Display showing direction of controller instead of plane.

Reaction score
This was the first flight of my new Pantom 3 crashed the last one and I also have an inspire 1 so I am very familiar with the operation and controls unless I am missing something. I am using a Samsung Note 4 and instead of the paper plane on the display showing the planes direction it is pointed in, it is showing the controllers. Made it very hard to fly back home in gps display. Never had this happen before.With the other phantom 3 or the inspire 1.

I could easily see how this could get you into trouble.
I took off facing the same direction as the plane which is normal. you fly for awhile and decide to fly back using the orange line on the gps box in the lower left hand corner which is how I normally do.
You turn the plane to follow the line back to home but in reality the paper plane is pointed in the direction you have the controller pointed. So now if you are not facing the plane and turned the controller 90 degrees, it will show on the screen that you plane is facing 90 deg from the line. So you keep turning your plane to follow the line and in reality you are making a big circle instead of coming straight home. Luckily the return to home still worked before my battery got low.

Last edited:
Try calibrating the compass on your Samsung Note 4.

Mine did the same thing (IPad2) for a couple flights.
Your right ,it gets confusing.
I believe what I did was ,,,on the little map screen t,heres a North arrow. I pressed it.
when I turn it back on I;ll check

That was it,that diamond shaped object at the top right of the map screen is the N -S .
Press it and a lock will appear on it. That will put you where you want to be. If you dont see the lock the RC will turn with the map The RED is point to the North

I tried it again when I got home and tested it from my porch where I made a dozen flights before , and I had the same issue (propellers removed). The small image plane was not pointing in the direction of the air craft but which way the controller or smart phone was pointing. another words the craft would be pointed at a landmark on the gps screen and as I turned with the controller it would show the craft turning away from the landmark and point in the direction I am facing with the controller, even though the craft hasn't moved and has always been pointed at the landmark.
I powered everything down and powered off my smart phone, then powered everything back up and got a imu needs calibrating. So I made sure the craft was perfectly level and did the calibration and every thing worked ok. I may never know what happened but from now on before take off I am going to turn the controller to make sure the display plane on the screen is pointed in relationship with the craft and not the controller.

Try calibrating the compass on your Samsung Note 4.
I did that when I got home I even have an app that does that. But it wasn't a compass issue it was that the little red aircraft was locked to the heading of the controller instead of the craft. The screen locked north and the plane pointing north and if I turned the controller 180 deg.The red plane would also turn as I turned and point south and away everything on the map it was pointing at.

That was it,that diamond shaped object at the top right of the map screen is the N -S .
Press it and a lock will appear on it. That will put you where you want to be. If you dont see the lock the RC will turn with the map The RED is point to the North
No it wasn't the map orientation, The craft could be sitting on the ground and gps map showing the plane pointing at a house across the street and as you turned with the RC it would show the craft turning and pointing to other houses and if you turned 180 degress it would show the craft is pointing 180 deg. away from the house now, even though the craft never moved and has been pointing at the house the whole time.

Last edited:
I thank everyone for the help I probably will never know what caused that but from now on when I fly either the phantom or inspire 1 I will turn with the RC and make sure on screen that the orientation of the craft doesn't change before taking off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers