Did I ruin my battery?

TCW

Reaction score
Ok, first off I am a certified bone head for this...there, I said it. I was doing a little flying around my yard to discharge the batteries to 50% for storing them. I remove the battery and let it cool in ambient temps. So for my last flight, with the others already cooled down, I was "hurrying" the last battery's cool down with a little help from the freezer. Was going to only be a for few minutes, what could it hurt, right? Well today when I opened my Phantom case, I said "Hey, where's my 4th battery"? You guessed it, 24 hrs at sub freezing. What would you do with it? I haven't even put it in the bird yet. Anyone done something like this? Advice please...

Let it thaw out at room temperature. There is nothing else you can do at this point.

Don' t think there is any liquid in the battery so let it come to room temperature in not so warm area so it won't sweat. After that put the power button to seeing if the led's come on. If it does hold down power. Button and see if all four led show up. If all looks well take the charger and battery outside with and extension cord away from house and give it a go. Put it on and in a no flammable area just in case it decides to burn. If it charges fine then you should be good to run it for some test flights low and close.

Don' t think there is any liquid in the battery so let it come to room temperature in not so warm area so it won't sweat. After that put the power button to seeing if the led's come on. If it does hold down power. Button and see if all four led show up. If all looks well take the charger and battery outside with and extension cord away from house and give it a go. Put it on and in a no flammable area just in case it decides to burn. If it charges fine then you should be good to run it for some test flights low and close.

The LED's do light to the charge level, 2nd led blinking so I guess I'll start with a full on charge next, outside of course..Then see what the App page looks like for each cell..Any other thoughts?

You could put it in your lunch box to keep your tuna salad sandwich cool.

Seriously, if you're worried about condensation as it thaws, there's the old rice trick.

It should not cause much harm. esp if it dont get to condensated when warming back up to room temp... and even if you feel it might of been a bone head thing to do dont beat your self up to much over it. at worse if it has any negative effect its going to just effect the total capacity of the battery like age and use will also do with lipos. If you were getting 18 mins you might only get 17 or 16 now. or if getting 20 might now might only get 18 or 19. BUT more then likely not going to hurt them to bad considering they get shipped to people in the winter months and they get colder then a freezers 9 degrees F. in lots of places. Heck I am in upstate ny and there are times when things could get shipped in the cold we get here in the dead of winter to the point that putting one it the freezer could be used to warm them up when its below zero degrees F outside.

Just run throught all the normal checks after charging. Then when you fly for the first time I would stay close and low to make sure you get the correct fly time out of the battery. Have to test enough to know it's ok and to build back confidence that it is. Good luck!

Reactions: J.James
Good points you've all made. Well it charged up fully, no issues. Now just to keep it low and close the first few flights until it regains my confidence. I'll be looking at the battery diagnostics in the Go app for issues. Thanks all.

Reactions: J.James

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik