Disappointing WiFi Mod First Flight

Reaction score
This post probably belongs in the "More Powerful Repeater?" thread, but it's gotten kind of large by now. I read all 900+ posts in that thread and decided to add a TP-Link TL-ANT2409A directional antenna to my WiFi repeater. I velcroed the top half of the TP-Link antenna to the WiFi repeater (See Photo). Yesterday, I flew my P2V for the first time since the mod and it was a bust. The video crapped out at 600 feet or slightly more every time. This was less than I got with the stock repeater (1050 feet a couple of times).

I put in another battery and removed the TP-Link antenna from the repeater. I held it in my hand (needed a 3rd hand for this) and aimed it the best I could. This time I was able to get out to 1300 feet, before losing video feed. On one run I was able to receive telemetry data out to 1800+ feet, but I lost video feed much before that. The problem was that once I lost the video feed, I could not re-establish it, even after returning to the home point. I tried backing out of the app several times. This happened one other time with me and I have read other posts that described the same behavior, but I'm not sure I've heard a good explanation for this.

A couple of questions emerged:

1) Why the crappy results in my first flight? I can only figure the TP-Link was shielding the repeater.

2) Why can't I re-establish video feed, after returning to a suitable range?

Ron

Attachments

• 6372 jpg web 2.jpg
    6372 jpg web 2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 456

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20