Digital zoom coming?

Reaction score
Any word on any updates to allow digital zoom? I know digital zoom can look crappy, I'm just curious if it is a future possibility. Looking at previous threads, some mentioned the Inspire has it now.

Any word on any updates to allow digital zoom? I know digital zoom can look crappy, I'm just curious if it is a future possibility. Looking at previous threads, some mentioned the Inspire has it now.
We can already add digital "fake" zoom in post-production software, we don't need DJI to add this "useless" feature to their cameras.

Reactions: Reed L
We can already add digital "fake" zoom in post-production software, we don't need DJI to add this "useless" feature to their cameras.
image.gif

How would zoom be useless?

Reactions: dirkclod
"new drone maker adds in incredible zoom and spying capabilities to their line of square airplanes"
I can already read the headlines now
(anyone who watched the "woman steals drone" video will get the reference)

How would zoom be useless?
That's right, we want the real optical zoom like MIlticoptertec mentioned, not the fake digital zoom.
Like I have said, if you want the digital zoom, you can already do that in a video editor now. Don't need DJI to add this feature into their firmware, which is why I consider it useless to do so :rolleyes:
Most digital zoom incorporated in a cam e.g. in those action cams, they only allow you to digitally zoom into the centre portion of the image. With video editors, you can select any portion of the screen to digitally zoom in, not just the centre portion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckaye
I wouldn't mind optical zoom, but until the camera changes and technology improves, it most likely won't be happening anytime soon.

Used this for work a few days ago and any zoom in fpv could have helped quite a bit. Even it if was distorted a bit.

That's right, we want the real optical zoom like MIlticoptertec mentioned, not the fake digital zoom.
Like I have said, if you want the digital zoom, you can already do that in a video editor now. Don't need DJI to add this feature into their firmware, which is why I consider it useless to do so :rolleyes:
Most digital zoom incorporated in a cam e.g. in those action cams, they only allow you to digitally zoom into the centre portion of the image. With video editors, you can select any portion of the screen to digitally zoom in, not just the centre portion.

I was testing out some zoom in post with Premiere. Looked kind of crappy. Anyone have better luck with anything else.

I don't know if I've missed something in this thread, but digital zoom was added at least for the P4, to the iOS App in a recent update.

I was testing out some zoom in post with Premiere. Looked kind of crappy. Anyone have better luck with anything else.
What exactly do you mean by looked kind of crappy? Do you mean the resolution looks worse? If so, of course it is because digital zoom is just enlarging a portion of an image, so you still notice the bigger pixels.

1080p is still acceptable to many. Digital TV is still 720 here in Aus.
4K digital zoom (crop) to 1080p should be a function. Any resolution less would be useless. Digital zoom would help heaps in framing and hence less editing. Those who do editing would understand that it takes time to track a moving subject in a cropped frame. Imagine filming a rabbit in 4K and you dont want to disturb it by keeping your distance. The rabbit is now running across the 4k frame. Now in order to track that rabbit and crop to 1080p, you would need to edit each frame and crop or get expensive editing software that tracks subjects.

Imagine filming a rabbit in 4K and you dont want to disturb it by keeping your distance. The rabbit is now running across the 4k frame. Now in order to track that rabbit and crop to 1080p, you would need to edit each frame and crop or get expensive editing software that tracks subjects.
You don't need expensive video editing software to crop your video. I am using the inexpensive Cyberlink Powerdirector 13 which has this feature, you have the flexibility of cropping any portion of the screen as you like.

With most built-in digital zoom in an action cameras, they can only zoom into the centre portion of the image sensor, with fast moving objects like a rabbit running across the screen, you will most likely going to miss capturing the rabbit.

You don't need expensive video editing software to crop your video. I am using the inexpensive Cyberlink Powerdirector 13 which has this feature, you have the flexibility of cropping any portion of the screen as you like.

With most built-in digital zoom in an action cameras, they can only zoom into the centre portion of the image sensor, with fast moving objects like a rabbit running across the screen, you will most likely going to miss capturing the rabbit.

Its this action camera zooming from 4k to centre usable 1080p with the frame is what we want. Having the frame will simply remove the need for post editing.

The rabbit is an example of difficulties in post editing where you need to reframe by frame. You will find that some users will want this feature, especially if they are bird watching and dont want to disrupt or get too close.

Its this action camera zooming from 4k to centre usable 1080p with the frame is what we want. Having the frame will simply remove the need for post editing.

The rabbit is an example of difficulties in post editing where you need to reframe by frame. You will find that some users will want this feature, especially if they are bird watching and dont want to disrupt or get too close.
If you are serious about zooming in for tasks like bird watching, optical zoom is what you want.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.