DJ1 FY-G3 Gimbal Issue

Reaction score
So, finally got my FY-G3 installed on my Phantom. Not a whole lot of info out there on how to do this. Thankfully, I found another pilot here in Jacksonville and he walked me through a few things on the phone (he's got the same setup). Problem is, we're both experiencing a similar problem--the Phantom won't reliably hold position now that the gimbal is installed.

Mine isn't holding altitude nor side to side position. The altitude may have been partially my fault as I just added all of that weight but I got it up then it started coming down slowly and was drifting. Before, it was solid as a rock on positioning. I even recealibrated the compass before I flew after I installed the gimbal.

Since there is no information I can find anywhere on how to power the gimbal, I just connected the power right off the cable for the battery. Not sure if this might be a problem?

Other than that, I really have no other ideas as to what the problem might be. Hoping someone else might have some ideas.

Anyone else experience this?

Crazy. I was just coming to investigate this exact same issue. Phantom 1.1.1 w/ FY-G3 gimbal.

After installing the gimbal, I have a lot of trouble maintaining altitude. Is it just because of the additional weight? Is there some calibration I need to do to compensate?

hwrd said:
Crazy. I was just coming to investigate this exact same issue. Phantom 1.1.1 w/ FY-G3 gimbal.

After installing the gimbal, I have a lot of trouble maintaining altitude. Is it just because of the additional weight? Is there some calibration I need to do to compensate?
I don't think it's the weight. Mine is drifting as well.

GadgetRick said:
hwrd said:

I don't think it's the weight. Mine is drifting as well.

I've had drifting as well, but it has always been with wind. When I fly it indoors, then I don't have the drifting issue.

If it's the weight, it could still influence the drifting as when it tries on compensate for wind, etc, it could not be using enough power given that it weighs more.

I did experiment last night with putting on P2 props for the first time and it helped some, but didn't completely eliminate the problem.

I have a P1 Phantom with FY-G3 gimbal. I had some TBE (toilet bowl effect) after installing the gimbal but altitude holds just fine. I lowered the compass farther down on the landing strut to get it away from the gimbal. I have also moved the gimbal farther forward to try and jeep my floats from showing up in the video.
For what it's worth, I am using P2 props and Maddog 2700 batteries. I powered the gimbal using the spare power wire that was hidden in the grommet by the landing strut. I have increased thr length of the battery compartment as well.

syotr said:
I have a P1 Phantom with FY-G3 gimbal. I had some TBE (toilet bowl effect) after installing the gimbal but altitude holds just fine. I lowered the compass farther down on the landing strut to get it away from the gimbal. I have also moved the gimbal farther forward to try and jeep my floats from showing up in the video.
For what it's worth, I am using P2 props and Maddog 2700 batteries. I powered the gimbal using the spare power wire that was hidden in the grommet by the landing strut. I have increased thr length of the battery compartment as well.
I'm suspecting it's the way I'm powering it--directly off the battery lead. I'll have to take a look at it and see where there is a power wire in the landing strut. That would be ideal.

Thanks.

I used the power accessory power wire when I fist installed the gimbal. I had drifting problems that way too. I just flew mine again to test with the fy g3 gimbal hooked up and with out it hooked up. Mine seem to fly ok but not as steady as before both ways. I was thinking about adding a 500mah battery to power just the gimbal and FPV. That would add about 50grams of weight. I let it just hover with the gimbal and FPV on it but not powered up and gat about 7min and 45sec just hovering in gusty winds. Then I flow it with everything powered on and got about 7min and 15sec. So if I add 50grams but have less draw on the flight battery I wonder which way I would get more flight time? On both flights the phantom held altitude and position OK but I don't think as good as before I added the gimbal. I don't think it's the weight. I was thinking because the motor is on the same side as the compass maybe that's affecting it???

So, on the phone with WW right now. We've been trying to figure out what the problem is.

Seems like it might be the compass placement relative to the motors with this gimbal. He's checking his readings in the NAZAM and is seeing huge variations by moving the gimbal around relative to the compass.

I want to find someone who's gotten this gimbal to work properly on this bird and how, exactly, they got it to work.

I have moved the gimbal as far forward as possible without blocking the battery door.
Gimbal%20Position.jpg

I have moved the compass to the lowest position on the leg.
Compass%20position.jpg

This gives me the greatest distance between the compass and the gimbal.

syotr said:
I have moved the gimbal as far forward as possible without blocking the battery door.
Gimbal%20Position.jpg

I have moved the compass to the lowest position on the leg.
Compass%20position.jpg

This gives me the greatest distance between the compass and the gimbal.
Have you flown with it like this? Did it help?

I tried emailing Feiyu but all of the emails were undeliverable. I also emailed the place I ordered it from.

[/quote]

[/quote]
It seems to have helped. I have only flown once since moving the gimbal and I had floats mounted which do affect the performance, but it was fine.

[/quote]
It seems to have helped. I have only flown once since moving the gimbal and I had floats mounted which do affect the performance, but it was fine.[/quote]
Hmm. Might have to try that then. I can't find anyone else talking about how they've got their gimbal set up on a Phantom. Very frustrating.

GadgetRick said:
It seems to have helped. I have only flown once since moving the gimbal and I had floats mounted which do affect the performance, but it was fine.[/quote]
Hmm. Might have to try that then. I can't find anyone else talking about how they've got their gimbal set up on a Phantom. Very frustrating.[/quote]
Moving the gimbal forward did change the balance a bit. I did notice some tendency towards tipping at takeoff. The original position had the gimbal weight well centered. I have my battery comprtment extended towards the rear which will offset some of this. Also I will be adding a video transmitter on the rear end.

Ok, I spoke with the folks I bought mine from--GotHeliRC--the guy was very helpful. He flies this exact configuration. He has it mounted as it looks in the instructions and has NOT moved the compass. He said he had to bump the gain down a little (about 10%) and he's pretty sure he bumped the altitude gain UP a little bit.

This all makes sense since we're adding a bunch of weight hanging low on the craft and it moves. So we've got a pendulum which is moving in all directions. So, as soon as I get a chance, I'm going to change my gain settings and see how it flies.

He also said he's sold hundreds of these and this is the first he's heard of this issue. So I'm hopeful changing the gain settings will work. I'm just a bit surprised/annoyed there is no mention of this anywhere.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4