you can set a lot of them on auto and others don't matter to a beginner. Tom on the Videos does a good job of explaining the app. Find his vid.

I can't say enough for taking short flights often, in an open field. You learn how it's going to move and what it's gonna do. It can be frightening, at first, especially if you get to reading many of the crashed drown threads here. Always read those threats to the end, because you finally realize many are operator error.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
Hi Terry, sorry, I'm not trying to be a scaremonger, if it's a P4 you'll need Go.

I have a P4 and I've only used Go 4. Never downloaded Go. It specifically states it's for the Phantom 4, Mavic, and Inspire 2. The DJI Go app says for Phantom 3 etc. I'm always confused as to why some people say to use the older Go app instead.

77bc545b252ef517fb1a6add53552b33.jpg

Last edited:
I was flying my P4 yesterday and I am still using DJI go & was in mid flight maybe in the air 10 minutes when the RC voice states "low battery" and my screen went blank and took me to my home screen. I just hovered until I could re-open the app. My batteries and RC were fully charged before flight. I brought the P4 home and there was plenty of battery life. Bottom line the app crashed. Do you think it is because I haven't upgraded to Go4. I'm using my Samsung S6 for screen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1