Disconnected gimbal and camera

Reaction score
I have removed the gimbal and camera assembly until a new one ships. When I run the DJI app on my phone, I'm getting no telemetry data, including radar, height and speed. I wouldn't have thought removing the camera and gimbal assembly would cause this. Thoughts?

this was already mantioned many times in this forum.
yes you will lose all the telemetry data.
do you need telemetry when not using FPV..? you have to look at your phantom all the time anyway.

There are thousands of posts on this forum. The search doesn't work well. And yes, I do need telemetry. No, I don't have to look at the Phantom all the time. But thanks for your reply nonetheless.

Yeah, your telemetry will go away until you hook your camera back up. You can still fly it, but have to keep an eye on it as you have no WIFI, so keep an eye on your LEDs and do short flights and keep checking your battery level.
I went through this when I was waiting for my replacement camera to come in... But the cool thing, the batteries seem to last a lot longer.. ( less weight and no Gimbel motors to power)

I noticed that SpikeFinch! Getting ~20 minutes before I land it. Thanks for the tips!

SpikeFinch said:
Yeah, your telemetry will go away until you hook your camera back up. You can still fly it, but have to keep an eye on it as you have no WIFI, so keep an eye on your LEDs and do short flights and keep checking your battery level.
I went through this when I was waiting for my replacement camera to come in... But the cool thing, the batteries seem to last a lot longer.. ( less weight and no Gimbel motors to power)

I had my most carefree, enjoyable flight ever this evening - without the camera and gimbal (broken and sold for parts).

I didn't worry about what it might cost if it flew away or crashed... just the pleasure of flying by sight over the lake in the dark. Wonderful.

It would have been nice to know how high and far the UAV had gone, but not a big deal.

kjopc said:
SpikeFinch said:

I had my most carefree, enjoyable flight ever this evening - without the camera and gimbal (broken and sold for parts).

I didn't worry about what it might cost if it flew away or crashed... just the pleasure of flying by sight over the lake in the dark. Wonderful.

It would have been nice to know how high and far the UAV had gone, but not a big deal.

I felt the same way when my camera was removed... Just worry free flying... Maybe they will think about a quick disconnect camera in the next rev.

SpikeFinch said:
Yeah, your telemetry will go away until you hook your camera back up.

Is it that the telemetry is processed inside the camera/gimbal or that without the camera/gimbal the cables that carry the signal are disconnected?

Maybe hooking up the dangling cables will bring back the telemetry?

kjopc said:
SpikeFinch said:
Yeah, your telemetry will go away until you hook your camera back up.

Is it that the telemetry is processed inside the camera/gimbal or that without the camera/gimbal the cables that carry the signal are disconnected?

Maybe hooking up the dangling cables will bring back the telemetry?

I had to unhook my gimbal as it had the Harlem shakes, so as soon as you unhook the cables, all Wifi goes down.

Not sure in Phantom 2 vision. But in phantom 2 you don't need to have video and gimbal connected to have telemetry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers