Distance away from transmitter off

Reaction score
Sometime when flying the distance for the drone away from me is wrong. The height looks right. What should I do. Only thing I know of is to re calibrate the compass. Any suggestions.

Reactions: Aussie Paul
Sometime when flying the distance for the drone away from me is wrong.
Did you possibly update the home point? A little more detail would help.

Reactions: Loz
Sometime when flying the distance for the drone away from me is wrong. The height looks right. What should I do. Only thing I know of is to re calibrate the compass. Any suggestions.
Which phantom there is imu and compass calibration in all phantoms ,,could try simple reinstall of app before digging into it

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
maybe you wondered away from the original home point

Compass is not the issue, compass provides direction, GPS provides position to calculate current location, if home point was recorded (and not subsequently changed which pilot may do) the system can work out distance AC is from recorded ‘home’. It does not know (or care) where pilot / Remote controller is. If you walked away from where ‘Home’ was recorded by AC GPS as it took off, system would not know. Based on what I’ve described, are you able to confirm what is not working?

In summary distance apps shows is from take off not where you are. Most of the time but not always, this is the same place (pilot never moved much).

Thanks for the ideas. I have never changed the home point while flying unless i did it accidentally. I read that you can. Also I have never moved very far from the home point. Still new to flying so I stay pretty close. It seemed like it just started doing this. I don't believe it does it every time. The other day I was flying here in my yard and i went high enough to take of a picture of my neighbors house. Up about 175 feet. I looked at the the distance out and it was like 785 feet. Next time I fly it might be right. I used to recalabrite the compass every time I flew. I will fly some more and post.

Thanks for the ideas. I have never changed the home point while flying unless i did it accidentally. I read that you can. Also I have never moved very far from the home point. Still new to flying so I stay pretty close. It seemed like it just started doing this. I don't believe it does it every time. The other day I was flying here in my yard and i went high enough to take of a picture of my neighbors house. Up about 175 feet. I looked at the the distance out and it was like 785 feet. Next time I fly it might be right. I used to recalabrite the compass every time I flew. I will fly some more and post.
Forget the compass. It will make no difference to anything regarding distance.
I wonder if your Phantom is really giving you incorrect distance data.
It's hard to imagine how it could and I think yours would be the first to do that if it is.

The Phantom records a home point at the launch spot and during the flight, it calculates the distance from its current position to the recorded home point.
With GPS as it is, that should be within a few feet of accurate - for the horizontal distance between you and a spot directly below your Phantom.
Check carefully again next time you fly

As we have indicated, this is very unusual, definitely not normal. If persists, suggest take a screenshot (so one can see visual record of incorrect distance) then return, land and share flight logs - the very capable folk on here may be able to determine cause.

any update on this one?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic