Did my first ATTI and RTH practice today

Reaction score
I must say the ATTI mode will take some getting used to. It was a bit breezy and that made it interesting...lol.

The RTH was impressive. I have mine set to 30m. I was impressed how close it got even in a breeze.
Also...Is there a setting in RTH so that the bird will hover upon return instead of land? I looked but didn't see one.

Before and after:

f885183ee4fe08c350138db10c2e22fc.jpg

46d0b451e94c55504491271ba97ecc6f.jpg

Last edited:
Yes! Read the manual and start out slow.

Did you get the Advanced?

I'm honestly not sure if I got the advanced or standard, it was 500.00 from Best Buy! Just excited to fly it! Going to the beach next week so should be fun

I'm honestly not sure if I got the advanced or standard, it was 500.00 from Best Buy! Just excited to fly it! Going to the beach next week so should be fun
I think the Advanced is easier to fly but they both have details that should be understood before getting carried away with the bird.
Have fun. You're gonna love it!

Last edited:
Reactions: cwhale97
The RTH was impressive. I have mine set to 30m. I was impressed how close it got even in a breeze.
Also...Is there a setting in RTH so that the bird will hover upon return instead of land? I looked but didn't see one.
If you make 10 RTH landings you'll see that they are always close to launch point, usually within 10 feet (often closer) but not always the same lace.
That's because of the variable inaccuracy of consumer GPS.
There is no setting to return and hover.
But you don't need to allow RTH to land for you.
If you have signal, you can cancel RTH at any time and resume control.
Most flyers can pick a landing spot better than blind programming can.
It probably has it on the box.
Other ways to tell are red stripes for the standard and a metallic plaque on the front that says what model it is.
You need to know so you can get the right manual and start reading.
Here they are:
Standard:- https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/pha...antom_3_Standard_User_Manual_v1.4_en_0112.pdf
Advanced:- https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Advanced_User_Manual_en_v1.8_160719.pdf

If you make 10 RTH landings you'll see that they are always close to launch point, usually within 10 feet (often closer) but not always the same lace.
That's because of the variable inaccuracy of consumer GPS.
There is no setting to return and hover.
But you don't need to allow RTH to land for you.
If you have signal, you can cancel RTH at any time and resume control.
Most flyers can pick a landing spot better than blind programming can.

It probably has it on the box.
Other ways to tell are red stripes for the standard and a metallic plaque on the front that says what model it is.
You need to know so you can get the right manual and start reading.
Here they are:
Standard:- https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/pha...antom_3_Standard_User_Manual_v1.4_en_0112.pdf
Advanced:- https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Advanced_User_Manual_en_v1.8_160719.pdf

Yeah I looked at my receipt! It's the standard, thanks I'll start reading!! I get it tomorrow

RTH also serves as a great poor man's course lock; you can rotate the bird, adjust the gimbal, throttle up or down and change altitude on the way back. If you throttle up while in RTH the positioning inputs added by the bird show up on the playlist playback. This can be handy to determine winds aloft. I found a notch between two hills where a high wind lurks at middle altitudes. I could not figure out why flying at 200' produced reduced flight times. So I did an RTH at that altitude with some throttle addition and the playback showed like 45% auto input to the left side of the right stick to hold course.

I love reading stories from newbies. Makes me so nostalgic.

Im one of the newbs lol. Had 2 previous "toy" drones that only had atti mode and id say im "ok" at flying but now with my P3P i enjoy flying much more as ive only ever used Pmode (and F mode) which both use gps. Havent tried atti mode yet. Still abit nervous with such an expensive AC. Ill have to find a nice open field and practice.

Im one of the newbs lol. Had 2 previous "toy" drones that only had atti mode and id say im "ok" at flying but now with my P3P i enjoy flying much more as ive only ever used Pmode (and F mode) which both use gps. Havent tried atti mode yet. Still abit nervous with such an expensive AC. Ill have to find a nice open field and practice.

My practice came in handy for this bonehead launch I never should have done.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My practice came in handy for this bonehead launch I never should have done.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Oh that looked fun!!!

If by fun you mean terrifying...then yes.
Yes looked a wee bit too windy. Im surprised you chanced a flight in those conditions, especially from that take off point lol!

Yes looked a wee bit too windy. Im surprised you chanced a flight in those conditions, especially from that take off point lol!

Also, this was launched from a concrete table that has reinforcement with metal rebar in it. A big no no.
The bird went into ATTI mode as I got out over near the ocean. It was very windy also.
Lesson learned

Reactions: 3rdof5

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31