Difference between compass calibration and compass dance?

Reaction score
Okay I searched and I find a lot of references to the "Compass Dance" and how it's not the same as a compass calibration. However I've yet to find an explanation of what it is exactly. Someone please enlighten me on what the "Compass Dance" is and how is it performed?

U.M.

Re: Difference be tween compass calibration and compass danc

I believe they are one in the same, no difference.

Re: Difference be tween compass calibration and compass danc

juche1777 said:
I believe they are one in the same, no difference.
Not based on a handfull of threads on this board. Seems they are not the same from what I'm reading. Just can't find a post outlining the difference between the two.

U.M.

Re: Difference between compass calibration and compass dance

Then I'm curious to know what the difference is, because the only calibration I know of for the compass is the DJi dance (compass dance) ;)

Is there some type of compass calibration available in the NAZA Assist software by chance? Maybe they are referring to that versus the compass calibration done in the field (The Dance).

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Is there some type of compass calibration available in the NAZA Assist software by chance? Maybe they are referring to that versus the compass calibration done in the field (The Dance).

U.M.

Nope!

You are confusing the compass calibration - which should be done at each new location that is a significant distance from your last calibration (compass dance), with the resetting of the compass using a magnet (not needed in most cases).

You reset the compass when the total in the calibration mode (in your Naza software on your PC) is out-of-whack and you can't get the compass to calibrate normally (you keep getting red/yellow lights telling you to calibrate). It is usually caused by getting the compass too close to a magnetic field. I think somewhere between 1400 and 1800 is general area it should be in (Mod value in the compass cal area in the Naza software). My P2 is at 1832 and it flies fine.

Here is a video that shows the de-magnetization of the compass so it will come into alignment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLHzzX2ykKw

Compass calibration =

With the Phantom plugged in the assistant software, the claibration consists of using a magnet and wave it around in a circle in front of the ***. This will calibrate within the spec numbers. Please note you may have to do this prodecure multiple times.

The values in each field should be between -300 and 300 and the MOD should be closest to 1600 as possible.

Once completed, go outside and do the dance.

The calibration should not be done regularly, but keep close watch on these numbers in the assistant software.
Even with the dance, these numbers can be very close to be out of spec and some have speculated it may be a reason for Phantom odd behaviors and possibly a flyaway on the slighest magnetic interference, although no one knows for sure.

One makes you look stupid and the other doesn't. The compass dance is a particular method of calibrating the compass which makes you look like you are dancing by yourself with a small toy.

Ericdes, what you are referring to is degaussing which is a process to remove magnetic distortion on the compass but is different from the calibration process.

ianwood said:
One makes you look stupid and the other doesn't. The compass dance is a particular method of calibrating the compass which makes you look like you are dancing by yourself with a small toy.

Ericdes, what you are referring to is degaussing which is a process to remove magnetic distortion on the compass but is different from the calibration process.
+1
The only difference is with one you stand still and rotate the bird in your hand, 'The Dance' is where you hold the bird in both hands and rotate your whole body 360º spinning around like a Ballerina :lol:

F6Rider said:
ianwood said:

+1
The only difference is with one you stand still and rotate the bird in your hand, 'The Dance' is where you hold the bird in both hands and rotate your whole body 360º spinning around like a Ballerina :lol:

Also:

'The Maypole' - holding the Phantom in front of you at arms length and running around it in a big circle to rotate it.

'The Crank' - standing in one place and rotating just the Phantom, hand over hand.

'The Kegger' - lifting the Phantom just a bit off the ground while you stand hunched over it face down and shuffle around in a circle trying to keep your balance

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik