Display options and the controller

Reaction score
First: I can't seem to find out if the controller alone will allow you to get FPV. Can someone confirm if an additional display (phone, nvidia, etc) is required to see live video?

Second: If I need to purchase a display for FPV, is the preferred display still the nVidia shield? Or is there a better option around the same price point?

Thanks.

Tyler
P2 owner with Mavic on order

According to the only info on the Goggles we have (Mavic page: under 'Easy' -> 'See the world like a bird'):

Built-in OcuSync delivers a 1080p video stream and, because it connects directly to the Mavic and not through a cable or a Wi-Fi link to the controller, a super low latency.

However, unless there are controller-only flights (I haven't seen anyone try or explicitly comment on whether they can connect without a phone), I don't see this as being feasible, unfortunately.

I do have to say that having that compact controller in the hand with only the HMD is a fantastic mental image.

The OcuSync is just for the goggles I thought. I'm more curious if the little display on the controller shows video or just flight stats.

I'm curious too, I'm.afraid my phone may not be compatible, then what do I do

I'm more curious if the little display on the controller shows video or just flight stats.

lbn7dabryscey6z2qt6i.jpg

Based on the way the phone holder is shaped, it must be pairing to the phone via Bluetooth. I'd kind of like a physical connection like the P3/P4 controller just for safety (one less thing to suddenly decide to stop working) but it probably won't be that big a deal. I think most if not all of the iOS/Android devices people use with P3/P4s can do Bluetooth 4.0?

Based on the way the phone holder is shaped, it must be pairing to the phone via Bluetooth. I'd kind of like a physical connection like the P3/P4 controller just for safety (one less thing to suddenly decide to stop working) but it probably won't be that big a deal. I think most if not all of the iOS/Android devices people use with P3/P4s can do Bluetooth 4.0?

I remember seeing a lightning to usb cord in one of the videos, so I would assume that the connection to the remote is wired.

Based on the way the phone holder is shaped, it must be pairing to the phone via Bluetooth.

In several of the preview videos, they explicitly show that it's a Lightning connector (for iPhones) just like the P3/P4. Since most reviewers were using iPhones, it's unknown whether this built-in Lightning connector could be swapped for microUSB, or if you would have to use the generic USB port located on the base of the unit (where the clips fold onto). Either way, the connection between the phone and controller is absolutely wired.

If you look at 'whats in the box' you'll see a cable for iPhone and a micro USB for Android so the connection is wired between the controller and phone.

OK, so the phone connects to the controller via micro USB or Lightning. BUT, would my Nvidia Shield K1 fit into the holder?

That would be a must for me.

Regards, Jim

OK, so the phone connects to the controller via micro USB or Lightning. BUT, would my Nvidia Shield K1 fit into the holder?

That would be a must for me.

Regards, Jim
No because the K1 is 221mm tall and the the controller will accommodate up to 160mm. I'm sure there will be adapters in the near future.

No because the K1 is 221mm tall and the the controller will accommodate up to 160mm. I'm sure there will be adapters in the near future.

Thanks for the reply. The K1 is 221 mm x 126 mm. Would the 126 mm "length" fit?

Regards, Jim

Yes, but you'll be viewing the video in portrait and not landscape.
Thats a bit of a bummer. I've used my dad's P4 with my iphone5, and there's a lot jammed into that little screen. I'm wondering if the controller offloading some of the stats and control will free up more real estate for the video. If I don't have to buy a shield, I'd love to save the $200.

Thats a bit of a bummer. I've used my dad's P4 with my iphone5, and there's a lot jammed into that little screen. I'm wondering if the controller offloading some of the stats and control will free up more real estate for the video. If I don't have to buy a shield, I'd love to save the $200.
Put some velcro on the back of the K1 and the controller arms, then lay the K1 on the arms. Should tide you over until a large display adapter is released.

OK, that wouldn't be so bad for a while. Or, your other suggestion would also be OK for a while.

Best regards, Jim
Don't think the DJI Go app can display in portrait view, so you'll be looking at sidewards video. Unless you have a custom rom on your K1 that can force apps into a certain orientation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj