Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Did I buy a P2 v1 or v2?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by dptcalvin, Nov 29, 2014.

1. dptcalvin

Sorry for the newb question. Searched and couldn't find what I am looking for. All the info on here seems a little more advanced and technical than, "what version P2 did I get?" Hence my thread. Sorry for the annoying newb question...

I just bought a P2 yesterday on a whim. Found it at B&H for $729, then decided to do a little reading about P2s in general and found this forum. Now I'm reading about a v1 and v2 - how do I know which one I'm getting (it won't be delivered 'til Thursday)?

Edit: here is a link to the one I bought: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _with.html

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to reading and learning more!

2. MacCool

I think that's the older version. B&H is clearly labeling the new version as "v 2.0".

3. dptcalvin

4. dptcalvin

Thanks for the reply, MacCool!

$729 vs $958 ($229 difference)...Is worth upgrading to the v2 you think? Will a newb like me really appreciate the difference?

I see the new v2 says, "Updated Transmitter with Gimbal Control." Does this mean I will have no control of the gimbal at all with the v1 that I got?

Edit: I see that I can add pitch control via a 3rd party add-on.

5. Beckman

6. MacCool

The version 2 has upgraded, more powerful motors, a descent lock on the left stick (I'd disable this), lipo battery on the transmitter with condition LEDs. Is it worth the $229? I don't know - depends on how dear the $229 is to you. They're nice tweaks, but I'm not sure they're cost-effective for a brand-new pilot. Personally, my view of future-proofing means buying the latest technology that's on the market and to me, the extra money for the v 2.0 is worth it.

The price difference at $859 vs $958 is a lot closer to being a good deal, IMHO. Assuming that "The Drone Source" (which is where that Amazon offer ships from) is a legit operation. They're not listed as an authorized DJI dealer. B&H OTOH is a rock-solid operation with about 35 years of excellent customer service.

7. ThePhantom

I got my P2 v2.0 + Extra Battery and Bag for $899 (new). BH cant beat that.

8. dptcalvin

Thanks, again!

I normally believe the same in regards to "future" proofing, but I think my $229 would be better spend elsewhere in this case...like a couple extra batteries, for example. As a newb, I think I'd value the increase flight time more than more powerful motors and new props, etc. Regarding the remote, I actually prefer it take AAs than a Lipo, so there's that.

Like you said, if it was $859 vs $958...it'd be a different story. I won't buy things from Amazon unless they're fulfilled by Amazon - at least not for expensive stuff like this. The v2 from Amazon is $899 (though I have to pay tax since I'm in CA) and it's $958 from BH.

I think I'll be happy with the v1 and a couple spare batteries. Thanks for everyone's input!

9. dptcalvin

Sure can't. If that deal comes around again, then I'll jump on the v2 train. But for now I am sticking with the v1.

10. MrC

MrC

11. MacCool

No. If you look hard enough you can find better prices than B&H, but I'll pay extra to buy from them if I have to just to avoid customer service and support hassles. Any extra money I've spent with them over the last 35 years has been money well-spent just to avoid customer service headaches that come with many of the those rock-bottom discounters. Good customer service costs money, and it's money that I'm willing to pay.

12. dptcalvin

13. dptcalvin

Okay, broke down and ordered the v2. Wish I wasn't so trigger happy with the v1 as now I have to pay return shipping back to BH, making the cost difference greater than it has to be.

14. ThePhantom

BH's customer service is world class, no doubt about that.

15. dptcalvin

I'll agree. I typically limit my online shopping, particularly for large purchases, to Amazon (items must be fulfilled by Amazon), Adorama, or B&H.

16. BigPig

I guess I was lucky! I bought my P2 v2.0 & H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal from B&H for $829.99 the day they got them in stock last week. Now I see they're $$899.99!

Attached Files: