Distance and battery question....

Reaction score
Am i correct in assuming that my battery life will be shorter when going for distance as apposed to photo/video flying?. I flew today and noticed shorter battery life than usual. I assume since i would be flying full throttle both ways you are consuming more battery.. is there any tricks to getting distance and pushing battery life? Would love to hear your input on this.

Sent from my SM-N930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

fly out in atti mode get there faster

Am i correct in assuming that my battery life will be shorter when going for distance as apposed to photo/video flying?. I flew today and noticed shorter battery life than usual. I assume since i would be flying full throttle both ways you are consuming more battery.. is there any tricks to getting distance and pushing battery life? Would love to hear your input on this.

Sent from my SM-N930F using PhantomPilots mobile app
like this

Of course full throttle will eat the juice.

You are welcome to try a trick of mine. Climb to an altitude between 200-300ft and hover. Then place the R/C in A-mode and drift a mile or two away and switch back to P-mode once you reach a distance your happy with. Something to know is that the wind direction changes at different altitudes. So at the beginning you will need to search and see if you can come up with a direction you're ok with.

Don't forget you'll have a headwind to deal with on the return flight. So don't drift too far on your mission.

Reactions: Longhorn
Flying at full speed doesn't use as much battery as you might imagine.
The Phantom has to use a lot of power just to stay up in the air and it goes faster by tilting more .. not by revving the motors harder (which would make it climb).
You weren't flying full throttle - you were flying at full tilt.
Optimum speed for distance might be slightly less than full speed but there are a lot of variables (like wind) and it's hard to calculate and the difference would be small.
Most distance flyers simply go fast.

Reactions: Dadcat and flpholt
It's for sure that keeping constant speed gets you better distances.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

A respected world class long distance member once told me to avoid ATTI on the return trip - especially the latter half of the return trip, unless you have no choice. He says when he screams home in ATTI with the battery nearing depletion, he usually has to retire the battery.

As a rule, it's best not to be too aggressive when the battery is getting low. And this fits perfectly with a good distance run since you'd normally be descending for the latter half of the return trip and therefore decreasing load on the battery.

Reactions: Digdat0
I just flew through my first battery. Well more like hovered. Is it bad on the battery or motors to mostly hover at around 5 to 20 feet?

I just flew through my first battery. Well more like hovered. Is it bad on the battery or motors to mostly hover at around 5 to 20 feet?
The battery doesn't care at what level you fly or hover.
But for safety it's probably good to stay further away from the ground rather than close to it.

Well the closer you are to the ground, the closer you are to the center of the earth, where Gravity is stronger. That will drain your battery faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The battery doesn't care at what level you fly or hover.
But for safety it's probably good to stay further away from the ground rather than close to it.

Makes sense. I need alot of practice. I'm not too comfortable going too high. I think the highest I've went was 30 or 40 feet haha

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj