Differences between P3 Standard and P3 Advanced?

You can compare all of the differences here.

Lightbridge is leaps and bounds better technology. And just for the extra distance is worth it. Also most 3rd party apps don't work with the standard but are in development from what I have seen.

Both have the same camera. Both say they can do 720p video downlink. The P3S has a range of 1km and the P2A with Lightbridge has a range of 3.5km.
Is range the biggest difference?
The standard uses analog transmission (Wifi) whereas Lightbridge uses digital encoding which makes it more reliable and allows higher data rates at further distances.

Reactions: Meta4
Plus the P3A has a slightly better camera sensor than whats in the P3S - and the Advanced TX has more switch functions for control aspects of the camrea and direct tablet/phone connection and monitor out sockets - Plus the VisualPositioningSystem. to name a few.. :)

Here's the thing.....$$$$$$'s. Yes there's the wifi verses lightbridge thing but that's not that big of an issue...or at least to me it's not. I've got a P2V+ with DBS that will get out 2+ miles with wifi and I have no problems. Yes the controller has more bling on a P3A then the P3S but they both do the same thing that most of us want, take video and pictures. The only other thing that might really make a difference besides the $$$$$ is range. To many the $$$$$'s offset the range.

If you're starting out and have a limited income, buy a standard. It's not going to hurt as much if it comes tumbling down. P3S's have been going on sale in various places for various prices. Target had them on sale last week for $349 or half as much as a P3A. If you're comfortable flying and not so worried about losing a bigger chunk of change get the P3A or P3P. They're all fun to fly. I fly my P2V+ and P3S just as much as my P3P's and enjoy them all.

What? I thought both Wifi and Lightbridge are the same, using embedded digital data transferred over analog waveform?
No, these are different technologies, but both use 2.4Ghz. Both use digital technology, however Lightbridge is a one way transmission of video, like a digital TV broadcast. In addition to the video broadcast down to the ground, a separate 2.4Ghz RC digital signal goes up to the craft to control navigation.

Wi-Fi uses TCP/IP that includes a lot of two way handshaking, just like your computer uses. These TCPIP handshakes insure that every bit makes it to the destination, but increases latency and shortens video communication distance because of dropped bits having to rebroadcast all the time. In fringe areas you get lots of dropped frames, and the behavior and time to reconnect is worse with Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi is cheaper to build because of all of the off-the-shelf chips available, used in laptops. However TCP/IP was never designed to broadcast video over the air efficiently, thousands of feet away with low latency, like Lightbridge.

With video transmissions we don't care about a bit being dropped, it's not important. The increased distance and a more consistent low latency video is way more important. So a one way broadcast of video data works better in several respects.

1. Lower and more consistent video latency
2. Longer distance communication
3. Quicker reconnect times at fringe distances when video is lost
4. Earlier tell-tale signs of wandering into a fringe area (screen static) with Lightbridge, instead of sudden video drop out with WiFi.
5. Better penetration through trees (but not much).

Lightbridge is the bomb! And so far only DJI offers anything like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
No, these are different technologies, but both use 2.4Ghz. Both use digital technology, however Lightbridge is a one way transmission of video, like a TV broadcast.
Thanks for giving more detail explanation. I am just a bit surprised when rene van der meer says wifi is analog transmission while Lightbridge is digital encoded. I thought his statement is not accurate because wifi is also digitally encoded too, just that Lightbridge is DJI's proprietary technology for better and longer range signal transmission.

Reactions: rene van der meer
I will NEVER buy a wifi drone again. Too unreliable and problem prone!

My fathers wifi unit went out on his bird. $200 to fix. Mine shortly after started to develop the same issues. At times I couldn't even get 150 feet away from me without the video cutting out!

The P3A I'm MUCH happier with. The range/build quality/video quality is top notch compared to the P2V+ I used to have..

I will NEVER buy a wifi drone again. Too unreliable and problem prone!
Yes, me too! I'm so sold on the "broadcast" architecture of Lightbridge that I won't buy anything else either, until someone copies the idea and truly competes with DJI. Right now nobody competes with DJI's Lightbridge. I'm wondering how long that's going to last.

Qualcomm announced their drone module at CES this month, hoping to dominate selling flight controller and communication chips/module to the drone market, as they do in the cellphone market. I asked a guy in their CES booth if they have any plans to compete with Lightbridge. He didn't even know what Lightbridge was, so it appears this particular guy wasn't in tune with the drone market. He did say that Qualcomm has invested in DJI, so I've gotta believe their technical folks know what Lightbridge is, and how important it is. I predict within a year Qualcomm will have something to compete with Lightbridge, just a hunch.

Thanks for giving more detail explanation. I am just a bit surprised when rene van der meer says wifi is analog transmission while Lightbridge is digital encoded. I thought his statement is not accurate because wifi is also digitally encoded too, just that Lightbridge is DJI's proprietary technology for better and longer range signal transmission.
Noodle, you are right. Both use digital transmission, but Lightbridge is a down-link only especially designed for digital video transmission and is less susceptible for interference with other Wifi sources. See also Live video-Wifi or Lightbridge? | DJI Phantom Forum

I've flown both. You forget just how much of a fiddle it is to connect to the wifi system when you're used to the lightbridge plug and play. Having said that, for close range stuff the Standard is probably ok - but when there are trees, spires, hedges etc in the way, gimme Lightbridge any day.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj