Distance test - RTH scare.

Reaction score
Hey All,

This is my first post, I've owned my phantom plus since June and been enjoying it. Have done lots of reading here and had many successful flights.

I decided I want more range but before I spend money on new antennas I thought I would test the diy coffee can solution.
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18157
So I built it and went out tonight to a spot where I always fly to test. It's up on a ridge overlooking a river. Really good line of sight.

The furthest I ever got my stock bird out was about 3300' (with booster app) before RTH. I actually only ever tried going that far once, just wanted to see how far it would go.

So anyhow tonight I figured I'd do 2 runs. First a completely stock run and then put on the coffee cans for the second run. On the first run I figured I would get around 2500' feet and then RTH but surprisingly it went all the way to 4200' and still had video. I got nervous and decided that was far enough so I stopped there. The strange thing is that the telemetry froze and all the icons on the top left (satellites etc.) went grey.

I was expecting it to RTH but it seemed to just sit there. I still had video feed although it may have just been a frozen still, hard to say cause it was night time. After a while I switched off the controller in hopes to initiate the RTH, then switched it back. Still no telemtry. Now I know the battery is getting low and I'm freaking out so I hold the stick in reverse to fly back in my direction thinking that maybe the controller is still communicating with the phantom but not reading out any telemetry.

Anyways after what seemed like an eternity the app started to work properly again and the POOF! RTH COMING HOME. It came home with 28% battery. I never bothered to test the coffee can, figured I shouldn't push my luck and went home.

My question is.... why did the RTH not kick in sooner? Why did the app freeze up?

Thanks!
20141121_231014.jpg

20141121_230928.jpg

Wise decision not to do the second run.
It didn't return or @ least you think it didn't because i suspect your freaking out.
The absence of telemetry is due to wi-fi loss. That it grays out is normal.
The wi-fi works noticeable better getting out then coming in.
So it could take a long wile for fpv to return.
Clearly your wi-fi losses connection first before the remote does.
No need for that coffee can mod anyway.
I find it odd that you state that you've done plenty of flights and never did a test like that.
But hey i am a fast guy, i want to know it all in one flight.

how long did the Phantom stop before returning, i understand if it loses signal it'll wait for 20seconds before rth

RTH only kicks in when the TX-connection is lost and not when (only) the wifi (i.e telemetry) connection is lost. That why in your case RTH did not kick in.

OK I understand that now. Did some flights today and yea it seems like it has a way better TX signal than wifi. So how do I get better Wifi?? Guess I'll need to spend the money for antenna mod huh?

Thanks!

dongetti said:
OK I understand that now. Did some flights today and yea it seems like it has a way better TX signal than wifi. So how do I get better Wifi?? Guess I'll need to spend the money for antenna mod huh?

Thanks!
:eek:
How much range are you looking for?
If you only had 28% left on battery, it wouldn't make it back home if you went much further.
At some point, this kind of testing will result in a lost Phantom.

dongetti said:
Thanks!

Get the "Vision + Utility Pro" app. Next get your two antenna wires out of the inside of each leg. Matter of fact there is several things you can do. I can share more another time when you have become more involved with in the community here.

It has to be making you feel good receiving all the support you have from other pilots here, and you just recently decided to join.

Idbird said:
:eek:
How much range are you looking for?
If you only had 28% left on battery, it wouldn't make it back home if you went much further.
At some point, this kind of testing will result in a lost Phantom.

Thanks for the advice. The reason it went to 28% was because it flew out far and then just sat there hovering... I thought it lost TX signal and wasn't coming home. I needed to fly further for it to actually lose TX and initiate RTH.

flyNfrank said:
Get the "Vision + Utility Pro" app. Next get your two antenna wires out of the inside of each leg. Matter of fact there is several things you can do. I can share more another time when you have become more involved with in the community here.

It has to be making you feel good receiving all the support you have from other pilots here, and you just recently decided to join.

Thanks for the antenna wires tip. I already have the Vision + Utility Pro app.

Yes it's great to receive support, I'd return the favor but I doubt anyone on here wants my novice advice. Thanks again.

flyNfrank said:

Bow to the sacred elder one. No, it does not matter that the product we are discussing has been practially available to the public for only half a year. Or one year if you count the bare Phantom 2(non-vision). We are all novice here!!!

I'm sorry flyNfrank, but I've been on this forum passively almost from the beginning and actively quite recently. Have seen you acting arrogantly on numerous ocassions. If you know some answer then answer it, if you don't then don't write anything. Don't spew that elite elder ego tripping stuff. Is that by any means constructive?!

I remember when you "discovered" the revolutionary method of fast flying and came here bragging about it and not wanting to share any info about it.(It was just ATTI mode combined with wind)

Quite recently you made a post that you became an official DJI SDK developer, yet when people actually became interested in your post and ideas, and started asking question you went away. The only(one) answer you left was about what programming language was used, you said "English". :roll:
So basically more arogant bragging and no constructive real info about anything.

I aplaud the original poster here, he at least wrote a nice story of what happened to him.

dongetti said:
My question is.... why did the RTH not kick in sooner?

RTH should have kicked in when you turned off the remote. It should also kick in when the battery level gets low enough that the drone thinks it's time to come back to base.

Its scary to trust the little guy but I bet he would have come back home eventually, regardless of what you were doing with the remote.

Make sure to write your phone number on your drone though... you never know for sure when it will come in handy.

Nathan Carter said:
flyNfrank said:

Bow to the sacred elder one. No, it does not matter that the product we are discussing has been practially available to the public for only half a year. Or one year if you count the bare Phantom 2(non-vision). We are all novice here!!!

I'm sorry flyNfrank, but I've been on this forum passively almost from the beginning and actively quite recently. Have seen you acting arrogantly on numerous ocassions. If you know some answer then answer it, if you don't then don't write anything. Don't spew that elite elder ego tripping stuff. Is that by any means constructive?!

I remember when you "discovered" the revolutionary method of fast flying and came here bragging about it and not wanting to share any info about it.(It was just ATTI mode combined with wind)

Quite recently you made a post that you became an official DJI SDK developer, yet when people actually became interested in your post and ideas, and started asking question you went away. The only(one) answer you left was about what programming language was used, you said "English". :roll:
So basically more arogant bragging and no constructive real info about anything.

I aplaud the original poster here, he at least wrote a nice story of what happened to him.

finally someone who has the guts to say what I was thinking :lol:
well said Nathan Carter +1

Nathan Carter said:
flyNfrank said:

I remeber when you "discovered" the revolutionary method of fast flying and came here bragging about it and not wanting to share any info about it.(It was just ATTI mode combined with wind)

And who are you to judge me. To my knowledge nobody forces you to come to this website. If you don't like the personality of it, or those that dedicate numerous hours contributing to the community.

To begin with, neither I or anyone else owes you anything here. We all are who we are. Either you accept people for who they are, and for what they do or do not put into something, or....you shut up and find a place that you can better fit into that you don't post some condescending BS like you did here. Sending a PM when have been a much better way to approach someone in such a situation. Especially when dealing with a website that is not known for it's members to lash out at another member. You should know this if you have been here as long as you say you have. Btw, if you have been here a year, you must have been using another account.

Absolutely everything you claimed of me was twisted.

<<I remeber when you "discovered" the revolutionary method of fast flying and came here bragging about it and not wanting to share any info about it.(It was just ATTI mode combined with wind)>>
I posted my personal best Top Speed flights which get documented with the Flytrex top speed category. You obviously mistook other members post in the thread who thought I must have been doing something to go that fast. Go read the thread again and get your facts straight.

Twisted-
<<Quite recently you made a post that you became an official DJI SDK developer, yet when people actually became interested in your post and ideas, and started asking question you went away.>>
You are kidding, right? I obviously have not gotten back to the thread. I was on late and created a thread and posted in another, and feel asleep while attempting to respond to another. I actually have 8-10 threads that I didn't get to either.

I do not appreciate you posting what you did. You do not have any respect for this site to post stuff like you did. I gave the thread starter a couple of good options to do. I let him know there was more to give once he has had a chance to settle in. When I first started posting a question on this site 3 out 4 responses were telling me to read the manual. This is why I said he had to feel good with the responses he had received.

I won't' be responding to anymore of your BS. I'm not hurting you, so if you don't like the way I am don't follow me.

dongetti said:
flyNfrank said:

Thanks for the antenna wires tip. I already have the Vision + Utility Pro app.

Yes it's great to receive support, I'd return the favor but I doubt anyone on here wants my novice advice. Thanks again.

It's not about giving or offering advice, just being an active member is all it takes. Like talking about your flights, or showing pic's or video of the area you fly in, ect. And as far as I know, nobody will chew your head off either. What went on above is extremely rare. I personally don't know of anyone else ever acting out like that since I have been here.

Btw, I have a pic on what you can do with the antenna wire. I'll post it soon as I find it.

Ok I found it.

So what I'm showing here is once you pull the wire out you can add a couple of wire ties. Make sure one is in the opposite direction. This method will help secure the wire some and help keep it from going back in the leg or swinging around loosely. Do the same on the front wire which will with return flights, as in when the quad is facing you. Just remember though, the rear wire is the most important as it has more range then the front one. Make sure you make a RTH 1st while the quad is facing away from you. Otherwise you could end up with loosing both the controller & wifi signals. If this should happen, take off and run towards the quad while checking every so often to see if you have regained a signal. Make sure the "Side" of the controller antenna is pointing toward the quad and NOT the tip of antenna. The flat top surface of the range extender is also what needs to be in the direction of the quad.

Click on image to see better reference of wire route.

Attachments

• 1antwire2.jpg
    1antwire2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 478
flyNfrank said:
And who are you to judge me. To my knowledge nobody forces you to come to this website. If you don't like the personality of it, or those that dedicate numerous hours contributing to the community.

First off let me recognize your effort. I see you made a few additional posts now to help the original poster(dongetti) here. Was that so hard to do in the first place?
That was my point!

Let me explain my position. I probably read almost all posts here on the forum and I never, never, saw from any other member here (whether he had thousands posts or just a few under his belt) to request from a new member that he first contributes to this forum and then they would give them answers. Everybody was kind enough to always respond with as much info as they can to all members, new or old. Everybody but you. Only in your posts I saw a wish to keep some separation between the "elite" and "non elite". And I hate that principle!
I myself love to contribute to this forum and I have also dedicated here numerous hours to help others. Anyone can verify that by viewing my post history in my profile!

flyNfrank said:
Btw, if you have been here a year, you must have been using another account.

Why do you assume that? This forum is not locked for public viewing and reading. I was reading the forum without an account. I have no other account but this one. I created one account when I actually got my Phantom 2 VISION+. Previously I owned other quadcopters and I have plenty experience with electronics, software development and photography. Currently I'm traveling through Europe with my Phantom, shooting and collecting some of the most beautiful nature scenery I have ever seen. When I return I will compile it and share it here so everyone can see what the inferior p2v+ camera is capable of when the conditions are right.

flyNfrank said:
You obviously mistook other members post in the thread who thought I must have been doing something to go that fast. Go read the thread again and get your facts straight.
My facts are straight. I was talking about this thread: viewtopic.php?t=26994
Here is a quoted part from you in that thread:

flyNfrank said:
I'm not going to share the details until maybe I have had some time to work on some details, as well as if it should be something for all to know.

That is that....

flyNfrank said:
You are kidding, right? I obviously have not gotten back to the thread. I was on late and created a thread and posted in another, and feel asleep while attempting to respond to another. I actually have 8-10 threads that I didn't get to either.
No I'm not kidding. You created that thread 3 days ago! Last reply was 2 days ago! And judging from you profile information you are located in Indianapolis, USA. That is EST time zone, so UTC -5 hours. If I set that time zone on my profile here on phantompilots.com and go check your thread about you becoming a developer. I can clearly see at what time you did post. And it certainly was not "late" as you said. Here are the times:

Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:32 pm <-- Original post
Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:13 pm <-- "Short for software development kit, a programming...."
Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:40 pm <-- "Please be more specific. I never was good at reading anyones mind..."
Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:21 pm <-- "Everything I have downloaded is English."

So when did you fell asleep again? And how come in three days you did not manage to answer a single question on that thread. Most of those questions(including mine) only required very short one/two word answers!!!
Thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29950
Examples of questions not answered:
"What is the SDK Level 2 price?"
"Are you under an NDA?"
"are you an android or apple dev?"
... and so on...

That was three days ago! Meanwhile you wrote many other posts here on phantompilots.com. If that is not definite proof that you are ignoring that thread I don't know what is!

flyNfrank said:
I do not appreciate you posting what you did. You do not have any respect for this site to post stuff like you did.
Well I do not appreciate how you handle new members with some sort of elitism here. That is my primary motivation I wrote on this thread. Original poster has the right to know who he is dealing with!
And I have great respect for this site! The only reason I registered here is actually to help others and to share my knowledge to the best of my ability whenever I catch time. I believe we should all help each other and treat each other with respect, not elitism!

flyNfrank said:
When I first started posting a question on this site 3 out 4 responses were telling me to read the manual. This is why I said he had to feel good with the responses he had received.

It is always advisable to learn the manual by heart. But the questions the original poster asked here, are not to be found in the DJI manuals. So your comment to him was not appropriate.

If that is not harassment, I don't know what is.

No doubt you clearly have a obsession. If you have anything else to say send a PM. Or better yet knock the **** off and leave me alone.

flyNfrank said:
If that is not harassment, I don't know what is.

No doubt you clearly have a obsession. If you have anything else to say send a PM. Or better yet knock the **** off and leave me alone.

I beg your pardon?! Harassment!? You requested me to set my facts straight. I then wrote very exact statements here with links and times(by viewing publicly available info from your profile page right now).

You respond to that with insults and rudeness!?

It'd be interesting to see what Kyla and Vicki think of Ernest Jr's attitude over there in Lafayette.

dongetti said:
My question is.... why did the RTH not kick in sooner? Why did the app freeze up?

Sounds similar to the experience I had reported in this thread: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29773

Was just doing a normal flight when I simultaneously lost both the control and WiFi signals. I had never lost both simultaneously. Had no idea what the P2V+ was doing. No report of RTH.

The flight video shows the P2V+ hovering, beginning a yaw toward home, but continuing to do several 360° turns. Then hovers for about 3 minutes facing in the wrong direction, finally yawing toward home and heading home.

I had turned the controller off for a short period, tried the IOC "Home," had done the S1 - ""Failsafe." Don't know what if anything finally triggered RTH. Finally saw the P2V+ coming home and regained control to land, but never re-established video/telemetry.

At the time was afraid of what might happen, but ended happily.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20