Differences in Camera Guards

Reaction score
So I am deciding between two camera guards,

This one by UAV bits for $35 including shipping:
http://www.uavbits.net/store/p19/Carbon_Fiber_Camera_Guard_for_DJI_Phantom_3.html

and this one by skyreat for $17.50 including shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/SKYREAT-Gimba...651328&sr=1-1&keywords=phantom+3+camera+guard.

Since one is half the price of the other, and they are both carbon fiber, is there any reason to go with the more expensive option? I don't think there are differences in carbon fiber quality that could make a difference, my only concern is that the cheaper one has thinner support through the mid-section, than the more expensive one. Would that likely give it less strength in a crash, or should I expect the difference to be negligible? Thanks for the advice.

I have not personally compared the two, but I have used other UAV Bits products and all are very well made. For that reason alone, I'd feel better spending the extra on a product I know would work well.

Reactions: Netsquash
I haven't seen the Skyreat one. I have the UAV Bits one which works fine - my only issue with it is that it is rather expensive. A little competition may be a good thing.

Can't speak to the Skyreat guard as I have the UAV Bits one.

The cross-member on the UAV Bits guard is wider on one side, which is intended to give wider coverage to the ribbon cable, which is exposed on the right side of the gimbal. It is also engineered in a way that the wider portion is JUST BARELY cleared by the camera when it goes through it's startup movement. It doesn't appear that the Skyreat model offers the wider protection for the cable, but let's be honest...we're talking about maybe a half-inch of material.

Interestingly, the item description says the Skyreat is "adjustable". I'm not sure what that means. If the guard is installed in any other way but ONE, I can't imagine that it wouldn't either obstruct the camera or VPS functions.

It also seems like the mount points where the Skyreat guard connects to the landing gear might be more robust than the UAV Bits guard, though without seeing them side by side one cannot be sure.

As far as strength goes, the UAV Bits guard does have some flex to it. It is not perfectly rigid and can be flexed slightly (less than an inch). Build quality seems fine. The carbon fiber is attractive, though the edges could be considered somewhat sharp, and I'm sure if you were trying you could cut your skin with it. I like it personally, and don't regret the purchase. Shipping was extremely fast and packaging was more than sufficient.

If nothing else, UAV Bits included an Andes Mint in my package, which was TOTALLY worth the extra $17.50. :)

Kidding of course. My guess is that there may be negligible differences between them. If you want wider ribbon cable coverage and some chocolate, go UAV Bits. Wanna save a few bucks and put the leftover cash toward other goodies go Skyreat. Either one should help reduce the risk of the landing gear folding up in a crash and damaging your camera (such as what happened to me).

I have used UAVbits guards on my P2V+ and P3. Great build quality. Perfect customer assistance, and highest quality materials. I personally won't consider any other camera guards.

Good posts, I wonder if anyone has any experience to share with their UAV bits or other camera guards in a crash/ hard landing?

Neither one indicates the thickness of the material. I made my own from a sheet of carbon fiber.

I can vouch for the UAVbits guard, it goes on perfectly, and does not obstruct functionality

Ah yes, the country you are shipping to makes a large difference in the price. Prices I quoted were for USA shipping, the equation is totally in favor of UAV bits for outside the US. For the piece of mind of knowing its good construction, I'd say its definately worth the price to do its job when you need it to.

Good posts, I wonder if anyone has any experience to share with their UAV bits or other camera guards in a crash/ hard landing?
I had the UAV bits camera guard on my P2+ when I experienced my one and only crash. I would like to say it saved the camera but that would not be the truth. But, to be fair, it hit really hard onto pavement. The camera head separated from its gimbal and not in a good way. Otherwise not too much damage. I searched for used cam-gimbal assemblies but, not surprisingly, did not find any. I will probably get a UAV bit protector for my P3.

The Phantom bodies are tough but the camera is the Achilles heel. It looks, and is, very vulnerable. The camera guard helps somewhat. But I think future Phantom designs need to be more like the Lily Drone where everything is equally tough. I'm sure the Lily doesn't have comparable optics and stabilization so I guess I'll still take my chances with the P3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic