Did DJI return a refurbished P4 or new?

Reaction score
I sent my P4 to DJI for a stress crack repair. I got it back today with a different serial number. No stickers on the arms like when opening a brand new one. Question: is there a way to tell if it's refurbished or if it's a new one? If it's refurbished then I have no idea of how much mileage the motors and such have on them. I'm I over thinking this or should I be grateful for what they sent back provided all is well?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Jog. . . . I too have a Phantom 4 being returned to me via UPS with different serial number. I inquired to April at Support and she advises that they had to swap out because mine was not repairable, even though I flew it several times after my crash and after I followed daily the on line repair assessment and repair all the way to shipping, then the serial number changed! However, she did tell me via email that the drone coming back to me Thursday is a new one! I have read on several forums about not getting the correct one back but never about getting a new one so I am still skeptical. I'll update my posts Thursday after I get UPS delivery and check it out. Hope yours is new also!
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: jogforfitness
I received my P4 from repairs yesterday (due to structural cracks, etc from a crash). Checking the S/N, I noticed it is different from the one I sent in. My sense is this is a new unit; the refurbished units have an R at the end of the serial number. I'd email them just to be sure what I got.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

If it was a new unit for sure you will have to re bind your controller and activate the unit and register it to your email. Otherwise its someone else's crashed craft repaired and someone in the future will get yours after they fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If it was a new unit for sure you will have to re bind your controller and activate the unit and register it to your email. Otherwise its someone else's crashed craft repaired and someone in the future will get yours after they fix it.

I sent the controller as well to DJI. It came back already bound to the P4. The drone now has a different serial number. I registered once ages ago so, I don't recall, is there something I need to do to reregister this craft with a different serial number?

I sent the controller as well to DJI. It came back already bound to the P4. The drone now has a different serial number. I registered once ages ago so, I don't recall, is there something I need to do to reregister this craft with a different serial number?

Unfortunately a "brand new" drone can only be registered once when you go through its activation.

Whatever it's worth as I share my DJI repair experience,,, Upon further inspection of what was sent back: SN of RC and Gimble is the same as my original according to their email. But, the SN on the body/in the battery compartment- is different. The repair was to replace the top shell and fix the gimble which was always pointing a few degrees to the right. Interesting.

Whatever it's worth as I share my DJI repair experience,,, Upon further inspection of what was sent back: SN of RC and Gimble is the same as my original according to their email. But, the SN on the body/in the battery compartment- is different. The repair was to replace the top shell and fix the gimble which was always pointing a few degrees to the right. Interesting.

The gimbal pointing a few degrees off can be fixed by turning the gimbal the opposite direction to the end point a few times while the craft is off.

According to feedback from DJI, they replaced the gimbal on my P4. They asked that I send them the new serial numbers (shouldn't they have this info?!) so they can bind/link it to my DJI Care service contract. (I didn't need to reactivate the P4, only bind it to the RC).

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I think the statement where it says "there will be an R at the end of the serial number" if its Refurbished,
I think that is DJI making that up just mislead owners that are receiving back a new drone but really its a refurbished (if your lucky) secondhand unit.
I received a replacement P4P unit with no R at the end of the serial number, it definitely was not a new unit and marks to show it was clearly secondhand and was faulty and had to be sent back, still waiting for a replacfement

My experience; sent my 2 month old P4 to DJi Europe for a lose motor and got back a complete different refurbished unit.
This unit was (already sent it back with gimbal/camera problem) over 8 months old and according to the internal logs and had been in Afghanistan (registered footprint).
After exchanging a few emails, they said that the refurbished unit has the same guarantee terms and that if there's any problem they would repair as per guarantee.
On first flight test, I noticed a problem with the footage and off it went, again, to DJi Europe.
I'm disappointed with repair service, mainly because they just replace the unit and send you another one.
On both cases they haven't charged anything.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj