Discharging battery

Reaction score
Was talking to someone about this in a thread, but can't find my post...

They mentioned they discharge there battery with light globes... So I got me 2x 60W globes

Can I just connect them both to the battery to help discharge it down to 8% (It says in Battery guide to discharge to 8% every 20 or so flights I think it was??)
Like is it as basic as hooking up globes to batteries?? Or do I need some other component or something so I don't damage anything ?
Would I need to use both 60W globes ?? and with either 1x or 2x60W is it going to take hours to discharge from like 20% to less 8% or should it be fairly quick ?

The globes were only like $4 so I don't mind if I kill them... but figured I would ask these questions so I don't damage the batteries....
Any better way to do it ?? Dont like flying around with less than 15% as it just wants to keep auto landing even though I have the option disabled in Assistant and App..

??

Thanks

Why the constant fixation with this draining of the batts issue? Fly the bird to 25%, leave the batts to charge until the night before you fly then change them up. Problem solved. And of that doesn't do it for you, charge the batts to 100%, leave them to discharge. It's been discussed before, au nauseim. The new program for the DJI batts auto discharges them!

Read in a few places about draining to 8% every X amount of flights (including battery manual on DJI website).. Apparently that is how you get the most out of them.. Dunno if its true or not... I only seem to get like 15 mins on both my batteries... obviously longer if it just hovers (but who wants to just hover for 15 mins).. From what I read on here I should be getting an extra few minutes so figured perhaps I was doing something wrong. I know it depends on flying style, but just seems like most people are saying they get a little longer flight time than me..

Justin00,
Instead of rigging up some sort of discharge device, just anchor your quad down and rev up the motors a little. It will not take that long to get down to the recommended 8% after 20 charges.

Yeah good idea, and probs better solution.

thanks

This thread reminds me people when they get a Prius or a Fiat e car and go about fussing about how far they can go on a charge. What diff does it make if you get 15 or 16 to or 18 minutes on your batts? Is it really that big of a deal to swap batts???? Is this a contest?

Lol I'm not into the hole distance contest thing.... but if its capable of 18 minutes for example, and you only get 15 minutes... wouldn't you try do something that essentially costs nothing to try get the extra 3 minutes ? Yeah its 3 mins, no big deal.. but costs nothing to try...

I've got 50 recharges on each battery... so around 100 all up... 100 x 3 minutes = 300 minutes!! ok Maybe that example is a bit dramatic, but costs nothing to learn/try so whats the big deal.... Especially if it can help save battery life (not saying it does, but maybe??)

Batteries are like $180 AUD... not cheap.

All true. For ME, when they get to 30% more or less, I'm looking to RTH, land and say what a nice flight I had! I have three batts total and if I get anywhere near 45m of light time in a day of fun, no crashes, I'm happy and and I'm going home! Now, once I get 20 flights out of each batt, THEN I will start to consider draining to the proverbial 8%. I will tell you this, there is no way, I'm going to 'sandbag' that bird in the garage and turn the props to artificially get to that level. Dangerous and a waste of the prop motors. Maybe, I;ll hover for a bit. But, as discussed, you get them below that 8% and they may never rerun to normal!

Prylar Bek said:
All true. For ME, when they get to 30% more or less, I'm looking to RTH, land and say what a nice flight I had! I have three batts total and if I get anywhere near 45m of light time in a day of fun, no crashes, I'm happy and and I'm going home! Now, once I get 20 flights out of each batt, THEN I will start to consider draining to the proverbial 8%. I will tell you this, there is no way, I'm going to 'sandbag' that bird in the garage and turn the props to artificially get to that level. Dangerous and a waste of the prop motors. Maybe, I;ll hover for a bit. But, as discussed, you get them below that 8% and they may never rerun to normal!
I don't see any reason to try to stretch every single second out of any battery. Only time I am interested in l-o-n-g battry time is when I have quad 10,000+ feet away from me. Your 15 minutes is fine, a nice flight time. As you stated, land and swap batteries, good. But when it comes to the time to bring battery down to the recommended 8% after 20 charges, I see nothing dangerous about locking the quad down. As for waste of prop motors, you are hovering, motors are still being used. Same amount of motor use. Then you also have to put up with the quad wanting to land. Maybe with your method you can use the time to continue to build operational skills. Something any and all of we pilots can use. Also I don't believe anyone suggested or stated they were trying to get below 8% on their battery.
It is all dependent on what you feel the most comfortable with that counts.

All true. The 8% issue I might have read on a LIPO blog, not sure. And yes, I will practice my hovering skills as I approach the recycle times for the batts. For ME, that makes more sense then there other methods

Prylar Bek,
It shows SoCal on your posts. If you are in Southern California, are you soaked with rain yet?

Oh, a misplaced Michigander! :)

DJI does say to discharge the batteries now and then. I don't recall the exact number of cycles, but they were talking about almost a full discharge. Eight percent sounds about right.

Prylar Bek said:
Indeed You fly in winter?
I don't plan on it very much. Too dang cold. I did pop up for about 8 minutes in my yard today. First time up in about three weeks. The wind finally went way down.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31