Did You Know....#1(RTH TIP)

Reaction score
This is a heads up for those that may not know this as I didn't until a few days ago.

Did you know....that when you are in Return To Home mode, while the aircraft is flying back to it's set Home Point, you are able to Yaw the aircraft and gimbal both to any direction while the aircraft continues on it's course to Home Point.
I call it Buddy Mode cause it's like someone else is flying the aircraft for you, allowing you to continue to record or take pic's of whatever. And then it's really cool when you watch it back cause you see things you normally would not pay attention to due controlling the flight.

So the next time you fly out to some distance, after selecting RTH remember you can yaw both the camera and gimbal. Of coarse the gimbal has it's usual limits but the aircraft can be steered in 360 degree's.

If you like this tip select the Like option on the lower right and maybe it will motivate me to post other tips at some point.

Now go try this tip out and come back and share the experience!

Thanks, i like it. Never knew that.

upload_2015-8-26_9-22-19.png

Reactions: envisionabove

Snap! the old RTFM has meaning.

This is a heads up for those that may not know this as I didn't until a few days ago.

Did you know....that when you are in Return To Home mode, while the aircraft is flying back to it's set Home Point, you are able to Yaw the aircraft and gimbal both to any direction while the aircraft continues on it's course to Home Point.
I call it Buddy Mode cause it's like someone else is flying the aircraft for you, allowing you to continue to record or take pic's of whatever. And then it's really cool when you watch it back cause you see things you normally would not pay attention to due controlling the flight.

So the next time you fly out to some distance, after selecting RTH remember you can yaw both the camera and gimbal. Of coarse the gimbal has it's usual limits but the aircraft can be steered in 360 degree's.

If you like this tip select the Like option on the lower right and maybe it will motivate me to post other tips at some point.

Now go try this tip out and come back and share the experience!

Your a good member here Frank, thanks for the tip....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: flyNfrank

That is rather different from what I pointed out. Your image paste is saying the operator can take over the command of RTH if a collision is about to take place. I just put up a tip show how you can have some fun with it.

Reactions: envisionabove
That is rather different from what I pointed out. Your image paste is saying the operator can take over the command of RTH if a collision is about to take place. I just put up a tip show how you can have some fun with it.
Yes, you gave it a new twist, one which hadn't occurred to me even though I have the manual almost memorized! I had paid attention to the collision avoidance aspect of the manual. I hadn't considered the "auto pilot'' aspect which could let me focus (so to speak) on video or photography.

Your a good member here Frank, thanks for the tip....

Thanks envisionabove. The 1st time I tried the above tip, the 1st thing I said to myself was,..."who needs a Inspire1". It would be nice if we could self-adjust the flight speed.

Now if they would just bring back home lock, which would allow all of the above - including speed - WITHOUT requiring the ascent triggered by RTH.

Nice tip, Frank.

Note to self: try the button. ;)

Now if they would just bring back home lock, which would allow all of the above - including speed - WITHOUT requiring the ascent triggered by RTH.
If you're holding your breath, you wont have to much longer. ;)

Thanks envisionabove. The 1st time I tried the above tip, the 1st thing I said to myself was,..."who needs a Inspire1". It would be nice if we could self-adjust the flight speed.
I've practiced both RTH and Failsafe landings with my bird and have to agree they sure come in hot. When I see my P3P racing across the sky I think it's going to overshoot the LZ every time! As it approaches "Home" (overhead) it seems to be at full speed, and then suddenly throws out an anchor and within 10 feet is hovering and then descending. Very impressive indeed.

Reactions: unclejas
Thanks @flyNfrank. Great tip!

I've noticed how quickly my P3P returns to home when I've used it. I'm impressed no doubt.

I also tweaked my gimbal to move the camera 30 degrees above the horizon within the DJI GO app. Surely makes for some interesting pans such as if you want to start near the bottom of a structure and pan down as you fly upward for instance.

I'm surprised so many did not know this. I like to do full 360 spins/yaw at low speed. In some conditions you will see the landing gear but it still looks pretty cool later

Your Phantom will only ascend for RTH if it is flying below your RTH height.

Yes I know that. My RTH is 200 feet. If all I want to do is come straight back while shooting video with yaw, I don't want to surrender control and limit myself to 200 feet and above.

You can actually completely control the craft. You guys should test this stuff so you know how it acts when s* happens. :)

Thanks @flyNfrank. Great tip!

I've noticed how quickly my P3P returns to home when I've used it. I'm impressed no doubt.

I also tweaked my gimbal to move the camera 30 degrees above the horizon within the DJI GO app. Surely makes for some interesting pans such as if you want to start near the bottom of a structure and pan down as you fly upward for instance.

I've only seen the setting to move the camera 15 degree above the horizon. How do you get the full 30?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1