Disassemble the P3 S?

Reaction score
Any good vids showing the p3 S disassembly? I need to replace the wifi antennae by the battery bay and the main board is in the way.
Thanks

fgs, why do they make it look so hard! thats not the best way to do it. copy and pasted from a previous message i wrote....

Its actually really easy if you do what i do. Will take you seconds

• First, once you have removed all screws, wedge thin screwdriver shafts or similar between the arm shells to put a little outward pressure on the shells.
  • Next just squeeze the bottom shell arms below the tabs with your thumbs they will each pop out.
  • Next, move all screwdrivers closer in to reapply gentle outward pressure, now push the bottom shell in below the each center tab, they will pop out too.
  • Remember to now disconnect the gps clip before pulling it off.

Takes me about 60 seconds each time now. The first time took me forever by trying to wedge the tabs apart with credit cards and the like, each time you would unpop one only for another to pop back in lol

Best to make sure not to crinkle the shell edges and fingers. Otherwise the fingers stick out like little teeth or seams are ugly. May have a factor in how more likely you'll get stress cracks. I bent the seams a bit trying to wedge in a credit card to convince the clips to release.

Not sure what you mean about using thin screwdriver shafts.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I watched the video. Wow, what a pain that is, just to replace a couple of patch antennas. I reckon it would be easier to repair the wires

I watched the video. Wow, what a pain that is, just to replace a couple of patch antennas. I reckon it would be easier to repair the wires

Unfortunately, they're not wires. They are tiny coaxial cables, which are not practical to repair. It would take microsurgery and specialized equipment, and the repair would also compromise antenna performance even if it could be done. The cables cost less than $5 each. So replacement is the only real option, though I agree it is a pain to get access to the connections.

The cables cost less than $5 each.
Have you actually found them for less than $5/each? Whenever I see them, they are $20-$30 for the pair.

I've seen a bunch of Chinese equivalent cables at that price, though it takes weeks to get them shipped and they wouldn't match the color of the originals, and they may not be as flexible as they need to be for the gimbal vibration isolation. So I guess you're right. If I needed new cables, I'd probably go the safe and sure way, and just pay for the DJI parts.

I've seen a bunch of Chinese equivalent cables at that price
I've never seen anyone just buy the cables and attempt to attach them. I suppose it might be possible though.

I've never seen anyone just buy the cables and attempt to attach them. I suppose it might be possible though.

I believe those are just u.fl snap on coax connectors? Biggest problem would be scraping away the RTV and keeping the joint clean while removing the old cable, if it's still there, and snapping on the new. Then just a spec of RTV to help the new connector stay there. I admit I haven't done it on the Phantom myself, but I assume this is what DJI is doing if they get one in for repair.

The cables do snap onto the Phantom. I don't know how they attach on the other end though.

dji-p3-97-big.jpg

Probably soldered to the patch antenna board on the antenna side. If you can get the whole assembly for $20 to $30 for the pair, that is clearly the way to go. Now I understand what you meant.

Any good vids showing the p3 S disassembly? I need to replace the wifi antennae by the battery bay and the main board is in the way.
Thanks
Here you go:

Once I had those old patch antennas out, I'd be inclined to reinstall the replacements on the outside of the P3S. Maybe on the legs ?

What a hassle that would be every time should you damage the wires.

Do you think DJI designed that on purpose to make it hard ?

Last edited:
Once I had those old patch antennas out, I'd be inclined to reinstall the replacements on the outside of the P3S. Maybe on the legs ?

What a hassle that would be every time should you damage the wires.

Do you think DJI designed that on purpose to make it hard ?
Not at all, things are made to function not with repair or modifications in their thoughts.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Better way to remove the anti-drop pins is to push the ring down on the shaft, wait about 5 minutes, then firmly pull them out.
Here's a good example video:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4