Did some crazy lake flying on a cutboard promo video

Reaction score
Had an opportunity to do some filming shooting a promo for a company out of Michigan called Rocott that has created a hybrid wakeboard / slalom water ski.

Although it was filmed in South Carolina in December, it was 37 degrees when we started filming at sunup.

The speed of the boat pulling the skier was between 30-35mph so I had to stay ATTI mode all day. Sometimes I was in the boat, sometimes I was on the dock. Pretty hairy at times but fun.

http://vimeo.com/116457173

Re: Did some crazy flying on a cutboard promo video

WAY cool!

Captain Obvious said:
The cutboard thing? I don't see the appeal at all but to each their own.

It's different for sure.

Nice job! Was that you on the doc at 1:24?

Captain Obvious said:
badbrad97 said:
Captain Obvious said:
Bummer about the jello in there towards the end. Flying from a boat is fun though.

The cutboard thing? I don't see the appeal at all but to each their own.

It's different for sure.

I guess that is what you get when you are flying at 40 mph into a 15 mph head wind. (at times)

Captain Obvious said:
badbrad97 said:
flying at 40 mph into a 15 mph head wind.

Max speed of P2 in still air is approximately 33 mph. There's no were that you were flying at a 55 mph equivalent.

I hit about 45mph on this flight in very light wind conditions.

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/marc-m-ElKOHIOO/

I've seen around 60mph with P2's in this challenge: http://www.flytrex.com/challenges/speed/phantom-2/
Not sure about their wind conditions....

*edit* updated link to only show P2 flights for the challenge.

Captain Obvious said:
badbrad97 said:
flying at 40 mph into a 15 mph head wind.

Max speed of P2 in still air is approximately 33 mph. There's no were that you were flying at a 55 mph equivalent.

In ATTI mode my screen is reading between 17 and 23 Meters per second. (38 mph to 51mph) I wasn't always flying into the wind but when I was flying with the wind I was hitting 50.

The speedometer on the boat was reading 35 and I was able to gain on him and pass him.

sdtrojan said:
Nice job! Was that you on the doc at 1:24?

Yes. I did some flying from the dock and also from the boat. Flying from the dock tested the range of my video TX when they would go around a corner into a cove with the trees blocking. A couple times I had to stop and fly up high enough that I had LOS over the trees. Flying from the boat was easier for sure.

Captain Obvious said:
Yes, I am sure that I have a Phantom. What an odd question and suggestion. It's too bad that a little bit of jello got you so wound up.

I don't mind that you noticed jello. I DO mind when you make a stupid statement like the top speed of a phantom is 33 MPH and that I must be lying. Trust me I was pushing 50mph at times "with" and "against the wind".

You are just a douchebag and I am not the only one saying it.

I feel pretty sure that you will get banned shortly.

Edit** Captain Obvious got banned.

I've seen 50+ mph but always WITH the wind... AGAINST the wind it should theoretically not be able to hit that kind of speed... our lateral speed is determined by the limit of the tilt the flight computer allows. in GPS mode, the Phantom will tilt 25 degrees. in ATTI, it will tilt 35 degrees. in zero wind, those translate roughly to 25 and 35mph respectively... so hitting MORE than zero-wind speed, AGAINST the wind just doesn't seem possible from a physics standpoint :)

so there's no actual "speed" restriction on the Phantom 2 at all. in ATTI where there's no GPS-position holding, your top speed is really however fast the wind is blowing, assuming you're going with the wind.

Captain Obvious I'm neutral on you right now but a few times I've seen you post in a... let's call it less-than-friendly demeanor... you sometimes come off as confrontational or aggressive so take that for what it's worth. Again, you haven't directly offended ME, but I can see how the attitude of some of your posts can rub other guys the wrong way... so either actively be a little more friendly, or just be prepared for other folks to get hostile.
either way, one or both parties need to take the high road and drop it. letting stuff devolve into insults doesn't help anybody and just gets threads locked and people banned.

We have a few semi-famous trolls on this forum, being jerks and constantly getting banned, signing up new usernames from new IPs. best not to feed the trolls.

In closing, it is "obvious" that the Captain can read the manual. You should try getting out and flying both of your Phantoms once in a while. If you had, you would notice that you can fly 40-45+ mph with no wind.

And you will ALSO notice that when you turn into a head wind, that your Phantom doesn't immediately drop from 40 mph to 25mph. I can say this from experience. You won't find it in the manual.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31