Did I just make a mistake?

Reaction score
I just ordered a good luck buy gimbal. I was planning on getting an fpv setup for my phantom next. Not so much for aggressive flying, but for framing shots with a monitor. The gimbal I ordered is the one where the gopro fits into a kind of cage with the tilt motor being on the right when looking at the lens side of the camera. I believe that will stop me from attaching the cable from gopro to vtx. Have I ordered the wrong gimbal for what I want to do, or is there other options?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

NCHoytArcher said:
I just ordered a good luck buy gimbal. I was planning on getting an fpv setup for my phantom next. Not so much for aggressive flying, but for framing shots with a monitor. The gimbal I ordered is the one where the gopro fits into a kind of cage with the tilt motor being on the right when looking at the lens side of the camera. I believe that will stop me from attaching the cable from gopro to vtx. Have I ordered the wrong gimbal for what I want to do, or is there other options?

most gimbals, even the cheap ones, are designed to allow you to connect a USB/FVP cable in some capacity,
but guess you might possibly have to alter that cage to allow you to connect a USB at some point, either before inserting into the cage or partially inserted into the cage.

Im in panic mode now, looking at the pic it looks like there may be some space in the side. I'll guess I'll know in a couple weeks. Haha. I've got a disco I plan on putting the majority of my fpv investment in. Just wondered if I was in trouble here

u8adequn.jpg

It looks like there is space on that side and slots for wires. I'm probably worried for no reason. Was sitting here making the shopping list for my FPV from readymaderc. Saw the gopro to vtx wire and panicked.

I would be more concerned of the excess weight from the cage, ..never saw that type.

I'm guessing you might possibly have room to fit a USB cable in there show how.

But I can't help but wonder...why on earth did you go with THAT gimbal!?

Not to terribly worried about weight. Probably not as much as I should be. Im flying with the vision props and stock 2200 lipos with just the gopro in the stock mount and getting 12 minutes now. Something about the ones that have the Velcro strap that holds the gopro in. I just don't like them. I know I have sacrificed a bit of flight time. But this will not be the last gimbal I put on here. I plan on waiting around a bit more and picking up a zenmuse once the 3 axis craze hits. I looked at all the options, like the tarot, and a couple others. For what I need, this will do. My Phantom will be solely for AP at this point. Most of my trips out with my quads will be a coupke trips up with the phantom for some vids and pics, them Im pulling the discovery out. I've got plenty of batteries. Not a big deal if I need them all for a good 15 minutes of total flight time, Haha. I guess the biggest reason I chose this over the other goodluckbuy type gimbals, is the cage. This maybe my inexperience speaking, ut that velcro strap holding the gopro on doesnt thrill me. Also, cheap, easy to setup, and paid for completely by eBay gift cards from Xmas.

I have this gimbal in black... There is room on the side to add a cable to your GoPro for your FPV, as long as the cable is a right angled cable (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d4a43b62...

I would suggest you NOT use the front cover. It will lighten the weight of your Phantom... You can use a strap instead (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Velc...242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdb37319a... Vibrations cause the front plate screws to loosen in flight anyway. The strap will work just fine and you'll save on weight, as I said, and your GoPro is protected in the rest of the 'cage.'

The gimbal works GREAT! Right out of the box... No noise... Very smooth...

Watch the included video below. It was the first day I tested my gimbal (no FPV). You can see how rock steady it is by observing the horizon and watching my prop guards bouncing around... I have since added a controller on the 7th channel, and have given up on the guards to lower my Phantoms weight... (sorry for the annoying music).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pw9sR-03Ks[/youtube]

NCHoytArcher said:
ut that velcro strap holding the gopro on doesnt thrill me.

Let me tell you, the idea of a velcro strap bothered me for a LONG time. I didn't like that my Tarot used a tight retaining ring and freaking BOLTS to hold the GoPro in - my camera goes on and off all the time for non-aerial use. I thought it would just fall off with the velcro strap, or more likely, separate in a crash and I'd never find the camera.

Well, I took the leap, and now have maybe 30 hours of flight with the velcro. It doesn't come loose at all, I've even had a really bad spill in manual mode and shattered a whole lot of props, and one of my landing gear legs worked its way free. But the camera was still attached by the velcro.

I'm pretty confident in it now.

personally, given a choice between using fine machine screws, metal to metal with no lactate on them so that you can get the camera off as needed, and velcro, I'd use the velcro every single time.
it (Velcro) has very impressive shear strength, even when it's badly worn. If you were to crash your multi hard enough to dislodge the camera and separate the velcro, I doubt it would matter whether you get the camera back anyway; it'd be destroyed by the crash anyway.
I agree it isn't the most elegant "looking" solution, but velcro is awfully darned good at holding things together

Phantasmic said:
NCHoytArcher said:
I guess the biggest reason I chose this over the other goodluckbuy type gimbals, is the cage. This maybe my inexperience speaking, ut that velcro strap holding the gopro on doesnt thrill me.

You would be absolutely terrified by my Tarot then.
Yeah that's crazy. Everything I've seen on the non-gimbal discos has a rubber band holding the gopro on. Not doing that. So, going off all of your recommendations, I ordered a couple Velcro gopro straps off eBay today. One for the Phantom gimbal, one for the disco.

Yeah that's crazy. Everything I've seen on the non-gimbal discos has a rubber band holding the gopro on. Not doing that. So, going off all of your recommendations, I ordered a couple Velcro gopro straps off eBay today. One for the Phantom gimbal, one for the disco.

The screw-on ring for the Tarot is really poor design, well, maybe not poor, but what a hassle!

Here's another solution many of us have gone with, they even have a polarized lens option.
so much more practical than the screw on ring and it offers protection!

Attachments

• LayerLens-GP3-2.jpg
    LayerLens-GP3-2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 390
Gizmo3000 said:
The screw-on ring for the Tarot is really poor design, well, maybe not poor, but what a hassle!

Here's another solution many of us have gone with, they even have a polarized lens option.
so much more practical than the screw on ring and it offers protection!

where to purchase?

Well it appears as though I did make a mistake. Got the gimbal, it doesn't work. I get the green light on the sensor, a red light on the board, and that's all. It just hangs there. Not real happy with this. They are not being real quick with a response either. This sucks. Got a trip to Florida next weekend. Back to the old anti vibe mount.

PJA said:
I have this gimbal in black...

Hey PJA, would you mind doing a video or photo tour of setting up that gimbal onto your Phantom? I would like to get a gimbal but the Zenmuse is more than I want to spend and aren't sure about how to get everything setup w/ other brands. thanks.

FlyingFanta said:
PJA said:

Hey PJA, would you mind doing a video or photo tour of setting up that gimbal onto your Phantom? I would like to get a gimbal but the Zenmuse is more than I want to spend and aren't sure about how to get everything setup w/ other brands. thanks.

I bought a Goodluckbuy Gimbal a few months back and asked for help on this forum to get it working also... Here is the thread http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2904

Hopefully this will give you some insight and get you started... If you have any other questions, just ask...

Below are some pics of the wiring set-up...

12125468933_44493c54e8_k.jpg

PJA said:
FlyingFanta said:
PJA said:
Hopefully this will give you some insight and get you started... If you have any other questions, just ask...

Below are some pics of the wiring set-up...

Thank you for posting. Are the black cables for each of the 2 axis?

Do you have a URL for the goodluckbuy gimbal this is? thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31