Difference in flying time vrs different chargers??

Reaction score
As I continue to chew of the differences some people report in their flying time with loaded copters, one of te potential variables I have not seen discussed here is the possibility we are all NOT starting out with equally charged...otherwise equal capacity...batteries.

I have only the stock supplied charger. If i is not giving me as good a charge...my flying times are going to be shorter no matter what, props, motors, etc., etc..

Has anyone ever noticed a difference between chargers...maybe when adding one or upgrading...amp/charging times, etc. resulting in a better charge/longer flying times??

All that matters is how much charge you put back in to the battery. A decent charger will tell you this.
Flight times vary due to differences in aggressiveness of flight. A lot of turning, stopping, starting, climbing etc. will drop your flight time significantly. A hover will last a lot longer.

I suppose a decent charger may be charging the battery more reliably than a cheapo one but I'd say that many other factors affect flight time in more significant ways.

rilot,
I would agree with everything you said.....except....we still have the reality that some people out there are charging around at crazy speeds and maneuvering...with very heavily loaded Ph's....for LONG flight times that are quite anomalous to what some of us...certainly me,,,can come close to reproducing.

I am thinking specifically about Martcerv ...but there are others....who have in my book 100% credibility...who put up continuous aggressive flight videos...weighed down with gimbal, camera, and fpv...lasting longer than *** at age 68.

Differentially charged batteries would explain this difference...better than any other theory at this point. I am just asking....since we all seem to take the equality of charging as a given. Yes, there are cell voltage checkers, but how sensitive are they to full charge versus, say 90% charge, assuming each battery in fact is equal....which I am sure they are not.

I stopped using the stock charger as I wanted more info on the batteries. Seeing how much I am outting back in and also what voltage I was at when I finished the flight. I bought a couple imax b6 chargers and I also charge my batts at up to 5a but always balance charging. A properly working charger should get batteries to the same level but with no info the stock charger wont tell you if it got in a full charge or not if it has an issue.

The stock charger doesnt give you much info and its good to know if you get all cells balanced and back to their 12.6v for your next flight.

Flying style also has a fairly large effect on battery life and since getting the osd I can see in realtime what sort of flying has more or less effect on batt drain. Very handy and as this info comes direct from the naza on the dji miniosd the info is pretty accurate. I did have to calibrate my battery within naza as at first it was reading 12.8v when in fact it should have been 12.6v. Now my voltage without load matches what my charger has before and after flights so im pretty confident its accurate.

For what it's worth,.
I have a stock DJI charger, an Accucel6 (digital readout) charger.. and a hobby king battery tester.

When charge up my batteries with the Accucel, and then test them on the tester, they usually read like 96% capacity.
But when I use the stock DJI charger, I sometimes get 97 or 98% charges!
So I can honestly guess that I might get slightly longer flights with my stock charger!@#

But honestly,. flight times are so different every time I fly. sometimes just a few extra ascents can really sap a battery it seems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers