Distance ?

Reaction score
I seem to be having issues going above 300' without losing connection. I am in wide open area. Controller sect correctly with 2 beeps at turn on. I have tried adjusting antenna and wireless repeater but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else experienced issues trying to get some distance with their pv2?

Love the ov2 but would like to experience some high flying possibilities like others seem to be getting.

Thanks
Doug

Are you flying straight over your head? If so, don't. Fly out some then go up. How are your antennas pointed? The main antenna should be pointed at the sky and the wifi extender at the Phantom.

14vision said:
I seem to be having issues going above 300' without losing connection. I am in wide open area. Controller sect correctly with 2 beeps at turn on. I have tried adjusting antenna and wireless repeater but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else experienced issues trying to get some distance with their pv2?

Love the ov2 but would like to experience some high flying possibilities like others seem to be getting.

Thanks
Doug

People's distance records with the stock unmodified setup seem to vary somewhat. Likely do to a number of factors including how much charge are in your batteries at the time. Interference from other radio sources and so on. On average people are getting from 800 to 1000 feet away while maintaining both Wifi and Control Signal. I myself have had my vision around 1050 feet away at close to 400 feet up before loosing wifi connection though telemetry remained. People have had more success going further away than straight up, you will especially run into problems if you fly directly over your head do to the antenna placement and alignment on the Phantom 2 Vision itself, as well as your controller. For best high altitude results bring your Phantom at least 100 feet away from you, with the flat portion of the Wifi extender pointed straight at the Phantom and your controller Antenna pointing at the sky. Reducing the "preview" quality to the lowest setting will also further extend your Wifi FPV range. I've mainly been using 640x480 15fps or 320 30fps. If you really want nice extended range you should look into the thread regarding changing the transmit antenna for the wifi extender as well as the controllers antenna.

Thanks for all the great points.

1. All firmware recently updated
2. I tried going out maybe 50' and then straight up. I get about 350 and lose connection, but I also have antenna pointing up at sky as well as flat portion of wireless extender pointing up.
3. I need to check display quality which I believe I use default but will verify.

Have you changed out antennas like the thread you mentioned? I would be willing to consider that if it hadn't to difficult and brings good results.

I do believe I should be able to get at least 800+ straight up like some of the crazy videos people are posting.

Thanks

14vision said:
Thanks for all the great points.

1. All firmware recently updated
2. I tried going out maybe 50' and then straight up. I get about 350 and lose connection, but I also have antenna pointing up at sky as well as flat portion of wireless extender pointing up.
3. I need to check display quality which I believe I use default but will verify.

Have you changed out antennas like the thread you mentioned? I would be willing to consider that if it hadn't to difficult and brings good results.

I do believe I should be able to get at least 800+ straight up like some of the crazy videos people are posting.

Thanks

Try flying in an open field and see if you don't get better results. If not then you may have a problem unit. It happens. I have not yet done the antenna mods on mine but I do plan to. Those that have tried the antenna change outs have had tangible and excellent results thus far. For the Wifi Repeater i'm going to first try the TPLink 9db antenna as it's a more practical sized antenna to have mounted to my controller than the 14db version. And I've heard people getting over 1,500 to 2,000 feet with that which I think it pretty good. And I can always use the higher gain antenna if I want more range for a given flight, Maybe mount it on a tripod.

In my experience, it's all about interference.

Out in the country (miles and miles of nothing but flat farm land, not even electricity). I've flown over 3400ft (yes, three thousand four hundred) away (all stock). But fly behind anything (building or even a tree with no leaves on it) and I almost instantly lose connection (at almost any distance.)

At home (in suburb subdivision where every house has wifi, cordless phones, microwaves, ...) I've flown as far as 1000 ft, but most of the time I lose connection by 500 feet.

At a park in my neighborhood (less than 2000 feet from my house) I have gone as far as 1250 feet, but mostly I lose connection as soon as I fly near houses (usually 500 to 700 feet).

All of this with the exact same stock setup.

Go out to the country, where there's nothing but flat open land and fly away sideways (keeping the left side or the right side of the P2V pointing at you) and you will be shocked how far you can fly (well out of visual or audible range.) It is frightening because as soon as you turn the P2V (so that the side is not pointing at you) you will lose video feed and telemetry. I tried to fly back, but after a few minutes I decided to not panic and turned off the controller and it returned home (too cool, but not something to depend on, I did it because I was in the middle of nothing but farm land and it was not possible to hurt anything other than the P2V itself.)

Happy flying.

14vision said:
...I also have antenna pointing up at sky as well as flat portion of wireless extender pointing up.

...stick antenna pointing up at sky, correct
...flat side of Range Extender (patch antenna) should be pointed towards the Vision

As the Vision gets closer & overhead, tilt the whole controller up a little: stick antenna now points to your forehead & flat side of extender pointing at Vision.

iDrone

I think I was able to get a little bit better range by taking the remote control out of CE compliance and changing it to FCC compliance. Have you tried that yet?

MovingZen said:
I think I was able to get a little bit better range by taking the remote control out of CE compliance and changing it to FCC compliance. Have you tried that yet?

Yes I turn bottom screw and get two beeps when I turn controller on but i am not sure if screw should be all the way tightened all the way orbit doesn't matter as long as I hear two beeps?

I think gently all the way CW for the higher power FCC mode would be proper.

themosttoys said:
In my experience, it's all about interference.

Out in the country (miles and miles of nothing but flat farm land, not even electricity). I've flown over 3400ft (yes, three thousand four hundred) away (all stock). But fly behind anything (building or even a tree with no leaves on it) and I almost instantly lose connection (at almost any distance.)

At home (in suburb subdivision where every house has wifi, cordless phones, microwaves, ...) I've flown as far as 1000 ft, but most of the time I lose connection by 500 feet.

At a park in my neighborhood (less than 2000 feet from my house) I have gone as far as 1250 feet, but mostly I lose connection as soon as I fly near houses (usually 500 to 700 feet).

All of this with the exact same stock setup.

Go out to the country, where there's nothing but flat open land and fly away sideways (keeping the left side or the right side of the P2V pointing at you) and you will be shocked how far you can fly (well out of visual or audible range.) It is frightening because as soon as you turn the P2V (so that the side is not pointing at you) you will lose video feed and telemetry. I tried to fly back, but after a few minutes I decided to not panic and turned off the controller and it returned home (too cool, but not something to depend on, I did it because I was in the middle of nothing but farm land and it was not possible to hurt anything other than the P2V itself.)

Happy flying.

@ Themosttoys, thanks for sharing those numbers. I'm in Los Angeles, California so Im very limited in where I can fly at any real distance without making a day trip out of it or heading out to sea. So its good to see what the P2V can do when out in the open.

Rich

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik