Discharging too far

Reaction score
I leave my batteries on 2 lights with the 3rd flashing during storage, the self timer to discharge on 3 days.
But within a few weeks the batteries are on 1 light so it seems they are discharging themselves to flat and not the 50 or so percent they're supposed to.

Is there a setting somewhere I've missed?

To my understanding, batteries discharge completely and enter hibernation mode.

When batteries are in storage, you should change them every 3-4 months, to make sure they won't fall below one solid led.

It is normal that these batteries discharge slowly by themselves. Automatic discharge only discharges to ~50%, so it's not at fault here.
Discharge rate depends on temperature.

As long as it's not completely discharged after a month, I'd say everything is good.

I have the self discharge timer set to 7 days, but I always discharge them to below 70% far sooner.

To my understanding, batteries discharge completely and enter hibernation mode.
The smart electronics constantly draw current from the cells (even when off) however it is only in the uA range. It is also normal for cells to self discharge over time. Left unattended the packs will eventually discharge to the point where hibernation is initiated. This is not the auto discharge function however, it stops above 50%.

As above ...

ALL batterys self discharge ... some just at very very low rates ...

Personally - I charge up my batterys every few weeks and let auto discharge do its job ... if not flown.

If flown - I like to land with at least 30% still registered. I can then put to storage happily till next flight week later. If I fly to lower than 30% or do not expect to fly for more than a week later ... I charge fully and then let auto discharge do its job.

My view - do not let battery sit for long on one LED ... get it charged up and let the system look after it.

Nigel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.