Ditching P3P Getting Inspire 1 w Zenmuse X5

Reaction score
Well DJI has gone and done it, they have finally created the perfect quad with everything I wanted, the only bad thing is they revealed it less than 6 months after I bought into the P3P ecosystem (case, batteries, tablet, etc). Oh and if only the P3P batteries worked in the Inspire 1.

Now that the Inspire 1 has the Zenmuse X5 its a no brainer; the P3P's camera will never come close to what the X5 can do. I don't believe in buying the latest thing just because it is the latest thing, but no more barrel distortion, better dynamic range, adjustable F stops; all in an aerial platform with a 4 mile range is every photographer's dream come true.

I have somewhat regretted my P3P purchase since the day I first compared its post processed footage with the GP4's raw footage but I dealt with it because the other features were light years ahead of the FPV and camera controls of the P2 with GP4. I know this debate has been going on forever but the reality is, the GP4 with a custom rectilinear lens blows away the P3P's camera. Now, I no longer need to compromise.

The only thing I do have concerns about is how long the Inspire 1's battery lasts with the heavier camera onboard. Since the I1 is faster than the P3 I don't think that will be a problem.

Is anyone else making the switch?

Reactions: unclejas
I must say, I'm mildly envious. The X5 & X5R's specs are amazing. Your concerns are real, but I'm sure DJI has thought of all that and the Inspire 1 will not suffer any major setbacks. The weight increase must be minimal and its performance is another minimal drain of the battery. 20+ minute flight times are still on the radar.

My concern would be paying my monthly mortgage payment after plunking down the $ for an Inspire 1 with an X5. :)

Speed of the Inspire (and the Phantom) isn't a critical category. They're both flying tripods so flying low and slow is always key when filming. Slow gimbal movements, panning, and acceleration makes for a great shoot.

I fly a lot of aerial footage for construction sites, some are over 200,000 sq/ft and spend time on the ends of runs perfectly aligning with the next row in the grid so I would have to fly faster down each run to make up for a decrease in battery life. I don't think it will be a major problem, it's just the only possible downside that I can see.

The X5 on an Inspire will really be great for quality aerial photography - but at a price.
A new Inspire pro costs 4.6 x the price of the P3 Advanced.
That's a lot more to put at risk every time you send it out.
i-6WHQdfv-L.jpg

I'll have to appreciate the good things about the P3 (like portability, price and battery life) for a bit longer and wait for DJI to upgrade camera technology in their smaller range.

Reactions: jcknows0
Yip I'm also looking at the Inspire 1 with the X5R when it's released. In the meantime I'm looking at other pro systems. Aeronavics in New Zealand are giving me a demo in a few days. They are top of the line so it'll be interesting to compare with the X5R when it comes out.

It's made me stop and think about moving to the Inspire - I've been disappointed with the P3P from a camera point of view (though perhaps I shouldn't have been) as I'm used to photography with my Canon 5D MkIII (yes - you can't compare them in quality but it's what I am used to).

I've been thinking about the move to a S900 or S1000 (or perhaps something not DJI) so I can lung either a Sony or my Canon up but you start to get into some serious $. The Inspire with the X5R may just be what I am looking for at a reduced price - will need to wait and see some real world comparative reviews.

My main complaint about the X5R is given how amazing the camera probably will be, they should throw in a detachable gimbal/handheld set like Yuneec so you have a complete camera system. Given this current limiting factor, you'd be better off going with a DSLR/Zenmuse on a S1000 as you can at least use the camera for other purposes but to each their own. Hope DJI will heed advice on this...

The P3P was never really a true "Professional" video platform. It is a very good hobby video platform. The Inspire 1 ZX5 would be the way to go if it makes sense financially....or you've got $$$ to burn.

Also, keep in mind that new FAA regs may not allow operation of drones beyond line of sight (if you're operating in the US of course)

Before you get too excited about the X5, have you looked at the max bitrate of 60Mbps? That's no different to the P3P or X3. While the imager and the glass are finally up to professional standards, they didn't do the same for the processor.

In fact, I suspect they may have used the same SOC as the current P3P and H4B. Early X5 video exhibits some of the same odd gamma and compression that the P3P and X3 cameras have.

Had it been 100Mbps, I would likely have bitten but I think I am sticking to what I've got and seeking a method to get an RX100-IV airborne.

And the X5R will have 2.4Gbps max bitrate which has me thinking hard about this option.

Before you get too excited about the X5, have you looked at the max bitrate of 60Mbps? That's no different to the P3P or X3. While the imager and the glass are finally up to professional standards, they didn't do the same for the processor.

In fact, I suspect they may have used the same SOC as the current P3P and H4B. Early X5 video exhibits some of the same odd gamma and compression that the P3P and X3 cameras have.

Had it been 100Mbps, I would likely have bitten but I think I am sticking to what I've got and seeking a method to get an RX100-IV airborne.

Yes that did make me pause, along with the fact that they are probably going to use the same compression algorithm they have been using which is pretty horrible in my opinion. With that said, the higher dynamic range in my opinion will make up for the bitrate shortcomings. Also I typically shoot at 1080P which seems to top out around 25bps coming out of the P3P, so I don't think the bitrate limit will be a problem.

I really want to hold off until the Inspire 2 because I am almost certain they will improve the battery life, upgrade the SOC, and possibly the range, especially considering they just released the Lightbridge 2, but I have customers scheduled out as far as Dec and they all want this level of footage now, vs 6 months from now.

This demo reel is pretty impressive, although its impossible to tell how many of the problems with the footage is YouTube, bitrate limits, and DJI's own MP4 algorithm shortcomings:

Besides video, the camera has some great specs and I have high hopes that RAW will no longer be RAW in name only like the P3P. I would really like to hold off until I see more demo reels, but I have a major customer who has delayed their project until I get my hands on the Zenmuse X5. I would go for the X5R but I don't think the customers in my area will be willing to pay for the difference in quality.

I have attached a picture that was created using 3 different shots combined into a pano then ran through HDR software. It really showcases the dynamic range this camera is capable of. I also found some RAW picture footage that was taken with the X5 and ran it through my workflow; they dynamic range is night and day compared to the X3.

Attachments

• untitled-101-Pano_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 465
You might want to have a look at the new Yuneec Typhoon that's supposed to be priced similarly. That's the direction I'm leaning towards at this point.

The X5 on an Inspire will really be great for quality aerial photography - but at a price.
A new Inspire pro costs 4.6 x the price of the P3 Advanced.
That's a lot more to put at risk every time you send it out.

I'll have to appreciate the good things about the P3 (like portability, price and battery life) for a bit longer and wait for DJI to upgrade camera technology in their smaller range.
I do plan on keeping the P3P for the less important jobs like real estate photography if the house is worth less than $1M, and maybe construction sites, but for customers that are shooting commercials, or demo footage or anything that demands the best, I'll have the I1 ready to go.

Also if I do any traveling that involves a plane, I'll probably take the P3P since it's more portable. So fortunately buying the P3P was not a complete waste. Of course once I start shooting with the X5 I'll probably never take the P3P out again.

As far as battery life goes, it looks like if you get the TB48 the battery life is about the same as the P3P, so I'll get 4-6 of those.

You might want to have a look at the new Yuneec Typhoon that's supposed to be priced similarly. That's the direction I'm leaning towards at this point.
I'm truly not in any way flaming you but unless you can point me to an unreleased Yuneec model (the Q5004K was the highest model I could find), I'm going to have to believe you are joking. The P3P that I already have is better than anything Yuneec has ever produced (HD video downlink, nice app, your choice of tablet for large screen display, documented over 4 mile range on stock transmitter, etc etc).

I'm stepping up from the P3P to the world's first aerial mirrorless 4/3rds camera as DJI likes to point out; unless Yuneec merges with DJI (highly unlikely) I don't see them ever catching up. Personally I consider Yuneec to be DJI's cheap knock off sibling, but that's just me. As a matter of a fact, I think a lot of emerging drone makers just went back to the drawing board (GoPro anyone?) after seeing the Zenmuse X5.

I am by no means a DJI fanboy, and truly wish there was something better out there at this price point, but I'm also realistic; let's face it, DJI for all of their flaws is the best money can buy right now for less than $20K, and their products have paid for themselves many times over for me personally.

Last edited:
No problem, the news is only a couple days old.

No problem, the news is only a couple days old.

Ok, that makes more sense. I still like the DJI solution better, the I1 is smaller, HD downlink (not sure if Yuneec does HD or SD) and you get your choice of display size. I would be curious to see what the flight times are like for the Yuneec with 3 batteries, not to mention survival of a motor loss, and the redundant batteries are nice features.

For me the I1 is still the winner but I get the feeling the I2 will probably go with over under motor redundancy as an optional upgrade, additional batteries, and around the same sized form factor while keeping the Zenmuse X5 as the premium camera option for the I2 Pro.

I've heard 42 minutes somewhere. The carbon body is very nice.
If I'm going to invest that much money into a professional uav, I am not willing to buy under 30min flight time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr