Different max distances on flights?

Reaction score
So today, since it is finally above freezing, i took my phantom out for a flight. I flew no different than any other day but i noticed today that when i was about 400m away, my video and control link was still holding strong (usually video gets choppy at about 400m, i also live in a semi-dense residential area.) I decided to see how much i could push it and ended up getting out a total of 818m before my video cut out! My past record was 665m.

I took it out for a second time today, and the drone was back to how it usually works, I got to about 400m out and the video became choppy as usual. My max distance was just over 500m before the failsafe kicked in.

Why was there such a drastic increase in my distance on my first flight? How can i get out that far again? I flew the same route on both flights and i am using the stock controller (i do plan to order the dbsmods extender when i get some money together.)

Well a few reasons firstly the weather, well air pressure has a affect, the next will be height, the extenders will help lots, I have a advance with parobolic extenders and managed 2.9 miles straight line. My standard maxed at 1.4 miles.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well a few reasons firstly the weather, well air pressure has a affect, the next will be height, the extenders will help lots, I have a advance with parobolic extenders and managed 2.9 miles straight line. My standard maxed at 1.4 miles.

I do see how weather can effect the drone but wouldn't that cause the signal strength to degrade at varying distances? I can predict exactly when my video is going to start becoming choppy and what distance i will loose signal. Between my second flight today and all my other flights, the distance i can get is exactly the same.
My thought was could it have anything to do with FCC and CE modes? Signal becomes very poor at around 500m. which is the distance of CE mode, correct? My first flight today made it to 818m when FCC mode is rated for 1000m, i do expect my max distance to be lowered due to residential area. Is there any way that it is somehow getting locked in CE mode? I am located in the US which should cause FCC mode to automatically enable correct?

That is a possibility yes, but I'm not 100 per cent, here in the uk I mainly run up against weather pressure interference, are you flying over flat land or hills ?

That is a possibility yes, but I'm not 100 per cent, here in the uk I mainly run up against weather pressure interference, are you flying over flat land or hills ?

I am flying over flat land but the area is pretty heavily wooded and plenty of residential so i am not expecting to reach the max distance of the drone. I am doubting weather since i can ALWAYS predict my max distance and i have NEVER had another flight with a stable connection over 500m.

So today, since it is finally above freezing, i took my phantom out for a flight. I flew no different than any other day but i noticed today that when i was about 400m away, my video and control link was still holding strong (usually video gets choppy at about 400m, i also live in a semi-dense residential area.) I decided to see how much i could push it and ended up getting out a total of 818m before my video cut out! My past record was 665m.

I took it out for a second time today, and the drone was back to how it usually works, I got to about 400m out and the video became choppy as usual. My max distance was just over 500m before the failsafe kicked in.

Why was there such a drastic increase in my distance on my first flight? How can i get out that far again? I flew the same route on both flights and i am using the stock controller (i do plan to order the dbsmods extender when i get some money together.)
The day you flew well your neighbor turned off their wifi. It's back on now. Hehehe ;)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The day you flew well your neighbor turned off their wifi. It's back on now. Hehehe ;)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I did wake up and fly a bit earlier than i usually do today, you may have a point.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik