Distance

CWK

Reaction score
I learned a couple of lessons today...
I made a couple adjustments after yesterday's distance flight of around 12,000ft.
d8178b629bf5f533290330820a039cad.jpg

So I pushed it today. It was a success... but almost a tragedy.. I was excited to see how far I could go so I didn't think of all the elements that come into play. I flew her out to almost 22,000 ft with 60% of battery left.
045706a9cb6150a2c48d9c77dbbd29c1.jpg

On the way back, I very quickly realized there was a cross wind, slightly in the birds face. The mph was down and she was side tracking enough to notice. I decided to land about a 1/2 mile from my house in a field with 9% left. It was a little sketchy! Question for everyone, to what percentage will p3a fly to before she drops out of the sky? Also, how far have you flown and what were you flying?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I havent flown those kinda distances but when i send it away from myself (a mile) i try to send it into a headwind (10mph or less) because i know itll come back faster with that tail wind.

Phantom 2 / H3-3D / GoPro / 600mw Immersion VTX / Fat Shark Attitude Goggles.

Reactions: CWK
I have taken battery down to 3% had to keep throttle up at max to stop it landing by then.

Question for everyone, to what percentage will p3a fly to before she drops out of the sky?
She'll keep flying until the first battery cell reaches 3.0V. See more details here.

Reactions: Digdat0 and CWK
Always take bird up to flying altitude and drop in atti mode. Check winds at altitude to determine where they they blow. Remember, winds change as altitude changes.

Always take bird up to flying altitude and drop in atti mode. Check winds at altitude to determine where they they blow. Remember, winds change as altitude changes.
I do the same thing. I get the bird up high enough to clear obstacles then flip it into attitude mode. Watch to see how fast it moves which is a clear indication of wind direction and speed.

To the original poster learned a lesson without having a really bad ending... these are the best lessons.

I have phantom 3 standard and have latest FW and have the ARG Tek wifi range extender kit on my drone and I have done a lot of research on whether or not it actually does give you more range and distant a lot of forums say it does work. I have gone through every scenario possible with making sure I installed it right making sure the clips were fastened tightly hot gluing them on afterwords trying different combinations of the antennas that come with it the 5DBW's, the seven, 10, and still have no extra range what so ever I seen some stuff that says something about downgrading FW BUT everytime i try to i can't select anything to downgrade
4a3b131ffb8d30c80277481fde2bbdf1.jpg
.... I get stuck on this screen.^ does any one know how to fix this issue or buy something that will actually extend my range significantly? As of now I can go about 1400d and 1650h is the highest I've flown her. Thanks guys

Attachments

• IMG_0057.PNG
    IMG_0057.PNG
    69.1 KB · Views: 281
I learned a couple of lessons today...
I made a couple adjustments after yesterday's distance flight of around 12,000ft.
So I pushed it today. It was a success... but almost a tragedy.. I was excited to see how far I could go so I didn't think of all the elements that come into play. I flew her out to almost 22,000 ft with 60% of battery left.
On the way back, I very quickly realized there was a cross wind, slightly in the birds face. The mph was down and she was side tracking enough to notice. I decided to land about a 1/2 mile from my house in a field with 9% left. It was a little sketchy! Question for everyone, to what percentage will p3a fly to before she drops out of the sky? Also, how far have you flown and what were you flying?

You should checkout the
She'll keep flying until the first battery cell reaches 3.0V. See more details here.
thats a really good guide, hadnt seen it! :)

to OP - if you hit 0% and your volts stay above 13v (which is unlikely), you can stay in the air. With stock battery my experience is this is maybe 5-10 seconds. With external batteries added Ive flown 1-4 minutes on 0% with the remaining juice/voltage in the batteries. When it finally landed (crashed in a few occasions), volts were down way below 12.5 which is not good. Thats how ya kill batteries, and your aircraft.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20