DIY mount and a camera under P2, how to check if the drone is balanced?

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm going to make a DIY mount like in this video http://www.photographybay.com/2014/...diy-anti-vibration-drone-camera-mount-for-10/ ... and attach a tiny Canon (Ixus/Elph) camera under my new Phantom 2 with it.

How much does it matter if my camera is half an inch off the balance, towards to the front or to the rear of the drone? How could I check if the camera is perfectly in the middle and doesn't affect the drone to compensate for misplaced extra weight? Would hate to see the P2 flying away or doing anything else crazy because of it. With this mount it is really easy to move the camera around a bit.

Thanks.

I searched the forum and could not quite find an answer, that is why I'm making a new thread. Sorry if this question has been answered many times already.

Hello!

I'm going to make a DIY mount like in this video http://www.photographybay.com/2014/...diy-anti-vibration-drone-camera-mount-for-10/ ... and attach a tiny Canon (Ixus/Elph) camera under my new Phantom 2 with it.

How much does it matter if my camera is half an inch off the balance, towards to the front or to the rear of the drone? How could I check if the camera is perfectly in the middle and doesn't affect the drone to compensate for misplaced extra weight? Would hate to see the P2 flying away or doing anything else crazy because of it. With this mount it is really easy to move the camera around a bit.

Thanks.

I searched the forum and could not quite find an answer, that is why I'm making a new thread. Sorry if this question has been answered many times already.

To be honest - this seems like a barely useful mod. I can see jello-ing and tilting all over in their pics - but if you don't have the money to buy a gimbal - it's better than nothing I suppose. I just object to their assertion that they have created a 10.00 version on a zenmuse... the gimbal does way more than reduce vibration... it counters the movement of the Phantom to completely keep the video steady.

That said the zenmuse is actually not in the center of the Phantom it's towards the front.. I put other electronics behind it. The Phantom does a good job of balancing itself so if you're a little off you have little to worry about.

So as long as you're close you'll be fine.. in fact you can probably move it a bit closer to the front of the Phantom and avoid getting landing gear in shot at all.

Also I would be very careful with this set up... do it wrong and your 400.00 camera falls out of the sky :)

Buckaye, thank you. I will mount the camera roughly under the gimbal screw holes, should be OK then.

Appreciate your concern. I'm excited to see how this will work too, don't have too high expectations obviously. But I'm not into video, only photos. The camera cost less than 90, brand new. It runs on CHDK and shoots time lapse, and has an optical stabilizer so maybe I will have luck with shutter speeds 1/250; 1/400 at least. Attaching a photo camera straight under a body of a Phantom without any cushion, so to say, seems to give blurry photos even at 1/500 99% of the time so the "sponge hack" should be a bit better. Will keep you updated :)

The reason I chose to attach some other make camera to Phantom is I really dislike GoPro or Vision + FOV, too much fisheye.

I would not worry too much about the COG. Just make sure the quad is calibrated and knows which was is up :).

I have to say I am dubious about this solution whether taking stills or movies you will have problems getting a level shot. Sure you can take this out in post processing for stills. But it is not ideal.

I would also be inclined to fasten a tiewrap tighly around the camera and then loop another, loosely as a tether between the first and around a leg. You really dont want this dropping on someone.

Last edited:
Buckaye

The reason I chose to attach some other make camera to Phantom is I really dislike GoPro or Vision + FOV, too much fisheye.

The fisheye effect can be easily straight out with most video editor. And you can adjust your FOV on the GoPro to narrow to get the effect that you wanted.

I have my gimbal and gopro mounted 40mm forward, with the tracker on top and it does not affect stability at all.

By weighting the front slightly, the forward flight is actually improved slightly, but hovering time is reduced, due to the need for the quad to apply more power to the front motors.

I balanced my FC40 by putting it upside down on a scale (note down the all up weight) and slide the batteries (I use dual batteries on sliders) until it was perfectly balanced. This way it always takes off in a straight line, no tipping what so ever.

With the P2 it's more complicated because the battery is built in.
But the same thing applies. Put it upside down and find the balance by adding a bit of weight.
Stick the weight (whatever you use for that) to the phantom with a piece of velcro.
The added weight doesn't cost any flight time because the balance makes the flight more efficient, thus you win it back.

I put velcro on my gimbal (and previously my DIY camera mount), and a large piece under the front of both quads. I can position the gimbal that way so the COG is perfect. And it interchanges easily between my P2 and FC40. Another thing is, I can move my gimbal forward so I don't see props anymore. I attach everything with velcro. It makes it so easy to adapt things on the fly (pun intended).

Another great thing is that with a crash your equipment is less likely to get damaged because it can come off without breaking off, when it hits something.

Hmmm, maybe I should change my name to Velcro Addict or something like that.

I balanced my FC40 by putting it upside down on a scale (note down the all up weight) and slide the batteries (I use dual batteries on sliders) until it was perfectly balanced. This way it always takes off in a straight line, no tipping what so ever.

With the P2 it's more complicated because the battery is built in.
But the same thing applies. Put it upside down and find the balance by adding a bit of weight.
Stick the weight (whatever you use for that) to the phantom with a piece of velcro.
The added weight doesn't cost any flight time because the balance makes the flight more efficient, thus you win it back.

I put velcro on my gimbal (and previously my DIY camera mount), and a large piece under the front of both quads. I can position the gimbal that way so the COG is perfect. And it interchanges easily between my P2 and FC40. Another thing is, I can move my gimbal forward so I don't see props anymore. I attach everything with velcro. It makes it so easy to adapt things on the fly (pun intended).

Another great thing is that with a crash your equipment is less likely to get damaged because it can come off without breaking off, when it hits something.

Hmmm, maybe I should change my name to Velcro Addict or something like that.

I use that 3M Duel Lock velcro, and it is great stuff.

Hello!

Thanks.

Now if he changes the DIY design by 10% he can apply for a US patent and become rich. :cool: :rolleyes: But of course I jest. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20